PDA

View Full Version : Elbows and hovers

eric8235
02-14-2007, 09:42 PM
I was out of town this week and decided to take a spin class at a gym in the area where I was visiting. This was a supposedly certified "Spinning" club. The instructor did something I have never seen before - at various points he had the class stick their elbows out to the side and as we pedalled we were supposed to twist side to side, swinging our elbows in synch. Has anyone seen this before? Is there any possible value to this?

This instructor also spent much of the class telling us our pedal stroke should be "all legs" and he admonished me for supposedly using my hips (my form is pretty good and I never bounce). As far as I can tell he was essentially trying to get us to do long hovers. Is this part of any indoor cycling program? I know that such a practice is contraindicated in Spinning.

I worked up a good sweat but I can't say that I really enjoyed the ride.

Raindrop
02-14-2007, 10:33 PM
As it been demonstated over and over again, apparently instructors feel the need to add their own "flavor' to their classes. It's not good for the participants that don't know "what's up", but for someone like yourself...consider yourself aware enough to beware of those type of moves.

catfish
02-15-2007, 09:50 AM
I learned long time ago this is quite common. I travel and try to get in a Spin along the way. I sit in the back. If the ride becomes an "eggbeater" I tune the leader out and just ride a Tempo or endurance ride in the saddle. If the leader asks why I am not going along, I say " I am just now comming back from an injury. When the ride is finished I will say "thanks for the ride" on my way out the door.

Catfish

kszspin
02-15-2007, 02:30 PM
I learned long time ago this is quite common. I travel and try to get in a Spin along the way. I sit in the back. If the ride becomes an "eggbeater" I tune the leader out and just ride a Tempo or endurance ride in the saddle. If the leader asks why I am not going along, I say " I am just now comming back from an injury. When the ride is finished I will say "thanks for the ride" on my way out the door.

Catfish

...and then you just continue to ride and all you keep thinking about is the $10 guest fee you just flushed down the crapper. :rolleyes:

eric8235
02-15-2007, 03:40 PM
The sad part of this is that this is a new gym that is trying to build its member base and this instructor constitutes their entire Spin program. That means that he is going to be the introduction to Spinning for many people. I emailed a gentle "critique" to the manager. They replied that they understood the problems with his "style" but many members like him (and on a personal level he is a very motivating instructor). They did undertand the need to hire some other instructors who teach differently as they expand their program.

catfish
02-15-2007, 04:55 PM
...and then you just continue to ride and all you keep thinking about is the $10 guest fee you just flushed down the crapper. :rolleyes:

The 10 bucks also gets me in to the facility to use the cardio equipment, weights, sauna, hot tub and shower. Flushing it down the crapper? its all in how you look at it. I have found some very good rides woth great instructors along the way.
Catfish

kszspin
02-15-2007, 05:36 PM
You're absolutely right catfish, I suppose I was being a bit over dramatic there. But there have been times that I have traveled and had only time enough to squeeze in the class and not use the rest of the gym, and I had "hoped", that I would be taking a class that was uplifting, passionate, great tunes, superb coaching, and all that jazz. When it didn't turn out nearly like that, I had to say, well I'm on the bike and riding so lets just make the best of it. :rolleyes:

britspin
02-16-2007, 01:58 PM
that I would be taking a class that was uplifting, passionate, great tunes, superb coaching, and all that jazz. When it didn't turn out nearly like that, I had to say, well I'm on the bike and riding so lets just make the best of it. :rolleyes:[/quote]

And with some ideas to steal?

kszspin
02-17-2007, 02:18 PM
And with some ideas to steal?

Absolutely! ;)

eric8235
02-18-2007, 08:44 AM
As a postscript to my story, I was telling one of my classes back home about my experience and they all started doing the elbow move. It turns out that another instructor at the gym where I teach does this all the time! Argh!!!!

maryannk
02-19-2007, 11:21 AM
I hate to sound like a spin snob ;) ... (newly certified but a participant for years).

But I recently moved to S. CA and joined a gym. I'm trying out all the cycling classes and most of the instructors are doing crazy moves on the bikes:

elbows out
pushups
swaying/speed up (I still don't understand this one)
hovering
getting 'real low' in position 3

When I was in NJ and VA, I had much more consistently good classes. Maybe it's a california thing?

I feel like these classes are a gimmick. I'm actually contemplating trying to get out of my membership. But this gym has a lot of classes offered and I can usually "customize" the ride so I don't do the gimmick moves but don't offend the instructor.

ACinNJ
02-19-2007, 01:05 PM
I hate to sound like a spin snob ;) ... (newly certified but a participant for years).

But I recently moved to S. CA and joined a gym. I'm trying out all the cycling classes and most of the instructors are doing crazy moves on the bikes:

elbows out
pushups
swaying/speed up (I still don't understand this one)
hovering
getting 'real low' in position 3

When I was in NJ and VA, I had much more consistently good classes. Maybe it's a california thing?

I feel like these classes are a gimmick. I'm actually contemplating trying to get out of my membership. But this gym has a lot of classes offered and I can usually "customize" the ride so I don't do the gimmick moves but don't offend the instructor.

If you know better...just don't do them and enjoy the rest of the class...music...work-out, etc.

melt66
02-21-2007, 09:36 PM
I just read this whole thread and laughed out the food I was eating!! I like your attitude Catfish ... I guess I know what you do with lemons!
I'd much rather complain about the STUDENTS. Going to find the right thread to do just that!

Ride on ...