PDA

View Full Version : It's killing me!

markdmiller
03-12-2007, 08:52 AM
I recently purchased a Giant TCRZero. This old man has gone from being regularly dropped to occasionally dropped by the “hammerheads.” I now have 200 miles on the bike. However, the seat is ^&*%^ killing me. While I never have high expectations regarding seat comfort on a road bike, neither do I wish spending half the ride performing “jumps,” just to get through. What can I do?:confused:

Pink
03-12-2007, 09:12 AM
Congratulations, you've just started a new hobby -- collecting saddles. http://www.pedal-on.com/images/icons/icon9.gif Unfortunately the only way to find a saddle that works for you is to try it. There's a current thread started by Kelly about female saddles -- basically saddle comfort is not gender specific.

It has been mentioned that Performance & Terry (who does sell male saddles also) have a return policy. Good luck!

Legspeed
03-12-2007, 09:32 AM
If comfort is truly your goal and you can suffer the occasional snicker from the insufferable posers, I would heartily recommend the Selle Anatomica (http://www.pedaltheplanet.com/store/itemmatrix.asp?Groupcode=SADD057&eq=&MatrixType=1&Agent=Froogle).

markdmiller
03-12-2007, 09:58 AM
If comfort is truly your goal and you can suffer the occasional snicker from the insufferable posers, I would heartily recommend the Selle Anatomica (http://www.pedaltheplanet.com/store/itemmatrix.asp?Groupcode=SADD057&eq=&MatrixType=1&Agent=Froogle).

Mr. Speed,

Do you use this saddle? At first, the saddle was digging into my seat bone. I developed a saddle sore which is healing. While it no longer digs (or digs as much), the discomfort starts about 60-90 minutes into the ride and doesn't remit.

britspin
03-12-2007, 12:33 PM
I assume from your post going from regularly dropped tp occasionally dropped, you rode before, what did you do with your old saddle? just a thought.

markdmiller
03-12-2007, 01:00 PM
I assume from your post going from regularly dropped tp occasionally dropped, you rode before, what did you do with your old saddle? just a thought.

I thought of that, too. It's on consignment. This saddle is a better saddle, or so I thought.:eek:

JFK
03-12-2007, 01:26 PM
I happen to love this saddle (http://saddleco.com/flowmain.html). YMMV, of course, but it's worth a shot.

Legspeed
03-12-2007, 01:32 PM
Yes, I do. Surprisingly, it required almost no break-in period (like other leather saddles) and was almost immediately comfortable. My latest long ride of 260 miles was just as comfortable as my first 26 miles on it.

IMHO, "better" means more comfort. I've had $10 saddles that were "better" than those costing 10 times as much. Were I you, I'd swap saddles with your consignment.

megale3
03-12-2007, 01:59 PM
Mark I will add this saddle for you to look at
Fizik Arione Wing Flex- simply the best I have ridden.
http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/reviews/arione.shtml

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/reviews/arione/arione-main.jpg

Tolzer
03-12-2007, 02:20 PM
http://www.biketiresdirect.com/Images400x267/ASCHC-1.jpg

This always helps me with the saddle sores.

In order to further increase riding comfort, we recommend the use of ASSOS Chamois Crème. The ASSOS Chamois Crème reduces friction and keeps your skin cooler. It prevents inflammation and has antibacterial properties. Apply directly on the skin (avoid intimate areas) before each ride. Furthermore, after every laundering, apply a thin layer onto the shorts' insert. This to maintain suppleness, elasticity and antibacterial properties. Used by many professionals regardless of the brand of their shorts. ASSOS Chamois Crème –

Tolzer ;)

Pink
03-12-2007, 02:20 PM

Meg, Mr. Pink rides this one and is thinking of replacing it. Maybe he could send it to Mark...

megale3
03-12-2007, 02:34 PM
Meg, Mr. Pink rides this one and is thinking of replacing it. Maybe he could send it to Mark...

I don't know if I would want to ride a seat that someone has already brioken in. I would wonder how old the seat is.
meg

Todd S
03-12-2007, 02:48 PM

I bought one of these based on rave reviews and never really liked it. It's now been relegated to my fixie.

Just goes to show how everybody's butts are different.

My all time favorite is a plain old Selle Italia SLR.

megale3
03-12-2007, 02:53 PM
Just goes to show how everybody's butts are different.

Kind of like MHR :D

markdmiller
03-12-2007, 03:35 PM
Pink,

That's a generous offer. PM and we can workout the details just in case my butt is different than Todd's. It's gotta be prettier!:)

OTOH, my old saddle was an Selle Italia, too. It was a more comfy than my new saddle, but nothing to lose sleep over.:rolleyes: I was hoping for more comfort. My new saddle is the %^$^&$ Fi'z:k Aliante Delta w/Ti-rails. It came with the bike.

I currently use Chamois Butt'r that works pretty well. I just forget to use it when all is going well. It has similiar application instructions mentioned by Tolzer's cream.

Just wondering if cycle shorts play a role in all this or is it butt specific?

