PDA

View Full Version : My First Duathlon!!

jrobertson98
06-17-2006, 03:17 PM
I just wanted to let you all know how I faired during my first duathlon race today! It was a total blast and I had a great time! It is part of the Coca-Cola Family Fitness Weekend Summer Event Series that takes place all over the country! This one was on Lido Beach in Sarasot, FL where I reside!

It was a 2.5 mile run, 15 mile bike, 2.5 mile run! I've been training and teaching spin twice a week has definitely helped with my cycling endurance and speed! I'm a firm believer of meshing the two! I looooove riding my road bike outside in the fresh air just as much as I love spinning!

Sooooooo....I placed 2nd in my age group (only 8 seconds back from the leader) and 2nd overall female!!! I was floored and couldn't believe it!!! I got a horrible calf cramp after taking off for the second run after the bike and couldn't kick it out any faster at the end!:( I just didn't want to have to stop and stretch so I had to slow down a bit! I was fine after I finished and drank lots of water and ate a banana! :D

My overall time was 1:20 with the two transition times! I'm waiting to see all my split times as they were still working on them when I left due to technical difficulties!! Darn computers!! haha

O.K...off my soapbox now...just wanted to share my excitement with you all!
Now on to continue training for my first triathlon next month! I'm nervous about the swim!! Ugh.....

JR

rick316
06-17-2006, 03:23 PM
Massive congratulations,you definately deserve everything you receive,well done:)

Patrick
06-17-2006, 04:16 PM
JR,

Awesome work! I always hated age-group winners, thinking they just wanted medals. Once I won my first age-group, I stopped hating them... because all I want are medals. Nice work. I'm very impressed. :D

My first tri is next month too! I'm scared massively about the swim too. I haven't registered for the race. I keep meaning to & saying I'm about to, but I can't help but notice that I'm stalling. Training hasn't really ever 'picked up' for me, so I'm really trying to work it now.

Today I rode 45 min on my trainer to a cycling training dvd (intervals. NO FUN!!! Plus riding a mag trainer inside is really loud, and my crank arms are squeaking (anyone know what to do for this? It's a very rubbery-sounding squeak, so I thought it was my rear tire, but spinning the tire doesn't produce the sound. Only when pedals are cranking. Any help is appreciated!!!). The trainer gets especially loud when you're in the work sections of the interval. I'm riding top gear on my 27 spd. bike at about 95 rpm with heavy resistance, and suddenly the sound goes out on the tv. Oh, no, it didn't. I just can't hear it anymore, and I'm not about to climb off and turn up the volume.

Alright, Jrobertson: here's the challenge to us. We're both commiting to giving this tri everything we have to give. All the focus, the effort, the training (this is more for my benefit- I need accountability :) ). Like they say, it's time to s**t or get off the pot.

Patrick

rick316
06-17-2006, 04:38 PM
Awesome Like they say, it's time to s**t or get off the pot.

Patrick

I'm gonna use that one during my next class,I love it!Thanks Patrick:)

jrobertson98
06-17-2006, 04:42 PM
Alright Patrick...let's make a deal! We BOTH need to totally commit and that means registering for the event! Then we're more likely not to back out due to the $$! So, what do you say?? Let's do it!
I've also helped commit myself by joining and swimming with the "Masters Swim Team" at the Y where I work! They're a great group of people and have been most helpful every step of the way! They also have open water training swims that I haven't jumped into yet, but I will within the next couple of weeks! Definitely need to get out there and practice it before race day!
So come on..."We Can Do It!"
thanks guys for your encouragement and support!:D
JR

MattF
06-17-2006, 06:37 PM
Sheesh...triathalons, you guys are nuts! Just kidding... your just willing to step outside your comfort zones, and I applaud that! I'm ever so slowly learning to do the same :)

I wish you both the best of luck, you'll do great! If at all possible, keep in mind that I looooovvveee pictures!

Now, get off the computer chair and get back to training!! *cracking whip*

:D,
Matt

Patrick
06-17-2006, 07:51 PM

Glad you like it. It's one of my favorites.

Patrick

JFK
06-17-2006, 07:59 PM

Ugh, Rick, Patrick...:( Such a crude expression. There are so many more inspiring (and not-crude) ways to say the same thing. I know two minds such as yours could find them. :)

JR - sorry to get distracted: good going with the race!! And good luck on a triathlon (I personally think just sticking to a bike is fine, thankyouverymuch :rolleyes: ) but if want it, go for it!

kszspin
06-17-2006, 08:28 PM
Jennifer, way to go girl! :)
Good luck in your next race, keep us all posted :D .

britspin
06-18-2006, 08:10 AM
Register people, register...amazing how that simple act focuses the mind, your goal becomes clear, there is a time limit established, the planning comes from there.
I am about to register for Hereford in July..very hot last year, got new cooler run shoes this year.

marnster
06-19-2006, 08:37 AM
Jennifer,

CONGRATULATIONS!!! So happy to read that you had a great time!

My triathlon was Saturday (the 17th) and I had such a blast. Good luck with yours coming up in a month. I was the most nervous about the swim segment too, but it turned out to be the best part!

I'm already looking forward to my next triathlon in September :) You'll be hooked too I have a feeling...let us know how it goes!

jrobertson98
06-19-2006, 10:44 AM
Thank you all so much for all of your encouragement and support! I appreciate it from the bottom of my heart!! I will definitely keep you all posted on all of my upcoming races!:D
Way to go Marnster!! That's great to hear and that's what everone tells me about the swim! Once you just get out there and do it...it's nothing!!
We'll see...I'm not in "that place" yet!! haha
Please keep us all posted on your progress as well!
Thanks again all! You guys are the best!
JR

greekgoddess
06-20-2006, 12:25 PM
WOW! Second in your age group and second female overall in your first race? That's impressive!!!

Congrats to you, JR!

GG

Spingirl
06-21-2006, 07:24 PM
Jen - I just completed my Olympic Tri in April - I am not a swimmer and the water conditions weere the worst that event had ever experinced - 4-6 foot sweels in the bay - I don't know how i did it but i DID !! I have done another since then - shaving 12 minutes offmy swim - i have 3more ahead me this summer , a 1/2 ironman in October and my firs t full marathon at the end of october - i am hooked !!!

you will be great in whatever you do

Lori