PDA

View Full Version : Youth Cycling Classes????

scubapooh
03-05-2007, 04:36 PM
Today, my gym asked me about teaching kids spinning/cycling classes. The kids would be ages 10-13 (14 and up can take adult fitness classes). What are your thoughts on this? I personally have an 11 year old that I would love to get in the class, he definitely needs to improve his cardio.

I'm not sure if a 45 min. class is too long or if I should go with more a 30 minute class. Has anyone taught a youth class?

Any feedback is appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Michele

Pink
03-05-2007, 04:46 PM
Michele,

I'm running out of the door so I don't have time to answer, but I'll add a thread where we discussed this:

http://www.pedal-on.com/showthread.php?t=3078

I'm sure others will have some additional comments.

Hope this helps.

sandy
03-05-2007, 05:27 PM
I actually gave a class to around 30 or so kids in that age group. Our gym was working in conjuction with a local school and on a few occasions they would have the kids come in and do a circuit. Kickbox for 20 min. Spin for 20 min. and do a express type workout with machines for 20 min. All supervised of course. Well, it was interesting. Just getting them set up , giving them safety instructions was tiring. You have to be so careful because they just jump on the bikes and start messing around. Some of the smaller ones could not even reach the pedals with the seat fully lowered. All I can say is it makes a big difference if you have another instructor walking the room to eye any potential problems. I would never do a reasonable size group without help. They did really seem to like it though. Also have to play music they're into to make it fun. I would scratch the Chemical Brothers and play Nelly!

bikerchick2
03-05-2007, 08:02 PM
Bike adjustments I think would be your biggest problem. I taught a high school cycle class and they fit okay. But I know they tried some younger kids on the bikes and it just wasn't a good fit. Older kids seemed to enjoy it as long as I was entertaining and played good tunes. I was shocked at how out of shape these kids are.
good luck!

melt66
03-06-2007, 07:20 AM
I'm actually taking the teen spinning courses. I don't know about tweens, but I have a 15 year old; and her & her girlfriends love being gym 'rats' (or brats as I call them).
Inside, outside, whatever gets them moving & motivated is ok in my book.

stb
03-06-2007, 07:38 AM
We just started an adult/youth cycle class. It is actually going well. It does take quite a while to set the kids up - and you do have to make sure they fit - but so far that hasn't been a problem. They have to come with their parents if they are 11 or 12 (they don't if they are older). For the most part - those are the ages where they are pedaling like mad and for the most part - their parents are helping with the resistance (telling them to put more on). I like it - it is a challenge - you get to talk a lot more (!) - and it allows parents to hang out with their kids on a whole different level (the parents take cycle classes anyway - so they bring the kid into their world). I can see some of the kids really taking to it and I bet they will become outside riders too.