View Full Version : Thank you's

05-12-2006, 02:30 PM
Do you thank your participants easch time they show up? Before class or at the end?

I have to say I thought of this after reading "Go Spin" avatar.
I DO! After the bulk of the ride and before cool-down. I thank everyone for being there, especially since I teach at 5:30am and the pillow for most is a better choice. I even occassionally e-mail a "thanks" to those that I have in class regularly for attending and keeping me on my toes in the knowledge department. I teach a Group Power class at noon M, W and F that really takes alot to keep them coming in the middle of the day. I thank them for taking time out of the middle of their day to be in class. After the Avatar thread from GoSpin I know I will now remember to and pass that smile along everytime I have contact with my participnats!!

05-12-2006, 02:40 PM
I always thank my participants for coming out. I guess i have always done it. I read in Men are from Mars... that people often appreciate thank yous, because they know that they are appreciated. so i even thank hubby for cleaning up or doing something. he does the same. i guess it just means "someone noticed"

05-12-2006, 03:54 PM
I agree, Han. I thank the person who bags my groceries, folks who hold the door, etc. I don't do it gratuitously, but I do think there's not enough manners and general civility to go around these days.

Thanking class members for coming is a nice way to let them know you're glad they came and that you notice them. I thank the group and then the individuals as they walk out. I also try to find a little something to say to each one (as long as they haven't bolted after class - I'm not that quick. ;))

05-12-2006, 04:11 PM
Absolutely! :)
I don't think another two words are as powerful as thank you.
My big weakness sometimes, is remembering everyone's name. I get about 80% right but, those I can't remember really bother me, because I feel they might think that I don't care enough about them. Not the case of course, just sometimes one's name just doesn't "stick" in my brain.
But, name or no name they will always here a thank you, I appreciate you coming today, look forward to seeing you next week, etc....

05-12-2006, 04:42 PM
You bet I always end with getting them to clap their hands for the effort they did and I thank them for coming out, as they leave I try to thank them individually and say see you next class.

05-12-2006, 08:48 PM
Always! I wouldn't end my class any other way then saying thank you for coming today. Like Keifer I sometimes tell them to give themselves a round of applause for their ride. I also try to thank them as they each leave the room.

05-12-2006, 09:10 PM
generally i say thank-you to the entire class during the cool-down/stretch segment, and as everyone leaves i thank them individually and compliment them on their strong points during their ride. i don't get a chance to say these things to each person, but it's amazing how much people improve and i like to tell people that i notice it. kelly, i am pretty bad with names too. most of the time you get a big "hello" from me (a greeting without a name!!)

One Cent
05-12-2006, 10:04 PM
Thank you and have a great day! (I teach at 0900).
I also try to catch up with the individual participants. If I miss them one day I will try to catch them the next. I always say hello and goodbye to new participants to encourage them to return and receive feedback.

05-12-2006, 10:49 PM
We have 18 student bikes. Just after the warm-up music starts I'll walk the room and shake hands with every student and thank them for their energy - or that them for putting 45 minutes aside in their day to ride with me. Equally as important it gives me an excuse to approach their bike to check in with them and see how they are doing. If they look a little ragged I'll engage them in conversastion - just to make sure everything is good.

I don't care who you are - everyone enjoys being acknowledged and appreciated.

05-13-2006, 06:42 AM
At the end of each ride, our final stretch is an overhead stretch to the ceiling. While they have their hands up in the air, I ask them to give themselves a round of applause for a great effort. During the ride, I often walk around and make subtle comments like excellent effort!, test your limits!, perfect form!. And always, I thank each and every rider on the way out the door. A smile and a Thank You is all part of the what we are trying to do. Feel good about ourselves and others. I too am not the greatest with names, but I never forget a face. Especially one with a :) .
Thank You!!!

05-15-2006, 06:30 AM
I don't think another two words are as powerful as thank you.

How about "milk chocolate"? ;)

I'll walk the room and shake hands with every student and thank them for their energy

cheeze, you had posted this on a previous thread a while back and I started doing this with people that I hadn't met before, or who weren't "regulars" to my class. I agree that most people like to feel welcome (even in an exercise class) and it's nice to be noticed, especially if you are a first-timer! Of course, I still greet my regulars and thank everyone for coming.