PDA

View Full Version : Where do you hang your towel

MADMAX
12-07-2006, 12:23 PM
I hang mine on my seat slider to the rear of the seat. I was told as an instructor this makes your hands more visible to your students. I find no matter what I do my students will follow. I like to sit up once in a while and stretch I don't always cue my class to do so but they follow me in doing this it is almost like simon says. Sometimes I sit up so I can see the ones in the back just to check on them it seems that everyone has their favorite spot on the floor.

:) MAX

RaffCycles
12-07-2006, 12:30 PM
I hang mine on my seat slider to the rear of the seat. I was told as an instructor this makes your hands more visible to your students. I find no matter what I do my students will follow. I like to sit up once in a while and stretch I don't always cue my class to do so but they follow me in doing this it is almost like simon says. Sometimes I sit up so I can see the ones in the back just to check on them it seems that everyone has their favorite spot on the floor.

On the seat slider. Even when I take another instructors class, it's on the slider.

melanieann
12-07-2006, 12:32 PM
I wrap mine on the handle bar because I sweat so much that I would end up slipping off my bike face first if I didn't have somewhere to wipe the drips. Seriously, I sweat like a frenchman. Ooh La La.

marnster
12-07-2006, 01:03 PM
Over the cabinet door, right next to the bike. I try not to put in on my handlebars, since the MI for my orientation told us that non-verbal cues are just as important as verbal ones; therefore keep the towel off the bars. :)

melanieann
12-07-2006, 01:25 PM
I was told the same thing-handlebars are a no no. But it's either that or I end up slipping, slamming my face against the handlebars, falling off the bike while clipped in and breaking both my legs. Not to mention my pride. *shrug*

NJSpiner
12-07-2006, 01:28 PM
Ditto! and yes 1/2 french here.

I wrap mine on the handle bar because I sweat so much that I would end up slipping off my bike face first if I didn't have somewhere to wipe the drips. Seriously, I sweat like a frenchman. Ooh La La.

melanieann
12-07-2006, 01:32 PM
Hey, hey, hey....ME TOO!!

jsejt
12-07-2006, 02:18 PM
:) In the bottle holder.

I glisten a ton too. I didn't have a towell yesterday and had to use a roll of toilet paper to "towell off". I turned it into a big joke that got a lot of laughs. "Don't let me walk outa here with toilet paper stuck to my face." "You know like the girl in the club you don't tell she has paper on her shoes and she goes to dance." At least I gotta nice laugh. :D

Escandalosa
12-07-2006, 04:50 PM
I hang mine on the handle bars. I never even thought to put it on the seat slider since every now and again the maintenance people spray WD-40 on it to keep it lubed up and moving. That WD-40 gets on the towel and then you wipe it on your face.

megale3
12-07-2006, 07:51 PM

In the hamper or on back of the door in the bathroom:D
meg

ACinNJ
12-07-2006, 08:10 PM
I don't really hang a towel any more. After conviction, I give it a lethal injection, naturally after the towel has exhausted every appeal.

markdmiller
12-07-2006, 08:22 PM
Yeepers,

My towel is on the slider.

gigi
12-07-2006, 08:28 PM
when i teach i have my towel on the seat slider
when i am a participant, i like the towel easily accessible on the handlebars!!

moon, i am a tough girl too-- i sweat!

Ernestine
12-07-2006, 09:43 PM
I don't just glisten, I glow---fairhaired Irishwoman who turns all red (beet red) and drips.....therefore--handlebars. Can't understand why the hair of the other instructors isn't plastered to their heads like mine:rolleyes: .
Ernestine

monical1
12-07-2006, 10:16 PM
:o I think a lot of people at the gym are afraid to take Spinning after they see me leave a class. I could fill a bucket with the sweat from my hair alone.

Pink
12-07-2006, 10:18 PM
Slider.

Also, I'm very distracted/annoyed by the water bottle holders on the NXT's. I place my water on the stereo table next to me.

monical1
12-07-2006, 10:20 PM
Oh... and I keep my towel folded on the handle bars. I was also told by the MI not to keep it there but it's the "student becomes the teacher" habit I haven't been able to break.

Patrick
12-07-2006, 10:22 PM
Slider.

Also, I'm very distracted/annoyed by the water bottle holders on the NXT's. I place my water on the stereo table next to me.

They were a little disturbing at first, but I learned to love them. Unfortunately, they also give triathletes more support for a makeshift aero position.

Patrick

Patrick
12-07-2006, 10:24 PM
Oh... and I keep my towel folded on the handle bars. I was also told by the MI not to keep it there but it's the "student becomes the teacher" habit I haven't been able to break.

The idea of not putting in on your handlebars is so that it does not block clear view of hand positioning. Understandable, I suppose. I really don't like riding with a towel at all. I don't have one outside, so I typically don't inside either. I keep one nearby in case things get slippery, but I rarely if ever use it.... What can I say? I like to drip.

