PDA

View Full Version : Resume

Spingirl
10-02-2006, 05:46 PM
hi everyone - not sure right venue for this - but i am putting together a resume and wanted to get some input as to what one rights as the descrition and job duteis of a spin instructor ..
any and all help - greatly apprecited

Lori

raptor
10-02-2006, 11:38 PM
Get it spell-checked after you "write" it! :)

Select & mix music (unless you only use canned music), prepare workouts, motivate & direct exercisers to perform safely and effectively. Public speaking skills: use microphone, stereo, sound system. Physically fit, familiar with non-motorized machinery. CPR and other certifications.

Lynn

Spingirl
10-04-2006, 04:00 PM
thank you lynn and yes - spell check for sure - noticed that after i hit send;)

Paul S.
10-04-2006, 05:32 PM
Not sure you should put a detailed job description on your resume - the person reading it knows what it is. If you wanted, you could put down an objective, something like "Use my fitness knowlege, motivating music, and dynamic coaching to give every participant a great workout" (just came up with that now, don't have one on my resume). I would of course list all my certs, if only one cycling cert then perhaps a few workshops attended, very briefly describe my "regular" job and any relevant outside interests.

Not just spelling, but attention to other details is important. You're not a "spin" instructor. You're a Spinning instructor if you have the Mad Dogg cert, otherwise use the name of your cert or "group cycling instructor".

melly33
10-04-2006, 09:08 PM
Well in order for me to extend some suggestions, I have to say that I recently lost my job and am now on unemployment. Since I went to a 3 hour class today to offer some useful suggestion in applying what to put and so forth. I can tell you some of the things an HR Manager brought up.

Main Thing: Tell them how great you are. The speaker said he wants to know that you are an excellent candiate.

State specifically what you can do for them. They don't care what you want, just what can you do for them.
If you see a job posted, include specifically what they are looking for
If you do post your job or email it. Include as the subject Excellent Instructor or something along those lines.Actually I think you should post your resume and let us all have it. You will get a great resume in the end.

Just some thoughts

raptor
10-04-2006, 09:31 PM
Not sure you should put a detailed job description on your resume - the person reading it knows what it is.

The OP didn't say they were looking for a gym job. If that's what this resume is for, then simply "Group Exercise Instructor" or "Indoor Cycling Instructor" is enough. But there are a lot of people outside of gyms who have no clue what we do, and some inside as well.

Lynn

fitfan
10-06-2006, 05:34 PM
Spingal - don't only rely on spell check because it won't pick up words like form instead of from and you instead of your and my all time favorite - loose weight instead of lose weight so use the eyeball method. Also, have someone else proof it for you. Sometimes we can read it over and over and only see what we want to see. (Learned that one the hard way when a headhunter picked up a typo that I missed and I almost missed out on a great job).

Good luck!

snelson
10-06-2006, 09:15 PM
Be sure to list all your certifications and affiliations. One way to catch spelling errors is to read the text backwards. Also, you can find sample resumes online. Might check out your state's department of workforce services website (the unemployment office). They offer resume writing tutorials. Have a friend read it. Always put your best foot forward. Get a couple of reference letters. GOOD LUCK :)

spinboytoy
10-18-2006, 10:56 AM
When I look at resumes I want to see all the personal information. Address, home phone, cell phone, email address. I want to know that I can reach this person without difficulty. On that note, watch the goofy phone vmail messages.
I don't like objectives, would rather get right to the work history, short, no more than a paragraph for a recent job and 3 lines for an old job. List dates of employment. The exception would be if you have no experience in the fitness world or spinning than an objective (3 lines) would be fine.
List all your certs under education along with schooling.
Find the fitness directors name, and hand deliver the resume to them.
Remember, give them enough to want to speak with you, but not enough that they feel they don't need to speak with you!

mykespin
03-13-2007, 08:31 PM
Well after all of that advise, did you get a new job??