PDA

View Full Version : Keeping them on time and Quiet

RaffCycles
11-29-2006, 01:00 PM
I tried something new this week in my class. I have an individual that is perpetually late and loves to chat with anyone that happens to get the bike next to them. I knew in advance that this person would be late so I put a bike right next to me in front of the class. It worked great, the person couldn't talk to their friends and actually worked throughout the rest of the ride. They turned to me and asked if they were put next to me so they wouldn't talk and I said, "No, I put you there because you were late." They turned to me and said "Well I won't be late next time."

So now I don't have an issue with late arrivals since the last person gets to sit alone. I just hope I don't have stalker issues.:D

Escandalosa
11-29-2006, 04:07 PM
The other day I had two women talking really loudly at the beginning of class so I gave them a look hoping that would be enough. It wasn't and they kept talking so I shot them another look and nothing changed. So I finally couldn't take it anymore more and in my microphone I said, "can you save it for after class?"

They both got quiet and then a minute later one stopped pedaling, got off her bike and stormed out. I felt like yelling, don't let the door hit you on the way out. But I was a good girl and kept it to myself. The other woman stayed for the rest of the class and worked really hard.

A few days later my Group Fitness Manager called me and told me he got two complaints about me. They told him I told them to shut up (never said that) and that I wasn't motivating enough and that they would not be coming back to my class.

Such is life. I hope they find a class that lets them talk the entire time.

jsejt
11-29-2006, 09:44 PM
I personally don't care if people talk.

I love adult peer pressure. The members give the looks, stares, and scowls at the people who talk. I just spin away, and the members do the dirty work for me. he he he he he he

uh oh-one of those nights.

raptor
11-29-2006, 11:04 PM
That's what I do too, along with making sure the mic and music are loud enough to be heard clearly over any chatting.

Lynn

alexkaboom
11-30-2006, 08:11 AM
What seems to work for me is just the opposite... I start the class at the lowest setting of volume I can (mic)... rather quiet... so their voices drown mine... the rest of the class gets the hint and quickly coerce the "talkers" to be quiet... it works every time.

I have three school teachers in my Saturday am class and they are the most talkative! I always joke with them and ask them if they want to share their conversation with the rest of the class... they laugh and apologize... a little humor goes a long way!

Alex

ACinNJ
11-30-2006, 12:01 PM
What I've learned with talkers is that non-confrontation is the most effective way. Most times I've avoided the talkers and just kept up with my profile, they just stopped and joined. There's a difference with people being intentionally rude and just the appearence of some idle chatter.

I don't know what I would do in a Spin class if someone was intentionally rude, because frankly it's never happened to me. I mean, I know I wouldn't personally tolerate it, but I just never encounter it, and I know I've read hundreds of threads/posts about assorted nutcakes.

I think it's also a strategy to not let them see you flustered by it and stay focused on the task at hand.

RaffCycles
11-30-2006, 12:56 PM
This was a spur of the moment decision for me and it worked. We share a room with the aerobic classes so the bikes must be moved in and out for each Spinning class. I had the room set up and someone just showed up who didn't register so I gave them the one bike in the formation. I knew in advance that one person was going to be late, so instead of trying to fit the bike in with the rest of the students, I put it next to mine. It just so happens that this person is one of the chatty folks.

I jokingly told the class, if you're late you'll wind up on the bike next to me. Well everyone shows up on time now and I keep a spot open for that bike in the formation.

I don't mind some chatting, but when the chatting becomes a social calender planning session, I can see the rest of the class start to get frustrated. That is when I lower the volume for a short while and every word they say is heard by the entire class. Eventually the talkers will quiet down, so I haven't had to directly confront anyone.

kszspin
11-30-2006, 05:11 PM
I usually have people sitting on the bikes chatting before the class actually starts, I have pre-class music playing. Before I switch the cd out to the ride cd, I turn the mic on, music off, and ask them to bring their pedals to either a slow roll or a stop, sit up and bring the shoulders back, take in a long and deep breath and just listen to their exhale. Then I start the music....so the atmosphere of quiet is set, the focus now is brought to why they are there, to ride. In this way it becomes obvious to them that chit chat is ended. :)

cafehead
12-01-2006, 10:46 PM
OK, sometimes it gets a bit much but mostly a bit of chat is not so disruptive. First check out your own attitude and why you're worried. Once you're conscious of why it's a bother then act if needed. Otherwise you're no longer worried. Problem solved.

