PDA

View Full Version : Drunken Director Update

ChrisA
09-25-2006, 08:55 AM
Not sure if anyone wanted an update, but wanted to post how things went this past weekend.
I was teaching cycling on Saturday AM when the drunken director came in to sub a muscle class. The girl who originally told me about the drunken step class (was taking the class and had the mic put on her head) groaned and said "oh no, I hope she is sober." I pulled her aside after class and suggested that she say something to management.
Another one of my regulars decided to interupt the conversation at this point to tell me that the director teaching drunk is not an unusual thing! I guess when teaching class in her drunken state, she tell her students "what happens in this room, stays in this room - you better not run and tell the owners about this!" My regular then told me that she assumes no one said anything to management b/c they are afraid of the drunken director!

Oh well - I did my part by referring members to management. We will see how things go. Unfortunately for them, I don't think anything will be done to remedy this problem.

JFK
09-25-2006, 11:28 AM
It sounds like this person (director) is really heading for a fall. It's sad, but there's really not much anyone can do until she wants to change her behavior. I would think that when you get to the point of being drunk at work, you are pretty close to the bottom, but I know there are others here who can better speak to this.

Good luck with this situation. It doesn't sound fun for anyone!

ACinNJ
09-25-2006, 12:23 PM
I think the "whatever happens here...." motto is more applicable to Las Vegas or Bangkok...not exactly in a group fitness class.

What's next? Whatever happens in the steam room stays in the steam room?

If you actually witness this person coming into work intoxicated...report it. Otherwise, I would run in the other direction when this lady headed my way.

ChrisA
09-25-2006, 12:26 PM
[quote=ACinNJ;34058]I think the "whatever happens here...." motto is more applicable to Las Vegas or Bangkok...not exactly in a group fitness class.

I was going to say the same thing. It is not spring break!

gilberth
09-25-2006, 02:03 PM
Being drunk at work, especially for the director, is stupid and pathetic. Add to that DRIVING to work intoxicated and you have an individual who cares nothing about hurting others in her downward spiral. She should be arrested.
Howard

JoyofSpin
09-25-2006, 02:12 PM
This is so far out there that I can't imagine the response I would give to the members who would confide in me. My best suggestion would be to have them write a letter to the management and not sign a name. That way the director couldn't place blame on any one individual. The memberwould just not have to feel guilty about doing it. I can't believe that they are putting up with this kind of crap. Members in the gyms I teach at are so critical of every instructor that they would be lining up to tattle on this instructor. I do feel sorry for her. I hope there are no kids involved. - Joy

carpediem
09-25-2006, 02:40 PM
Yikes...Put a bug in someones ear and let fate take over!!!

ACinNJ
09-25-2006, 11:15 PM
How can you bridge a person who showed up either drunk or hungover to a class, unwitnessed by the person who wrote the post, and write a referendum on alchoholic intervention?

Basically you/we have no idea what the drug of choice here is other than someone said she was drunk.

Drunk at work, unless it's a bar, is usually a fireable offense in most business places. If she is constantly drunk, no one notices? The club manager never noticed? The whole club, members, other instructors, everyone there is in on the secret?

BTF required blood and urine screening before I could be hired. The gym I'm currently wirking in required urine test before hiring me. Substance abuse in a health club is a pretty serious matter, including illegal drugs, alchohol, or abuse of persrciption drugs.

So...nobody there blows a whistle? We just go right to the 12 step program?

And why on Earth would anyone work in this place?

ACinNJ
09-25-2006, 11:55 PM
You're not the only one to have this disease/problem in their family. This person (the forum participant) does not need help dealing with alchoholism, she just needs to get another job teaching Spinning somewhere else.

As far as your experience dealing with alchoholism, in this particular instance, your experiences are not relevant. Alchohol is merely a drug of choice, or on a list of substances that are usually banned in the workplace. It makes no sense that in a club of adult members, no one was outraged to find an instructor under the influence of some substance and chose to use the "Vegas" approach, or don't ask, don't tell? In a class of 10-20 adults, no one felt the outrage to speak to the ownership/management?

