PDA

View Full Version : Oh goody!

JFK
05-08-2006, 07:30 PM
I'm getting a root canal tomorrow. This is getting old..I had one last year at this time, too. I guess it could be worse, could have started up the day I left for WSSC.

(always an optimist) :)

Pink
05-08-2006, 07:39 PM
OMG, I live in absolute fear of ever needing a root canal. I'd rather go through labor & delivery. http://www.pedal-on.com/images/icons/icon11.gif

Good luck and may it be quick and painless.

Brandy
05-08-2006, 07:43 PM
I just had one a couple of weeks ago. May you be blessed with an amazingly gorgeous endodontist to distract you from the discomfort ;)

humansieve
05-08-2006, 07:44 PM
Piece of cake, thats what meds. are for.;) Godd Luck with it.

JFK
05-08-2006, 08:03 PM
Well, it doesn't (usually) hurt while they're doing it, but the sound of the drill (and the cold air on my other teeth from it) drives me nuts.

Sadly, I don't think they'll let me take Vicodin until afterwards...I would love to doze through the whole thing.

JoyofSpin
05-08-2006, 08:06 PM
Oh Jennifer. I hope it goes well and doesn't hurt too much. I HATE the dentist (love em as people - especially Viv). I hope you have time to be pampered afterwards. - Joy

JFK
05-08-2006, 08:12 PM
You know...there's a nail salon across the street from the dentist. Instead of taking my drooling self to Starbucks, maybe I'll get me a mani and pedi. :D

JoyofSpin
05-08-2006, 08:18 PM
Manicure and pedicure while the novacaine is wearing off otherwise you will be wearing the Starbucks and that would be one expensive waste. Best of luck again in the morning. I'll be thinking about you.

If it's any consolation I had my wisdom teeth out 2 weeks ago and taught class the same night (didn't ride) but I talked and yelled the whole way through it! - Joy

Cheeze
05-08-2006, 08:29 PM
Jenn must have the only oral surgeon who writes prescriptions for Starbucks. Hopefully you've already satisfied your deductible so you are reimbursed 100% for your Starbucks meds.

On second thought - wasn't because of anything you at in Sheboygan/Kohler?

I wish you the best. I hate it when people mess with my teeth. Fortunately my hygenist has pizza flavored polishing compound.

Cheeze

JFK
05-08-2006, 08:34 PM
Hey, my dentist takes good care of me. :)

Can't blame you or WI for my problems. This tooth was a time bomb. The filling in it was from many years ago. In fact, the tooth broke the day before I left for my first business trip ever. Age 19, I was running my company's trade show participation at a scientific conference in New Orleans.

So as I mentioned above (and as they say in Maine) "it could'a been wuss" (imagine the Pepperide Farms guy saying that and you get the idea).

gigi
05-08-2006, 08:45 PM
Well, it doesn't (usually) hurt while they're doing it, but the sound of the drill (and the cold air on my other teeth from it) drives me nuts.

Sadly, I don't think they'll let me take Vicodin until afterwards...I would love to doze through the whole thing.

oh no!!! you'll get through it. you are an athlete!!

can you wear your iPod during the procedure? put on your favorite profile and fade away....

JFK
05-08-2006, 08:52 PM
Thanks, Gigi. I know I'll get through it - this is my third. :( Maybe it'll be like kids, three and I'm done. That would work for me.

Yes, I'll definitely bring my pod.

Cheeze
05-08-2006, 09:02 PM
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee (smoke) zzzzzzzzzzzzeeeeeeeeee (more smoke) zzzzzzzzzEEEEEEEEEEEEE (spit)(wipe). Just a little bit more ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE (rinse)(spit)(drool)(wipe)

raptor
05-09-2006, 01:07 AM
I had my first root canal last Friday. It went great. So far. I'm a bit tough to numb, but once they got me dosed up I only felt the pressure and smelled the smells. I only needed one dose of the strong OTC painkillers. The tooth feels fine, and the neighboring teeth are much happier. I am very pleased.

Lynn

JFK
05-09-2006, 06:38 AM
It's always better afterwards. I'd just like to stop making this an annual event.:rolleyes: I love my parents, but I wish they'd managed to get me Dad's indestructible teeth rather than Mom's squishy ones...

And Cheeze, thanks for the little scenario there, much appreciated. ;)

Cheeze
05-09-2006, 07:53 AM
No problem Jenn. I feel it always helps to take a moment to go through or visualize the race or event in your mind. By doing this it feels like you've already experienced it - you know what to expect. Subsequently you feel more prepared - more relaxed.

We'll have to check Jenn's posts from 05/09 to see if she slurs her words or types funny.

And I hear what you're saying about genetics and teeth. Our dentist just built a new office building and they named a wing after my wife and her family. Thank God for $50.00 deductible dental insurance.