When I have fielded complaints from members about others talking they can sometimes be straightened out by pointing out that a bit of someones else's chat should be the least of their worries. Just another opportunity to bring focus to the ride.

OR, here's a trick that has worked and it follows Lizard's add humor datum. Tell the class at the onset of "chatter-problem" there will be some special breathing technique drills within the ride. To start with we're going to pick up the water bottle and whilst riding at a low/easy intensity I want you to take a fairly large mouthful of water and just hold it in your mouth. We'll aim for 1 minute and this will help bring in discipline around nose breathing. <<big mouthful>> INSTANT silence. Then, shit Gabby I'm sorry. Did I interrupt your conversation. Just tilt your head back if you need to keep talking. Just don't drown yourself.

May not offer a permanent solution but might get a laugh...

cafehead

Cheeze
12-02-2006, 12:06 AM
At the beginning of the warm-up when I walk 'em through the profile I also ask that all talking conclude at the end of the warm-up ........... and then if they have something to say to please wait until the cool down. My students respect my request but at times it looks like some of them are going to explode from holding it in for 30 minutes.

Cheeze

han-grrl
12-02-2006, 12:30 AM
I am very fussy about starting on time. I have received compliments on this even though some people get annoyed with it. In the feedback i received it was mentioned that the groups need a leader, and if you kind of let things go with the flow too much then it gives the appearance that the instructor can't really lead.

I let people chit chat at the beginning, but i let them know that when i start talking to listen so they know what to do. i have had a few "annoying" people who wouldnt stop and i told them that i appreciate the fact that they are enjoying each others company but the group can't focus when they are listening to their gossip. i approached them quietly and calmly, and they settled down after that.

werhans
12-05-2006, 09:02 PM
I have a "talker" in one of my classes too. He is a great guy, well liked & has a really good sense of humor. I've had students come up to me after class though & complain that they really like him but wonder what they can do to stop him from wanting to talk with him. If he is on a roll, I'll let the class know that my goal for the day is to work them so hard that so & so can't talk anymore. If he starts talking, I'll jokingly tell him he must not be working hard enough. If he starts to talk to anyone, they tell him to shut up cuz they don't want me to get harder on them because he is talking. He also wears a sweatshirt over his workout shirt, so other times I'll say that I know he isn't working really hard because he still has his sweatshirt on and it isn't even wet! I tell the class that I'm gonna work them hard until "he" stops talking & gets that sweatshirt off. I've actually had someone in the class yell to him to shut up & take the damn sweatshirt off! It was said in fun manner & he took it well, & I haven't had a lot of problems with him since those times.

I've also had times when there are more than just a couple of people talking. When that is the case, I turn the music up just a little and call out my instructions over the music & their talking and make a point of getting in more form instructions than usual. Usually they get the hint within a few minutes without saying anything to them.

There is always a little conversation here & there, but when it gets to the point of people complaining, you have to do something. Just know your people and deal with it according to what type of personality they have. Humor works best for me with almost everyone. I've never had anyone upset about telling them to quiet down.

RaffCycles
12-06-2006, 10:55 AM
I found another trick that works. I insert a period of silence (no music or talking) during some of my profiles and have the students listen to their pedal stroke. Their goal is to make it sound like one continuous movement, not like they can only hear the wheel strain against the resistance pads on the downstroke. I usually take them through a flat, seated climb, run and standing climb for 60 seconds each without music. I don't talk during this time except to cue the position change.

Once the class completes this drill, they stay quiet and are really focused on their ride. Even the chatty ones.