The troll/sock puppet theory is sounding better.

JoyofSpin
09-26-2006, 05:44 AM
BTF required blood and urine screening before I could be hired. The gym I'm currently wirking in required urine test before hiring me. Substance abuse in a health club is a pretty serious matter, including illegal drugs, alchohol, or abuse of persrciption drugs.

Wow - AC really? I have yet to be asked to submit blood and/or urine for screening. Was this LA Fitness as well? - Joy

ACinNJ
09-26-2006, 05:52 AM
Not at LA. But you sign a memo understanding the rules of conduct.

ACinNJ
09-26-2006, 05:54 AM
AC what are you doing up anyway? :D

Sleep is overrated. I frequent many time zones.

ChrisA
09-26-2006, 02:13 PM
Just to clarify....I did speak to my student who witnessed this behavior and suggested that she tell management. Like I said, I have done my part and will see what happens. Of course if I witness this myself, I am going to say something! I will bide my time and continue looking for somewhere else to teach - which I have been trying to do for some time now.

The thing I don't understand is - how does management not know?!!! Or, how could a student who witnessed this not say anything? According to my student - they are afraid to say anything to management!

Todd S
09-26-2006, 02:55 PM
According to my student - they are afraid to say anything to management!

Wow. You do live in a Bazaro type world.

Where I come from folks are beating down the manager's door or writing letters if they run out of paper towels in the restroom or soap in the shower.

ChrisA
09-26-2006, 03:03 PM
Wow. You do live in a Bazaro type world.

Where I come from folks are beating down the manager's door or writing letters if they run out of paper towels in the restroom or soap in the shower.

I know! I have been one of those managers! If an instructor had an "off day" for some reason, if we played the wrong music over the system (classic rock was "too heavy metal") or the towels were folded incorrectly, I would hear about it. I guess that is why I can't get over this whole thing.

ACinNJ
09-26-2006, 03:35 PM
Is this club being managed by the Bush Administration?

JFK
09-26-2006, 06:53 PM

PoTD (post of the day!) :D

Kris, I'm sorry you have to deal with this, what a drag. It's pretty amazing that no one in management has noticed. Is this director somehow related to the owners or something? Does she have naked gambling pictures of them?

jsejt
09-26-2006, 07:29 PM
Wow - AC really? I have yet to be asked to submit blood and/or urine for screening. Was this LA Fitness as well? - Joy

AC & me. I had to submit blood/urine before working at my gym as well.

jsejt
09-26-2006, 07:31 PM
Just to clarify....I did speak to my student who witnessed this behavior and suggested that she tell management. Like I said, I have done my part and will see what happens. Of course if I witness this myself, I am going to say something! I will bide my time and continue looking for somewhere else to teach - which I have been trying to do for some time now.

The thing I don't understand is - how does management not know?!!! Or, how could a student who witnessed this not say anything? According to my student - they are afraid to say anything to management!

This gym sounds weird and farfetched, I personally couldn't respect them if they DIDN'T do anything and would look for another place to work.

jsejt
09-26-2006, 07:32 PM

Yes, and the drunk lady must be related to Clinton.

ACinNJ
09-26-2006, 09:57 PM
Yes, and the drunk lady must be related to Clinton.

Or...one of the Bush twins...or 'W' himself.

jsejt
09-27-2006, 08:26 AM
Or...one of the Bush twins...or 'W' himself.

Touche' :)

shadow
09-27-2006, 08:32 AM
My regular then told me that she assumes no one said anything to management b/c they are afraid of the drunken director!

Afraid? How so?

I can't believe that members aren't complaining about her!

gigi
09-27-2006, 09:47 AM
what's up with this club's mgmt?

i can't believe i missed this thread....

they need to get rid of this crazy instructor!!

ChrisA
09-27-2006, 10:02 AM
Afraid? How so?

I can't believe that members aren't complaining about her!

