PDA

View Full Version : Softball Season

skates
05-04-2006, 10:57 AM
Iíve been involved with team sports my whole life, Baseball, Soccer and Hockey. Iíve been invited to play on two softball teams. On one hand I would love to play, on the other hand I donít want to get hurt. I donít want to de-rail my fitness regiment.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts.

JFK
05-04-2006, 11:16 AM
Chris, do you usually get hurt playing softball? If you love it and you don't tend to get hurt, go for it. If, OTOH, you tend to kill yourself, maybe you should just watch. :)

skates
05-04-2006, 11:54 AM
Chris, do you usually get hurt playing softball? WellÖ..Last summer I did pull a groin, then rested a month. The first game back I pulled the hamstring on the other leg. Another month wasted. The team is taking bets on what muscle I pull this year. So I guess the answer is yes.

I would never be described as limber.

RaffCycles
05-04-2006, 12:35 PM
Live life, go for it.

marnster
05-04-2006, 01:17 PM
I'm with Raff. Sometimes in life there are trade-offs. Go for it!

cycle momma
05-04-2006, 02:36 PM
I play on a women's softball league. There are teams that are out for blood, but our team is there to have fun. I'm not going to kill myself for softball...anyways we have a good time!

cycle momma

spinmomma
05-04-2006, 03:13 PM
How much do you love softball? love it go for it, only like it, I wouldn't risk it. Go ride your bike instead.

raptor
05-04-2006, 10:27 PM
The problem with softball (and baseball), is that players spend most of their time in a state of relative inactivity, then perform very explosive movements. That's a recipe for injury.

Were I to play (could you tell I'm not a big fan? :) ), I wouldn't go all-out. Keep it fun. After all, there ARE worse things than standing around on a field of green grass on a Summer day.

Lynn

JFK
05-05-2006, 06:35 AM
After all, there ARE worse things than standing around on a field of green grass on a Summer day.Lynn

Yeah, you could be playing golf! :D

RaffCycles
05-05-2006, 01:30 PM
I'm glad that I don't think about what my activity today will do to my workout tomorrow. If I was worried about getting hurt, I would no longer be playing hockey or running adventure races. That would take all the fun out of it.

I like to play like today is the championship. I don't save myself for another day because there may not be a tomorrow.

Does this mean I'm Pete Rose taking out Ray Fose at home plate in the all star game? No, it means I give 100%, have fun and worry about my recovery later. I don't need to draw blood from my opponents, but if I'm not giving it my all I've let myself down.

humansieve
05-09-2006, 07:13 PM
Raff,
JUst wondering what you decided here? I love softball but I always seem to get hurt doing it. The last injury was a injured rotator cuff. I know what you mean about not wanting to dog it out there, what fun would that be. I will say that most of my injuries have healed before hockey season with the exception being the rotator cuff which affects my hockey game, lifting weights and alot of day to day stuff. To me the trade off just wasnt worth it so I stopped playing competitive softball and actually miss the "gang" more than the game.
Sieve

dgkilleen
05-09-2006, 07:35 PM
I am with everyone else... Life life and go for it! I would love to join an adult sport league.. I played volleyball, soccer and softball forever, well until kiddos! I think you should totally do it!

RaffCycles
05-09-2006, 10:01 PM
[QUOTE=humansieve]Raff,
JUst wondering what you decided here? I love softball but I always seem to get hurt doing it. The last injury was a injured rotator cuff. I know what you mean about not wanting to dog it out there, what fun would that be. I will say that most of my injuries have healed before hockey season with the exception being the rotator cuff which affects my hockey game, lifting weights and alot of day to day stuff. To me the trade off just wasnt worth it so I stopped playing competitive softball and actually miss the "gang" more than the game.
Sieve[/QUOT

Sieve, think you were talking about someone else. I have no problem playing softball. I go all out all the time. That's me. Sometimes I'm a little too competetive for my own good.