Patrick

raptor
12-08-2006, 02:17 AM
Handlebars, after I wipe them down with a sanitary wipe. I didn't get the taboo about handlebars until Patrick mentioned hand position. How convenient that I don't "do" hand positions. :)

I also sweat a ton. A hard ride will have sweat soaking into my shorts from my shirt.

Lynn

alexkaboom
12-08-2006, 09:04 AM
On the slider... but I rarely use it... it's a habit just to put it there... seems like my gloves catch all my glistening juice... :D

Alex

melanieann
12-08-2006, 09:38 AM
A.C. you are a twisted man, as usual. I had to read it twice...duh.

I don't glisten, glow or otherwise look cute in any way-I SWEAT. Buckets, think drowned ratish. I wish I did 'glisten'-that would be kind of sexy.

RaffCycles
12-08-2006, 11:04 AM
I use the towel indoors, as well as gloves otherwise I'd slip off the handlebars (especially on the old Schwinn Johnny G Spinners). I sweat buckets and the mat under my bike usually needs a mop to be cleaned up. I once dropped 6 pounds during a 40 minute ride. So talking about sweat, I'd give anyone a run for their money. In fact, I once had a rider next to me say, "I think you've got a hole in your water bottle." I had to tell her, "Yes I do. I keep drinking and it just keeps spilling from my pores.":D

Ernestine
12-08-2006, 10:32 PM
Ok~ off the record --do you think all this sweat can change the color of your colored hair? My stylist commented that it had gotten a little red and asked if we had extremely hard water. I wonder if it is all that sweat that is changing my beautiful blond locks to a more brassy tone? Hey--it happens to swimmers.....Ladies--let me know what you think.

E

humansieve
12-09-2006, 08:51 AM
I've always folded a towel and draped it through the hole in the center of the Schwinn handlebar. I never really liked it there and never saw anybody put it any place else, so next class I'm giving the slider a try..who knew. Sieve

Chas12
12-17-2006, 09:13 PM
I have been putting my towel on the handle bars when I use one but I think I will take the advice and not put it there so the students can not only see my hand positions but also body position. I never thought about the "slider". Thanks old wise ones!:)

NJSpiner
12-18-2006, 06:14 AM
Nope, the slider is not for me.. tried it a few times. The bars get all slippery with sweat and I fear of falling off them. :(

In the dimness of the spin room my hands are more easily seen against the white towel anyway.

melanieann
12-18-2006, 09:47 AM
E

I'm not sure to be honest with you. I have highlights in my hair also but I've never really taken the time to pay attention. Have you asked your hair stylist if that may cause the brassiness?

likefinewine
12-18-2006, 11:04 AM
The reason i was told to keep my towel on the slider was that most of the bikes have exposed flywheels, what would happen if the towel fell off into the chain and someone jarred thier knee.
I have witnessed someones towel falloff and into the brake mechanism so i tell everyone to put thier towel on the slider
In these days of litigation (in britain i don,t think anyone would sue) but in the states ho hum such is life

RichK
12-22-2006, 04:51 PM
I put my towel on the handlebars.

kszspin
12-22-2006, 05:11 PM
We ride the NXT's with the dual water cages on top. I fold a small towel into the left side one so I can put my "stuff" (stop watch and profile card) there. More like a cradle for them :p .
I don't really use the towel during class and it does not obstruct hand position view anymore than my large Spinning water bottle in the right cage does.

spinmomma
12-22-2006, 05:41 PM
Seat slider, never did it until I saw a participant do it, thought it was a great idea. Been there ever since!

Lizardbiker
12-22-2006, 05:55 PM
After all the past threads about thongs and bikini tops & scantily clad riders, there may be a new place to hang the towel...:o

Raindrop
12-23-2006, 07:23 PM
It depends on the bike. I teach at different clubs on different bikes, so...if the bottle holder is under the handlebars (ie. StarTrac), I'll hang my towel on that side simply because I sweat a LOT, and don't want that sweat mixing with whatever residual "stuff" is on the handlebars dripping onto my water bottle.

britspin
12-24-2006, 03:18 AM
When I get re arranged within my shorts, I hang my towel.....no wait a minute this is a family forum.

jsejt
12-24-2006, 09:39 AM
officially hijacked.

No I don't think sweat causes your hair to turn brassy. The reason swimmers have problems is due to the chemicals in the water. Depending on what kind of area you live in, if it has alot of smog or pollution in the air, that might contribute as well. Your hairdresser can put a toner in your hair to help out with brassiness, you could also try using a color protector shampoo/conditioner as well as a protein treatment weekly. The protein helps to fill in the hairshaft and helps to keep the color. You could also try a bonding treatment to protect the hairshaft as well. Hope that helps.:D

continuing the hijack.........

I just discovered this (very expensive) shampoo that helps save your color from turning. It's called Pureology and they have all the various forms of shampoo, curly hair, straight hair, etc. I use it a couple times a week to save the color from going brassy.