PDA

View Full Version : Increasing Attendance

KARspin
04-20-2006, 03:14 PM
Not sure where to post this, but this forum seemed closest.

I recently started teaching at a new branch of my gym. Unlike my old branch, the spininng program at the new branch doesn't seem as popular. My classes are about 1/3 of the size of my classes at my original location. I asked some of the other instructors at the gym and they said the members just don't seem to be into spinning as much there.

What are some ideas on how I or the gym can promote the spinning program at this location?

rick316
04-20-2006, 03:22 PM
1 - If you have access to a notice board,you could post a regularly changing selection of the student handouts from spinning.com

2 - You could try have a series of theme rides,asking the riders what music they like and promoting it.

3 - Maybe a charity ride,this seems to help ressurect my program when it starts to drop off.

4 - Offer free rides to anyone taking their first class,keeping a list of their contact details so you can check in with them in the future should you have either ideas 2 or 3 above.

5 - Use the time you have with the riders you do have to educate them,throw so much information at them with such passion that they go away thinking "WOW,that was so different from any other class" and they will tell a friend who will be curious and atttend.When everyone has a friend attend and you become very wealthy indeed you will remember me and send me lots of cash thank you:D

Brandy
04-20-2006, 03:32 PM
I was recruited into my first Spinning class when I was on the treadmill. The instructor came up to me and her enthusiasm for Spinning totally hooked me. Could you try that?

JoyofSpin
04-20-2006, 03:50 PM
Loudspeaker at the gym announcing the class especially since it's new.

A special time slot to start after some of the more popular classes in the aerobics room so that people could try it out or make a beginner class with a sign about it - maybe for only 30 minutes to get people used to it.

Keep the door open with the greatest music ever played so the rest of the gym hears.

Get some of the good instructors at the gym (all styles) to come and ride - the members might get inspired or just come for a laugh.

Go around grabbing people to take the class. (Brandy you could have been at a class near me - I did that a few times to people and they got addicted as well - they never would have walked into that 'scary' room without it)

Have the gym hand out free water bottles (some promotional item for trying the class)

It takes time to pick up - I started out with 6 people in a 36 bike room and each week I counted the number of people 11 ,18, 15 and now the members need to sign up and fight to get to those bikes. If you have energy they will come! - Joy

Brandy
04-20-2006, 04:10 PM
Go around grabbing people to take the class. (Brandy you could have been at a class near me - I did that a few times to people and they got addicted as well - they never would have walked into that 'scary' room without it)

Joy...that was exactly it for me...the room was skeeeeeeeeeeery! http://www.tinklebelle.com/Smilies/images/aaa.gif The walls were painted black and it was always so dark in there...I was really intimidated! I don't know if I ever would have taken a class if she hadn't walked up to me that day.

Pink
04-20-2006, 04:18 PM
Well, this would take the cooperation of the different departments within your club. But we've successfully fused classes, i.e. Spinning & Yoga, Spinning & circuit training, etc. Also we've had a gym-wide promotion. We printed cards not unlike Bingo cards. Each block had a different exercise session. When a member completed a class, the instructor signed the card. Members seemed to get into the whole thing.

We also posted questions on the bulletin board pertaining to the 'oddness' of spinning. We added that they should poke their heads in the studio before a class and ask for answers, like:

"Why do they were those funny clothes/shoes?"
"Why is it so dark in there?"
"Isn't it too hard?"
"Won't my legs get too big?"

JoyofSpin
04-20-2006, 04:22 PM
OK - not a real idea but fun never the less - just get a few people to come in, douse them with water so they're dripping and have them come out exclaiming what a great workout and that they burned xxx calories during it. - OK remember it's not a true suggestion - kids have been home all week - heading out to teach yet another class today and my wisdom teeth hurt - they are getting pulled on Monday - but the humor is still there! - Joy

cferg
04-02-2012, 01:40 PM
I have found that getting to know the members will allow them to get to know you. If they get to know you and like you they will bring in their friends and
this word of mouth will spread and grow your classes. This is how started growing my classes. On occassion someone will miss a week or more and I will
say WOW haven't seen you in a while and they will tell me a story and they really like being missed. Building relationships!!!!