Cheeze

JFK
05-09-2006, 09:36 AM
er;;. o', nsfo dkpnor smf oy esdm
y pdp [sf//

<drool>

MattF
05-09-2006, 10:09 AM
ick... a root canal. Dreadful :( But at least it will be over soon and you'll have a nice set of teeth for WSSC :D And... if the Mt. Washington ride gets too painful, you can compare it to the root canal :D

megale3
05-09-2006, 10:17 AM
You guys crack me up! I think I like you :p
Megale

Cheeze
05-09-2006, 12:33 PM
This thread would serve as a reminder that when we ask/remind our students to relax - we should include relaxing the jaw - don't clench your teeth. Don't want to be damaging any teeth or breaking loose any fillings.

New item in the Spinning Store - the "Spinning Teeth Guard". When you smile everyone sees spin man across your grille.

Cheeze

Pink
05-09-2006, 04:06 PM
Quick, Cheeze, patent the idea before MDA gets wind of it.

kszspin
05-09-2006, 06:49 PM
Ooh, Jenn, so sorry you gotta do that tomorrow. :mad:
I have been putting off seeing the dentist (why, I have no idea:confused: ). Been having an on/off tooth "issue" for a couple months. Your post is now a reminder to call tomorrow for an appointment, the last thing I need is to have to have what you're having the day before I fly out to Miami! :eek:

What I hate about root canals are not the pain during it, but having that DANG DAM holding my mouth open forever! :eek:

I wonder if you can get "happy air" for a root canal??
Where is Vivienne on this thread anyway??

Cheeze
05-09-2006, 09:38 PM
Kelly congratulations on your 800th post!

Cheeze
-----------------
Are you throwing a party for number 1000?

spinchick
05-09-2006, 09:53 PM
You all are crazy funny!!! I hate the dentist. Get a second opinion I say. I once was told I needed a crown, well I got a second opinion and another dentist recommended some weird filling instead. Today, 10 years later, no root canal, no crown either thank goodness. If you can save the tooth any way possible do it before sacrificing to the crown and/or root canal. If you have a crown eventually you will have to have the root canal no if and or buts. Good luck

BrusselsSpin
05-10-2006, 09:24 AM
Hey JFK,

Knowing that you're a co-member of the NLP fan club, a colleague of mine who is an NLP junkie, advised me to think of something that sounds similar to a dentist drill but isn't a dentist drill, hold finger and thumb together and replace the drill with that other thing ............ Did it work? Did it #!!.

MattF
05-10-2006, 03:35 PM
New item in the Spinning Store - the "Spinning Teeth Guard". When you smile everyone sees spin man across your grille.

Cheeze

Heck, I'll buy it! :D

JFK
05-10-2006, 04:34 PM
Thank you all for your commiseration, kind thoughts and uh, interesting suggestions. The procedure was really a non-event in the sense that I was numbed to the gills and felt nothing.

I had a lousy night last night (should have taken the vicodin, I was in pain and had insomnia, but by the time I realized it, it was too close to wake-up time) but after a long, mind-numbing day in the lab transferring samples, I am...my same old self but without any tooth pain.

:)

pearl
05-10-2006, 04:41 PM
My first root canal (I've had two) was the worst experience ever. I was in tremendous pain before and after, several days each.

My last root canal was the day before Thanksgiving. I WELCOMED it and the numbing that came with it since I was so miserable. The next day, my mouth was slightly sore but didn't hinder me from partaking in the holiday festivities. Wasn't even my dentist at the time, but he is now.

Hope the healing goes well.

Patrick
05-10-2006, 08:17 PM
Heck, I'll buy it! :D

You would.

MattF
05-10-2006, 08:39 PM
You would.

Quiet yourself little boy....silencio por favor...:D

Patrick
05-10-2006, 08:55 PM
Quiet yourself little boy....silencio por favor...:D

I'm impressed that you could spit that out... why aren't you on AIM, young man? I've a great many things to learn you.

Patrick

PS I would have responded in Spanish, but then it hit me- you don't speak it.

Cheeze
05-11-2006, 08:58 AM
To get back on topic/title but giving this thread a different spin - check the five day extended weather forecast for Wisconsin. Winter storm watch up north; wind advisory for today and maybe into tomorrow and rain through the weekend. Oh Goody!!

Sounds like a good time to have a root canal done.

JFK
05-11-2006, 02:58 PM
Wow. I guess I'm glad I was there in February. At least I was expecting the weather I got. This time of year that's a cruel blow indeed.

Not sure you have to resort to a root canal Cheeze...but maybe some indoor projects or extended napping would be in order.

Cheeze
05-11-2006, 03:50 PM
Jenn I did check the calendar to see if a MDA presenter was coming to town. At least our Spinning classes will be full through the end of the week.

Cheeze

JFK
05-11-2006, 03:52 PM
Gotta look at the bright side!