She is very abrasive and doesn't really think before she speaks? That is what I have gotten from her. Maybe the members feel the same?
We (the istructors) will get angry emails typed in all caps if she feels one of us "did something wrong" - anywhere from teaching "issues", to accidentally taking the pen from the sign-in book.

marnster
09-27-2006, 10:18 AM
I bet if members starting withdrawing their memberships and took their $$$ elsewhere, stating that the reason they were leaving was because of a drunk fitness director, management would intervene right away and get rid of her. As long as the members keep silent, whether they are "scared" of her or not (which I find laughable, frankly), what do they expect?? :rolleyes: If I was a paying member of a club and my instructor (who happened to be the fitness director) was drunk, I wouldn't even stay for the entire class. I would march my fanny to the Exec. Director post haste to have her removed on the spot. Puh-leeze! :)

ACinNJ
09-27-2006, 02:17 PM
I bet if members starting withdrawing their memberships and took their $$$ elsewhere, stating that the reason they were leaving was because of a drunk fitness director, management would intervene right away and get rid of her. As long as the members keep silent, whether they are "scared" of her or not (which I find laughable, frankly), what do they expect?? :rolleyes: If I was a paying member of a club and my instructor (who happened to be the fitness director) was drunk, I wouldn't even stay for the entire class. I would march my fanny to the Exec. Director post haste to have her removed on the spot. Puh-leeze! :)

Maybe the way to go is just have Happy Hour...serve up some 2fers and some buffalo wings and crank up the tunes?

raptor
09-27-2006, 11:24 PM
She is very abrasive and doesn't really think before she speaks? That is what I have gotten from her. Maybe the members feel the same?
We (the istructors) will get angry emails typed in all caps if she feels one of us "did something wrong" - anywhere from teaching "issues", to accidentally taking the pen from the sign-in book.

That involves you in the problem in my book. At this point, you should take the members' complaints to management. A printed, verifiable email with the member's name attached is more than hearsay.

Lynn

marnster
09-28-2006, 06:45 AM
Maybe the way to go is just have Happy Hour...serve up some 2fers and some buffalo wings and crank up the tunes?

Ohhh yeahh, then the term "Club" would take on a whole new meaning and the Fitness Director could become the head bartender and start a new career ;) Not a bad idea, AC...:p

marnster
09-28-2006, 06:52 AM

Kay,
Just curious...why don't you forward these "angry" emails to head management? Or if you feel she is so abrasive, why don't you start by talking to her about it (when she isn't drunk or hung over). You may be surprised by her reaction or it may be that she flips out, who knows unless you try? Then if, and or when the time comes that you need to take this to a higher lever, at least you can tell the executive management that you have spoken to her about it. I know you mentioned that you want to find a new place to teach, so I don't even know if you think this would be worth your time :confused: Just a thought/suggestion.

Raindrop
09-30-2006, 11:07 PM
I too find it difficult to believe ANY member would be scared of abrasive or abusive retaliation from an instructor (whether that instructor was also a director is a moot point, I would think). After all, what is she going to do? Yell at the member? Yeah...that's the fastest way to have both loud and nasty complaints followed by quick exits and cancelling of memberships.

Personally, I find this whole thing to be a little suspect in the reality of my world.

ChrisA
10-01-2006, 11:32 AM
Marnster that's a great suggestion. Kris, what do you think? I know this is really bothering you so perhaps that's the way to go.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions - it is making me feel much better. I think I am going to take my week at Club Industry to try and relax, gather my thoughts, and talk to her when I get back. Who knows, maybe by networking at the show, I will find a new gig! Wishfull thinking?! Cross your fingers!!!!

snelson
10-06-2006, 08:59 PM
Wonder if a certain member "typed" a letter to management often enough with information to the management wouldn't help. I wonder if the management realizes that their insurance may not be in effect if they are knowingly allowing an instructor to teach a fitness class while inebriated or at the very least not in touch with reality. Whatever form that may be. I agree that its not known whether this person is using alcohol or another substance. I wonder if public intoxication is a misdemeanor in your state?:cool:

Good luck.