The power of the mind/body connection works in this case.

melanieann
12-06-2006, 04:42 PM
I have talkers too. I don't mind them actually. I just talk over them and they do get the hint. By the time the warm up and the fist song is over, they either can't talk or they have gone into their zone which is where I want them to be. I guess I would feel differently if the talkers kept on talking throughout the entire class, that would get old real quick. Especially if I was trying to scream instruction over them and others were not getting the ride they wanted because of the distraction. Maybe go over a few small ground "rules" before each ride-include them in your safety speech. You know something like "Remember this is your ride BUT I need to be able to communicate with everyone in the class so please keep the chatter to a minimum." type of thing.

likefinewine
12-18-2006, 07:45 PM
Sound like we all have talkers in class.
What i do is over the microphone to ask them to respect the others in the class who want to concentrate on thier cycling and form and if they talk they won,t be able to hear my instructions usually works.
If that doesn,t work give em a few standing runs they,ll be to out of breath to talk this works even better.
Dave

gilberth
12-18-2006, 08:06 PM
I take a core strength class twice a week at my gym. One of the worst talkers in this class is another instructor!
It's annoying too because she should set a better example.
Howard

seabiscuit
12-28-2006, 05:41 AM
Two things that I have found work well.
1. Interrupt their conversations by asking them personal q's
i.e. "Laura how you doing?" etc...
2. A little banter: If you can be talking, it means you're just not working hard enough. Do I have to come down there and personally add on your resistance?:)
3.Of course, there is always the music and my mic. getting louder and louder so that they can't compete:D

werhans
12-28-2006, 11:06 AM
I take a core strength class twice a week at my gym. One of the worst talkers in this class is another instructor!
It's annoying too because she should set a better example.
Howard
That's funny, cuz I have the same thing in one of my cycling classes & my stability ball class that I teach! Another instructor (she teaches yoga...maybe that's why she does it, because her class is more meditative & she can't talk much) comes and goes to the end of the row and chats through the whole class! It drives me up the wall! She is very soft spoken so it's not that she interrupts the whole class, but she engages 1 or 2 others and I can see them over there not paying attention. In my cycling class, she just does the basic movements & lightly pedals along. In my ball class, she drives me more nuts because her form is horrible & she has actually slipped off the ball or her form has been so bad she could get hurt. I am always telling them where they should feel the movement coming from, etc., so I'll correct her form several times (usually more if needed) to get the point across. It usually doesn't work and I get frustrated because she just doesn't get it. If I talked throughout her yoga class, she would have a cow! She is also someone who thinks they know everything about all forms of working out, so when I do correct her, she'll say she is feeling it when I know there is no way she can be or she tell me we must be doing something wrong because it's just an impossible excercise to do (although the rest of the class is doing a great job!). AAHHH!:eek: Anyway...if you can't tell, people like that do eat at me & that is a situation that I struggle with. Any suggestions on handling the know it all instructors who interrupt?

meems0465
01-22-2007, 09:39 AM
I personally don't care if people talk.

I love adult peer pressure. The members give the looks, stares, and scowls at the people who talk. I just spin away, and the members do the dirty work for me. he he he he he he

uh oh-one of those nights.

I agree - The regulars in the class take care of the habitual talkers. Also -- I tend to turn up the intensity to get them to be quiet and work harder. It works and the regulars know that is why I am turning it up a few notches.
If it IS a regular, I have no problem pointing ou to them the reason for the extra intensity. ;)

lrlloyd
01-25-2007, 09:05 AM
How we 'stuggle' with the talking issue. The bottom line is that when you're taking a class with an instructor you should respect the instructor. Most of us with children would not be happy if their teacher told us they were talking during instructional class time. Why we change our standards here I can't quite get my head around - yes its gorup exercise and it is social to a point - but when the class is going on and the instructor is talking its time to focus and shut up! an occasional comment is fine - we all do that but its the stream of conversation that is totally rude and disrespectful.

I don't go to church and talk during the sermon (ok I"m not saying its the same thing ;) I don't go to a lecture and talk during the presentation - yikes I don't even go to a movie and talk - its just common courtesy.

Oh yeah and I'm off to a class where the talking has become unbearable and I have to say something forceful - i've tried indirect - I've tried all the cute cues we have - I've tried even asking them outright to please keep it down but now I have to stand in front of the class and address is outright! Its become the culture of this club as a whole but I cannot hang with it anymore......

eeeerrrrrrr I'm tired of being the mommy....heheheh