PDA

View Full Version : OK All You Computer Gurus

cyclefreak
05-07-2004, 03:58 PM
Do you really think it's safe to use Kazaa and other file sharing sites? My husband adamantly refuses to let me put any of that on our computer, but I know a lot of you have mentioned sites like this for where you get songs. I'm just wondering if you've had trouble. I know the adware/spyware stuff runs rampant at Kazaa. I'd like to hear from some official computer dudes or dudettes on the matter...

zoepup
05-10-2004, 09:57 AM
Stay away from Kazaa. It is loaded with spyware, etc. There is a version of it out there called Kazaa Lite. It strips all the junk out of it.

Not to sound like a preacher, however, even though you share nothing or share stuff they could care less about, you are still wide open to a lawsuit. It works this way:
I could work for the RIAA and share some songs. You search for and download a song from me. Even though you immediately move it from your hard drive, I have a record that you downloaded a song from me at such and such an IP address. I then file suit to a bunch of John Doe's to have their ISP's hand over their real identity. After that, I come after you. It has been one method the RIAA had benn using for over a year already.

Be safe..

Z

cyclefreak
05-10-2004, 05:16 PM
I don't plan on trying the other sites. I figure itunes is good enough for me.

zoepup
05-10-2004, 08:04 PM
I wish I could get over the quality issues of the pay per download sites as well as the restrictions they place on us. For now I will trade and burn my own.

Z

cyclefreak
05-10-2004, 08:07 PM
I used my own CDs for a long time but once I got tired of them, I was spending way too much money buying new ones that I would buy on a whim, just hoping they would have good songs for class. Of course, that was before I found all these forums where people offer song ideas.

Now, I probably spend just as much on itunes at .99 a pop, but at least I can buy only the song I want and not an entire CD full of junk. :rolleyes:

I did however just buy a good CD called Freq. Beats. It has some great remixes on it... as soon as I build a profile with it, I'll post it here.

fit4life
05-10-2004, 09:38 PM
Kazaa is bad news, end of story!! More to "get" from it than you'll bargain for in viruses, "hidden downloads", risk of legal problems for illegal downloads, etc. We cut off all access to that site at work because the risks and damage are so high, even though our business does need to download music legitimately from time to time.

Better off going to the sites that charge a little, but have the right security and legal rights to give you what you're asking for. Good luck!!

lilrubie
05-10-2004, 11:38 PM
I think I may have gotten a virus for the first time, but I am not sure what to do. I get a message every now and then that says that the sasser_d worm has been detected on my computer and to click something to download a way to get rid of it. I don't know if I click this will I actually start the virus. It doesn't seem to be doing anything yet, and I tried researching the worm, and it didn't help me with what to do...ugh... I think I am done with Kazaa. Anyone have any ideas?

BarbJ
05-11-2004, 09:41 AM
Is it legal?

flywheel
05-11-2004, 10:38 AM
I think I may have gotten a virus for the first time, but I am not sure what to do. I get a message every now and then that says that the sasser_d worm has been detected on my computer and to click something to download a way to get rid of it. I don't know if I click this will I actually start the virus. It doesn't seem to be doing anything yet, and I tried researching the worm, and it didn't help me with what to do...ugh... I think I am done with Kazaa. Anyone have any ideas?
You probably have some kind of virus protection if you are getting that message. I suggest you run it immediately to get rid of it. Make sure your virus protection is up to date to find the most recent viruses/worms.

flywheel
05-11-2004, 10:41 AM
Is it legal?
It is illegal to download copyrighted restricted music without permission and it is also illegal to share. Unless you are transferring lots of files back and forth, the Recording Industry probably won't mess with you. But why take a chance?

McRide
05-11-2004, 07:47 PM
Lilrubie -- if you've got a virus, you may need to run SpyBot or Norton or some other application to destroy the virus/worm. The anti-virus and anti-spyware applications are worth every penny (my opinion).

fitquest
05-12-2004, 02:06 PM
Spybot is free (with an option to donate $$$)
I got it recently and I'm glad I did!