PDA

View Full Version : How to properly clean Lemond bikes

bikerchick2
09-01-2004, 08:29 PM
We have lemond bikes at our YMCA where I teach. We have been cleaning our bikes with an all purpose cleaner used by the maintanence people at the Y. One of the instructors is claiming none of us are cleaning the bikes properly because the wheel has some rust spots on it. I am concerned that maybe we are not using the proper cleaner. We all wipe down the bikes after class including the wheel. Please help if anyone knows the answer to this. Our Lemonds need a lot TLC, is this common among other Lemonds or are we beating ours up?:rolleyes: :eek:

dlr
10-10-2004, 01:34 PM
I'm surprised I haven't seen this!

We teach about 5- 7 classes a day EVERY DAY at our gym, and we haven't had one rust problem. With 70 bikes, I'm sure we'd have problems if people weren't wiping the bikes down, but so far, we've been good. Every person wipes their bike down after every class. I do believe the maintenance people also come in and wipe down after all classes are finished. They use a very diluted-in-water, mild soap solution and a soft cloth.

It works very well for us. Again, we've had our bikes since RevMaster started making bikes in 1999, and we've had NO issues with rusting whatsoever. They look as good as the first day we got them, and as long as you wipe the bikes, raise the handlebars and seats, and take all the resistance off the bikes when you're finished with class, you should be ok. And as I said before, we run 5- 7 classes every day.

dlr
in Chicago

woodieknot
11-22-2004, 07:53 PM
....well, my wife and I have a Lemond in our basement for "fine tuning" our playlists. I agree with you, but to police a full class in the proper cleaning of the bikes is near impossible. We have "minimal" rusting but I fear some of our instructors do not take the time to inform the patrons in the proper care in wiping down the bikes after a ride.

FXjohn
11-23-2004, 08:03 AM
Wouldn't spraying them down with mineral oil at night or at least once a week take care of the rust problem?

dlr
11-28-2004, 01:44 PM
....well, my wife and I have a Lemond in our basement for "fine tuning" our playlists. I agree with you, but to police a full class in the proper cleaning of the bikes is near impossible. We have "minimal" rusting but I fear some of our instructors do not take the time to inform the patrons in the proper care in wiping down the bikes after a ride.
I don't see how it is impossible. As I said before, we have 70+ bikes and NO rusting after years of use. It's not impossible. It just needs to be drummed in their heads over and over again until they totally have it conditioned that they need to wipe the bikes down. It's not rocket science, and it's pretty easy to do. Instructors should do their jobs and supervise the people as they're wiping down bikes- I stand on the podium and watch everyone wipe bikes down after I've made my announcement just at the end of stretching to please raise the handlebars and seats, take all resistance off the bikes, and wipe the bike down. I'm not blind, and I'm sure your instructors are either. Don't let them off easy. It's their job to ensure that your investment is protected, and they should make that announcement at the end of every class. I've been teaching at the same clubs for years, but that's still the announcement I make at the end of every class. I'm not saying the members do it 100% of the time, but they sure do it 99% of the time. The other 1% of the time, the instructors are required to ensure the room is restored to it's pre-ride condition before the start of class, so we're responsible for anything the members can't, or won't do.

MAKE them do it. There is absolutely no reason why they can't take 30 seconds for something as basic as cleaning the bike down after class. Don't let them be a bunch of lazy @sses because they don't feel like it, then spend all their time griping and complaining 3 years down the road because the bike doesn't perform due to bad maintenance. Until this thread, I didn't even know for sure that the Revmasters rusted, which is further proof that basic maintenance DOES work.

dlr
in Chicago

bikerchick2
12-26-2004, 08:02 PM
:p Hi everyone...thanks for all the info. We are still having some rust problems. The seats are AWFUl. They are cracking and falling apart. :eek: What is up with that. I am worried spraying the bikes down with an regular cleaning solution may be part of the problem. I think some of the cleaner gets into the joints(like where wheel is attached) and later drips or sprays out and creates rust. Any info would be really appreciated.
thanks,
bikerchick2:D

Raindrop
12-27-2004, 06:55 PM
Regarding the bike seats splitting and cracking. We had that problem for awhile, but it was mostly due to people leaving gel seats on the bike, or not wiping down the bike seats. Personal trainers at the gym have access to the bikes, and it's usually after their clients have used them that I find the gel seats still on them. :mad:

Raindrop
12-27-2004, 06:57 PM
P.S. to my last post. I too am a personal trainer except I am self-employed so I'm not bashing trainers...just those who don't take care of equipment. ;)

veloceptor
12-31-2004, 04:51 AM
I purchased a pre-owned (gymnasium) lemond revmaster that had slight rust on it. I stripped the bike down, applied a hammerite primer and sprayed it the same yellow with automobile paint. Oiled the screws etc, and greased the bottom bracket and it works like a treat.