PDA

View Full Version : Johnny G

cyclist
09-16-2006, 08:09 AM
Today it is a special day (16th of September 2006).
The man who created the Spinning® program has become 50 years old.
He has influenced many of you.
So why not give him on this day a beautiful birthday present!!!

Why not make a donation for his foundation.
A donation of 50 dollars.
If it is to much just make a smaller donation

The Johnny G Foundation offers financial support to deserving families of patients recovering from a serious heart condition from the time their loved one leaves the hospital. They achieve their mission by providing financial resources for basic expenses such as rent, mortgage, utilities, food and babysitting services. Their goal is to help families of heart patients so they can focus their energy on giving supportive, stress free love to their recovering family member.

So let we all go to www.johnnygfoundation.org (http://www.johnnygfoundation.org/) and make our donation.

Happy birthday Johnny!!!

Keep on rocking and riding

Cyclist

JoyofSpin
09-16-2006, 10:33 AM
Hey Happy Birthday Johnny G.

Will do that but you need to let us know just who you are!!! - Joy

vicki kunzli
09-18-2006, 02:10 PM
Happy Birthday Johnny G....
from one of your Canadian Instructors

giuppolo
10-24-2006, 04:52 PM
Happy Birthday Johnny G from an Italian Instructor who met You a few years ago in Rimini.

jugi333
02-15-2007, 12:09 PM
Happy Birthday to Johnny G. I was not aware of his foundation, I'll have to look into that. What a great cause.
I also have a question on the subject of Johnny G.- I am a new spinning instructor and I recently attended an AFAA workshop in Massachusetts. It seems that certification is not required in the spinning instructor industry but I was considering taking the Johnny G certification as a resume builder and for personal improvement. Any thoughts??

kszspin
02-15-2007, 02:01 PM
It seems that certification is not required in the spinning instructor industry but I was considering taking the Johnny G certification as a resume builder and for personal improvement. Any thoughts??

Not sure what you mean by "not required in the spinning instructor industry". :confused:

Just like ANY format of instruction/training/coaching in the fitness industry, the requirements are laid out by your employer. You can walk into a gym somewhere and say you want to teach kick boxing or Spinning or Yoga or do Personal Training....and it is up to the employer to ask to see a copy of your certification for the area you wish to work in.

I know there are probably "some" facilities who do not check OR do not care, but that is their liability they rolling the dice with. :rolleyes:

jugi333
02-15-2007, 06:45 PM
Didn't mean to offend. I was just saying that in Massachusetts where I live if you have a primary certificaiton (i.e. personal trainer) you have to attend a workshop on spinning (safety, class structure, etc.) to be a spin instructor. What i wanted to know was if I wanted certification which courses are best. The one I hear the most about is Johnny G.

JoyofSpin
02-15-2007, 07:02 PM
jugi - The Madd Dog (Spinning) certification is very comprehensive. It has been the best one I have taken so far. Others do like the Schwinn but I have not taken it. I have taken Keiser. The beauty of the Johnny G Spinning certification is the amount of information it provides to you from the manual, continuing ed classes. Most of your knowledge does come from just the experience of teaching and learning what works and what doesn't. We all continue to learn and improve as we go on. I hope this helps. - Joy

khowe
02-15-2007, 08:00 PM
Didn't mean to offend. I was just saying that in Massachusetts where I live if you have a primary certificaiton (i.e. personal trainer) you have to attend a workshop on spinning (safety, class structure, etc.) to be a spin instructor. What i wanted to know was if I wanted certification which courses are best. The one I hear the most about is Johnny G.
Jugi, Where in Mass do you live and teach? Which certification do you have for you personal training (ie. ACE, AFAA, etc) Just curious!
From another Massachusetts instructor!

kszspin
02-15-2007, 09:54 PM

No worries, I wasn't offended by anything. I just misunderstood what you were trying to say (I am having that problem alot this week).

I have the Spinning certification (also known as the Johnny G cert or JGSI) so I recommend that one when someone asks. But this forum has many other Indoor Cycling instructors on it with other certifications like Schwinn, Keiser, LeMond. It comes down to who employs you, what is it that they require, what indoor cycling program do they have. If it is a licensed Spinning facility, then you must be a JGSI to be on the schedule to teach. I don't know if other certs have those conditions on them.
But you can get a Johnny G cert and apply to gyms that accept that even though they might not be official Spinning gyms, meaning they employ other instructors with various certs, and they might use bikes that are not official Spinning bikes.
Hope that helps answer your question. I wasn't trying to challenge you or anything, just have not heard of a state regulating your certification.