PDA

View Full Version : Pls help! contraindication meeting

Spinnin' My Heart Out
08-05-2006, 03:59 PM
hey everyone,

i've been asked by our coordinator to put together a mini workshop on contraindication moves. Also, just general safety.

my johnny g book is so old(10 years now, and i can't believe it's been 10 years),,,,,,do the newer cert books offer any more info on contraindications?

if you took the contraindications workshop, would you be willing to share your info with me? Just pm me.

What do you feel should be covered in the mini workshop? and specifically, why the move is contraindicated.

this thread would also be a great way for all of us to share this knowledge and keep in our files. Once i collect all of your knowledge,,,,,,i'll be happy to post!

thanks all knowledgable ones!

pslynx
08-05-2006, 04:15 PM
The issue I have to coach most is riders using hand position 3 while seated.

Many instructors also do those popcorn jumps that are so hard on the knees and accomplish nothing. They also do pushups on the bike and we all know it's a lower body workout. One of our instructors also does one arm behind the back while standing and switches arms every 5 secs or so.

I guess I should inquire whether your workshop is for clubmembers or instructors and that would govern what you cover.

SpinQueen

Patrick
08-05-2006, 09:15 PM
Probably the best way to decide what to present is to pick the most common ones in your club. Here in Louisville our #1's are the lightning sprints. Every gym has their #1. What is your's?

As far as the lightning sprint is concerned, here's why I preach against it:

1. It is impossible to do on a non-fixed-gear bike outdoors. At a certain point you're maxing out your gear and there is not enough resistance in the crank to help maintain such speed, so your pedaling becomes choppy and erratic until you shift into a larger gear to provide with more tension on the drivetrain. For this reason I recommend against it.

2. Lightning sprints are possible only under light resistance, therefore the workload is very light. The amount of power required to break the inertia of pedals on a stationary bike at light resistance is very small, and the amount of energy required to keep that pedal in motion is even less. Being that our bikes use weighted flywheels, the inertia of the wheel will pull pedals until it is totally drained of kinetic energy, which when at low resistance is a very long time.

Long story short, you're doing no work. Once you begin the exercise, the energy required to keep up pace is moderate, seeing as your pedals will pull you through the range of motion- the only energy required is that which maintains pace.

Therefore I don't use them. I think the safety issue speaks for itself.

Patrick

Spinnin' My Heart Out
08-06-2006, 08:43 AM
thanks so much patrick & psylnx! you've got me started!

ok fellow pedal oners,,,,,,,,,,pls post!

gilberth
08-06-2006, 10:31 AM
I would compare Spinning over 110 RPM with light or no resistence to running on a treadmill. The treadmill might be going at at 5 min mile but the runner is fooling themselves if they think that this translates to the real world.
Howard

Cheeze
08-06-2006, 11:54 AM
Allow me to create a folk in this road and then stick a slice of Cheeze on it. If you are creating a workshop to benefit the instructors at your facility - why are you asking us for CI moves? IMO you should be asking your colleagues for CI moves. By doing this you create awareness and help your instructors see things they may not have been seeing or looking for. If I was doing a workshop I would want to first address what is going on at my facility before I dealt with the industry.

Once your team of instructors puts together a list of stuff that needs to be addressed I think all you will need to do the workshop is an up-dated copy of the JGSI manual. Even if MDA charges you (or your facility) $25.00 for it in the long run it will be money very well spent. For $$$ MDA may even agree to send you a copy of the CI CE course materials. Pgs 1.49 - 1.51 of my 2004/2006 manual covers 11 CI movements. Pg 1.52 covers Safety Tips. Appendix pages cover safety items.

If this was my workshop, once I had my list of CI movements and I could not find the "don't do it" information on my own or in the up-dated JGSI manual - I would then bring those movements to this forum for discussion.

Cheeze
-----------------
Looks like L2B types a little faster than I do

Robert
08-07-2006, 03:18 AM
For a more focused and useful workshop, Cheeze is right - there's not much point going on about popcorn jumps if none of the instructors practice them. Better to catalogue the techniques they do use and focus on the ones that are either CI or could be easily performed incorrectly (e.g., sprints).

PS - I'd avoid saying that press-ups on the bike are CI because cycling/Spinning is a lower-body workout. Better to say that, as press-ups go, there's no benefit and far too much risk of injury. Don't underestimate the amount of upper-body work needed to keep you balanced, esp. when standing - biceps, triceps, back, shoulders and chest are all active and can start to ache after a 3-4 hour climb

amybatt
08-07-2006, 07:56 AM
4. Riding with pointed toes.
This can cause inflammation of the tibial tuberosity, an overuse injury that stresses the kneww, ankle and supportive structures. It can also cause numbness in the feet. Pedaling with a flat foot--the ball of the foot should be directly over the center of the pedal--engages the calves, which improves pedal power and efficiency.

Hear hear! I took a class with a Reebok instructor a couple weeks ago, and she included in the warm up pedaling for 1 min with toes down, pedaling for 1 min with heels down/toes up. I didn't even attempt it, since it just felt contraindicated, after having flat-footed pedaling ingrained in me for the last 4 years. But how can someone seriously think this is a good warm-up, let alone overall technique??? Does Reebok encourage this move?

raptor
08-07-2006, 11:08 AM
Allow me to create a folk in this road and then stick a slice of Cheeze on it. If you are creating a workshop to benefit the instructors at your facility - why are you asking us for CI moves? IMO you should be asking your colleagues for CI moves. By doing this you create awareness and help your instructors see things they may not have been seeing or looking for.

A useful suggestion, but it doesn't address the problem of wide-spread ignorance such as it is. Though I hope there aren't entire gyms out there where every instructor does some CI move or other, it seems remotely possible that SMHO works at such a gym. (Though obviously she's sensitive to CI issues.)

Lynn

Spinnin' My Heart Out
08-18-2006, 04:26 AM
first i'd like to thank y'all for your responses. it's been helpful. and i truly appreciate the positive comments. my computers been down,,,thank you roadrunner, so i'm sorry i haven't responded sooner.

cheeze, as your suggestion to look at my manual, i did do that before i posted this thread. But since i only have JG & Reebok( and they are both 7-10 yrs old),,,,,i was looking for updated or other CI moves from other certifications. Maybe other certifications cover other ci moves?

Since I'm not eloquent with words, my post was a little short. I should have taken a little more time to say exactly what i was really looking for and i'll do better next time.

Once again, thanks to y'all who posted helpful comments!