Lizardbiker
03-12-2007, 03:55 PM
Cycle shorts can also play a big role - Not quite as much experimenting as with saddles, but there's all different types - gel, multi-density... Some have seamless chamois, which further reduce any chances of chafing and subsequent sores.

kszspin
03-12-2007, 05:55 PM
That's a generous offer. PM and we can workout the details just in case my butt is different than Todd's. It's gotta be prettier!:)

I believe we'll need some pictures. Can we start a picture thread? :p

megale3
03-12-2007, 06:05 PM

Ewwwwwwww girls only:cool:
Meg

markdmiller
03-12-2007, 07:15 PM

It's why my 2nd wife married me, or so she said!!!:D

JFK
03-12-2007, 10:17 PM
Just wondering if cycle shorts play a role in all this or is it butt specific?

Yes! Shorts do play an important role. That is, if they're good, they won't cause problems, but if they are bad, they can be very, very bad.

First, just in case no one ever told you, do not wear underwear! (I'm sure you knew that, but for others reading who perhaps didn't know). Second, treat the shorts like underwear. Wash 'em after every ride and (if you really want to kill the bugs dead) put them in the dryer. Yes, it shortens their lifespan, but lots of nasty bugs survive in your washer and even with an antibacterial chamois, all of mine go in the dryer. I'd rather have to spring for new shorts than spend a few weeks off the bike b/c of a saddle sore (BTDT, ouch!)

Experiment with different types of shorts, make sure they're not too big (bunching can cause chafing) and don't change more than one variable at once (ie saddle, shorts, pedals, saddle cream) so you can figure out if you're making improvements.

And finally, I'll put in my $0.02 for Noxzema (sp?) as a chamois cream. It's cheap, water soluble (not good for tri) and smells fresh, too. :rolleyes:

Also, a good shop will let you try saddles and ride 'em a bit before you buy. It's worth trying them serially and seeing what fits your undercarriage best.

kspin
03-13-2007, 05:20 AM
You all may know this already but... My friend recently opened a bike shop (you probably didn't know that part) with a group of her friends- all hard core cyclists and/or adventure atheletes. Anyway, they have this thing in there that you sit on to get an imprint of your butt (and sits bones) and recommend a saddle based on that. Is that common place?

markdmiller
03-13-2007, 08:11 AM
[quote=JFK;52703]

"And finally, I'll put in my $0.02 for Noxzema (sp?) as a chamois cream. It's cheap, water soluble (not good for tri) and smells fresh, too. :rolleyes:"

So, after I shave my legs, I just squirk noxema in my shorts!!! That's way to kewl!! With a cheap creme, I can afford perpeuteum (sp)!!:D

Legspeed
03-13-2007, 08:56 AM
they have this thing in there that you sit on to get an imprint of your butt (and sits bones) and recommend a saddle based on that. Is that common place?
More and more. The Specialized line of saddles are "sized" by this method.

megale3
03-13-2007, 10:17 AM
It's why my 2nd wife married me, or so she said!!!:D

Thats what they all say as they ask you to take out the garbage, and really thats the view that they want to see as you do take out the garbage :D
M

markdmiller
03-13-2007, 12:41 PM
Thats what they all say as they ask you to take out the garbage, and really thats the view that they want to see as you do take out the garbage :D
M

Or fix a leak underneath the sink!!:eek:

dessertqueen
03-13-2007, 12:45 PM
Thanks for taking the time to spell out some of these basic "personal" items. I found the info useful, and I'm glad that you shared the tips. Not everyone comes to this forum as a professional cyclist, and sometimes these simple points can make a big impact on those of us who are learning more about cycling--indoors and out.

I finally got my Christmas present--a new road bike, and I am SO excited. It was nice enough outside (above 40 degrees, yee-hah) to take a quick ride on it yesterday, and it's much faster than my old beater Schwinn. Looking forward to breaking in those new tires in the coming months!
b

JoyofSpin
03-13-2007, 12:56 PM
You all may know this already but... My friend recently opened a bike shop (you probably didn't know that part) with a group of her friends- all hard core cyclists and/or adventure atheletes. Anyway, they have this thing in there that you sit on to get an imprint of your butt (and sits bones) and recommend a saddle based on that. Is that common place?

OK is this the ass-o-meter that someone on another thread mentioned? I am trying to figure it out. It's nice to know that those xerox butt copies can be put to good use. Does it work if I have my own pictures? LOL

markdmiller
03-13-2007, 02:51 PM
Thanks for taking the time to spell out some of these basic "personal" items. I found the info useful, and I'm glad that you shared the tips. Not everyone comes to this forum as a professional cyclist, and sometimes these simple points can make a big impact on those of us who are learning more about cycling--indoors and out.

I finally got my Christmas present--a new road bike, and I am SO excited. It was nice enough outside (above 40 degrees, yee-hah) to take a quick ride on it yesterday, and it's much faster than my old beater Schwinn. Looking forward to breaking in those new tires in the coming months!
b

As this thread proves, that's not the only thing you'll be breaking-in:rolleyes: ! Good luck with your new wheels!! I love mine butt not the seat!

markdmiller
03-13-2007, 02:52 PM
OK is this the ass-o-meter that someone on another thread mentioned? I am trying to figure it out. It's nice to know that those xerox butt copies can be put to good use. Does it work if I have my own pictures? LOL

I'm just wondering if you have to sit in vat of mud sans clothing!!!:eek:

dessertqueen
03-13-2007, 08:46 PM
As this thread proves, that's not the only thing you'll be breaking-in:rolleyes: ! Good luck with your new wheels!! I love mine butt not the seat!

**Thanks! I must have ample padding, because usually it's only my knees that get sore, not my rear!!
b