PDA

View Full Version : Going Back to Israel - Now More Than Ever

ACinNJ
08-01-2006, 09:37 AM
Greetings to all of my friends, Spinning participants, and fellow instructors. I'm going back to ride in Israel for Alyn hospital again this Fall (Oct.29) in the Negev, so let me get that part out of the way. Am I crazy? Possibly, but I am more afraid of ignoring the obvious need this year to support the mission of Alyn in Jerusalem, which is the rehabilitation of children. I think it's crazier to walk away from a cause that I started with 2 years ago and many of you have been with me and followed the ride and called and emailed me afterward to see how I did.
Today's headlines include car accidents, terror attacks, natural disasters and other horrific events, which leave people hurt and wounded, their lives (and those of their families) torn apart. What if I told you that some people indeed do perform miracles? What if I told you that there is a hospital in Jerusalem devoted to the task of helping children and young adults gain miraculous recoveries from injuries caused by these devastating headlines, and that the hospital staff not only work with the patient, but they help the families and friends through the hard times as well? I'm talking about the incredible ALYN Hospital, Israel's only Pediatric and Adolescent Rehabilitation center.
This year we go from Jerusalem to Eilat, which should be over 300 miles or so in the 5 days. Between teaching 5-6 Spinning classes a week and doing my 3+ hour Sunday training rides, physically I will be ready. I've already received new support from the Old Bridge Cable access channel which will broadcast an interview with Cathy Lanyard (Executive Director of Alyn US) and me which will air across the state. This help was offered by one of my Spinning participants and it's a very generous gesture. I will be putting on fund raising indoor rides and whatever else I can do to bring attention to the cause. This post is the start.

As usual, much of my donations come from forum friends and class participants and you've always been so generous. As you can see in the news, the children need this now more than ever. None of your contributions go towards the expense of my participation. Everything is donated to the hospital. The links are right here: http://alynride.org/alyn/onlineDonations.php

You can also mail a check to my office (address below) and I will forward it on for you.
I hope your summer is going great. I hope to hear from all of you along the way and have successful Back To School and Holiday Seasons!

Sincerely,

Arnold Cantor (AC)
National Sales Manager
Misco Home and Garden
100 South Washington Ave
Dunellen, NJ 08812
arnold@miscohomeandgarden.com

MattF
08-01-2006, 09:58 AM
I too send my prayers, best wishes and am proud of your decision to follow your heart.

Please be careful, be safe and may God bless your efforts and your willingness to help others in need.

All my best,
Matt

JFK
08-01-2006, 12:51 PM
AC,

Good to hear from you. Yasher Koach! If I had the scratch, I'd be off to visit Israel right now. I'd take my family. I'm not yet convinced that the risks of being in Jerusalem and the south of the country are that much greater than visiting Manhattan for the weekend. :eek:

As always, you have my support for this cause. Wish I could give more, but some is better than none.

Hope you stick around and get in the mix here - we've got a good thing going. :)

kszspin
08-01-2006, 01:06 PM
AC,

Haven't heard from you on this forum before! What took you so long to find us?? :p

You have a great heart, thanks for what you do in this cause. You have my support, wish I could give even more :) .

megale3
08-01-2006, 01:30 PM
AC where have you been? I hope that you make your goal. you have my support
Meg

ACinNJ
08-01-2006, 05:29 PM
Thanks so far to those who wrote...(JFK - Todah Raba)...I hope your kind words translate into donations. Please bear in mind, last year I raised over $7000.00 all from small donations ranging from $10.00 and up. I'm in the middle pack of fundraisers, but I generate a large contact list.

All of your donations are US tax deductable. Alyn accepts patients from every religious denomination, Muslim, Christian, Hindu and Jew. Injury and illness is the great leveler of our world. Injuries from war or acts of terror are as heartbreaking as it gets. To see parents visiting their children wearing many different religious garbs is a very moving experience. I've seen the results of your donations in the past, they are real and not a large network of bureaucracy. New equipment, new therapists, and physical improvements happen with the money. Last year 325 of us raised almost $2 million. I can see the results of that later this year!

I hope you'll be as proud of the work Alyn does in this part of the world as I am. And as proud as I am to have associated with all of you.

lilrubie
08-05-2006, 11:34 PM
I will think about you being out there in such a wonderful place at such a hard time. I wish I was there and there was peace.

ACinNJ
08-08-2006, 02:38 PM
This is an update from the hospital I got today. I don't go until the end of October, but I'll try to share what it's like now.

"Itís early for us to be receiving referrals of any children who may be in need of rehabilitation at Alyn as a result of the hostilities in the North of the country. The hospital has, however, been receiving calls for help from families in the North whose children had been treated at Alyn in the past, especially respirated children. Assaf, a two-and-a-half-year-old, was just admitted to the hospital and will remain at Alyn until the hostilities cease. Born with multiple congenital deformities, his local follow-up treatment had to be stopped once rockets began raining on northern Israel and his condition deteriorated. The dedicated staff at Alyn is already working to rectify the situation."

BFSpin
08-08-2006, 03:41 PM
Hi, AC - good to see your name out here. It's been awhile for me, too -

Thanks for sharing your journey again; I'll head out to the link and see if I can help a little. Please keep us posted!

Beth

ACinNJ
09-11-2006, 01:50 PM
I'm pushing this back up here again to ask for any more support and including some thoughts on the hospital.

"ALYN is not the hospital the world sees on the news... the holistic rehabilitation that is done at Alyn is so often forgotten or unrecognized. In times of violence everyone is conscious of the sad need for ambulances and emergency rooms but then what? In the past, Alyn has taken care of victims of terror and they are children who spent 30 minutes in an ambulance being transported to a general hospital where they spent another 2 hours in an emergency room. In cases when a child is very badly hurt it might mean a few days or a week in a regular hospital room and then the long, intense road to rehabilitation begins. A child could then spend a month or even a year or more at Alyn.

You have the chance now to make an impassioned plea to your friends, families and business associates to not allow any Alyn child be forgotten...not the children who might arrive at Alyn's doorstep several months from now as a result of injuries sustained during the war nor the child who is at Alyn today for treatment of a congenital or neurological disorder."

This is pulled from one of our chairperson's in Israel. It hit home for me.

http://alynride.org/alyn/onlineDonations.php

JoyofSpin
09-11-2006, 03:11 PM
Done - best of luck with it! - joy