PDA

View Full Version : Lemond Pilot

Chikita Banana North
04-04-2006, 07:47 AM
Has anyony had the opportunity to ride with the "Pilot"?
I've been considering putting them an all 14 bikes at my studio.
I may buy one and give it a try myself..
YOUR THOUGHTS...useful, cost effective,

Gretchin
04-18-2006, 04:19 PM
I have a pilot and I love it! It gives RPM so you have a good idea of where you are and if you have a heart rate monitor on, it displays your heart rate also.

Willie
09-06-2006, 10:36 AM
We replaced all of our old Swinn bikes with Revmasters. They are great. The Swinns were getting old and very tired. The Revmasters have the Pilot. The RPM and HR are the most usfull features. I took a class at a different gym (to get some new ideas) and the leader had everbody ride a seated mile as fast as they could. The goal was to get there in 3 minutes. That equates to a cadence of 120RPM. That class was a very competitive group composed of mostly folks that road outside so it work well there. That drill did allow the use of not only the RPM but the timer and the distance log as well. The biggest drawback to the pilot is they are hard to see in dim light or, if like me, you need reading glasses:mad: .

Have fun
Wilie

Todd S
09-06-2006, 12:00 PM
I took a class at a different gym (to get some new ideas) and the leader had everbody ride a seated mile as fast as they could. The goal was to get there in 3 minutes. That equates to a cadence of 120RPM.

So everybody backed off on their resistance knob and spun like little banshees? In the real world, dropping down into your granny gear and spinning real fast won't get you anywhere. I guess you just visualize that you're going fast...

Power meters can't become a reality soon enough I guess...

Willie
09-08-2006, 01:42 AM
So everybody backed off on their resistance knob and spun like little banshees? In the real world, dropping down into your granny gear and spinning real fast won't get you anywhere. I guess you just visualize that you're going fast...

Power meters can't become a reality soon enough I guess...

In reality you can't get far on a bike that doesn't have any wheels but if you spin fast enough you think you have gone a long way.

Willie

Sabrinaandbilly@yahoo.com
10-10-2006, 05:58 AM
I use a heart rate monitor...but am thinking of purchasing the pilot as well for my home revmaster. Should I ?

Todd S
10-10-2006, 10:08 AM
I use a heart rate monitor...but am thinking of purchasing the pilot as well for my home revmaster. Should I ?

I'd save my money for a power meter.

carpediem
10-11-2006, 09:55 AM
BUy one...they're amazing!

stephstlspin
10-11-2006, 03:53 PM
My gym has a Pilot on every bike and we use them every class. My students like seeing actual "numbers", it's a real motivator for them.

I agree, they are really hard to see in the darkened room. Having to press the backlight button contantly is a pain and drains the battery quicker. We use a little clip-on booklight to shine down on the Pilot for students that have a hard time seeing it.

WE LOVE our Pilots!!

cyclefit
10-18-2006, 12:42 AM
Anyone who has been using Pilots for awhile...are you having any trouble with the computer receiving cadence/distance info from the flywheel? I have posted this before but thought I'd try again. We have had ours for 18 months and a good number have this problem after working for the first nine months or so. Batteries have been changed on upper and lower units, and magnets have been replaced.

Any ideas?

carpediem
10-18-2006, 12:35 PM
Hi Cycle fit...

This morning my cadence was reading all over the map...40-228-350-0

I changed the batteries about 2 1/2 months ago...I'm going to eamil Lamonde today. If I hear I'll post!

Willie
10-19-2006, 01:16 AM
We have about 25 LeMond RevMasters at the Y that I lead rides at. When the cadence numbers go nuts we replace the batteries and all is well again. Try that first - I'll bet it works.

Willie

vvivvid
10-30-2006, 11:08 AM
I love the pilots... I create profiles around cadence (and percieved tension on flywheel)... distance (we can truely race!!!)... and HR if most members are wearing HR monitors! The participants love it as they can see where they are in their workout! And it provides a great deal of versatility for profiles!

vvivvid

pagesfive@hotmail.com
11-10-2006, 11:36 AM
We love the pilots at our club. It is a great teaching tool and motivator for the students. However suddenly they are all giving us problems that no amount of maintenance seems to fix. Over half of the bikes in the studio will no longer show cadance. It has become a negative customer issue at the club with members haveing to constantly switch bikes until they find a pilot that works.:( New batteries, new magnets nothing seems to work . Any suggestions?

cyclefit
11-12-2006, 01:22 AM
Yup, sure do work in Folsom. I believe the problem is with the magnets. We need to check to make sure they are all placed correctly. I recently checked them all and there are five pilots that have power but will not transmit cadence.

cafehead
11-19-2006, 07:02 PM
Does the pilot have a backlight. And does anyone know if the "Spinning Computer" does?

Funhog
01-02-2007, 12:57 PM
The new Spinning computer does have a backlight, and it's been designed to require no input from the member, meaning far fewer things to go wrong. You just push the botton and it starts reading cadence. It's very easy and streamlined.

It does have distance, for what it's worth - because it can't relate to a real distance outside. But I do like to use the distance as a tool for class design. However, to say, "everyone ride 5 miles and the first one there wins" is not only misleading, it's detrimental. Because the "first" one there is the one who turns the flywheel the fastest (on indoor stationary bikes, the pedal cadence is the same as the flywheel rpm, which is not the case on a real bike). As Todd says, if you spin fast on a bike outdoors with no resistance, it implies you've dropped to a low gear (granny gear), and a child on a tiny bike with training wheels and a pink banana seat will go faster than you. So just be careful to not use it to give people carte blanche to spin their legs like a roadrunner. Fast legs doesn't imply true speed unless you put a gear behind it. And for many IDC students, adding high resistance to high cadence may bring their intensity up too high if you're not careful. That's a sprint. Use them sparingly.

Here's an example of an effective way to use the distance feature while keeping cadence realistic (which is the true goal of the cadence meters):

We're going to ride a 10-mile segment of flat road in the saddle. The first five miles we'll have a headwind, so the extra resistance will keep your cadence between 80 and 85 rpm. Once you reach 5 miles (providing you've been true to the cadence) then the wind switches and we'll have a tailwind, allowing you to pedal a little faster, from 90 - 95 rpm.

Cadence meters are an excellent tool. Some day power meters will be a reality, but until then, we'll work with what we have and with what people can afford!

Jennifer Sage, MI

dlevin
01-03-2007, 12:11 AM
Jennifer,

Can you please clarify :

On Indoor Stationary bikes the pedal cadence is the same as the flywheel
rpm which is not the case on a real bike ?

I THINK I understood what you were trying to convey...but please
help because I may be wrong.

Thank you!! HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!

d

Funhog
01-04-2007, 01:32 PM
Jennifer,

Can you please clarify :

On Indoor Stationary bikes the pedal cadence is the same as the flywheel
rpm which is not the case on a real bike ?

I THINK I understood what you were trying to convey...but please
help because I may be wrong.

Thank you!! HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!

d

I didn't make that very clear, did I? Indoors, the flywheel will turn at the same revolutions per minute as the pedals. So the magnet of the cadence computer for registering the rpm of the pedals is actually on the flywheel.

Now, on a bike outdoors, you and I can both be pedaling at 80rpm, but if I am in a small gear and you are in a big gear, our speeds and distance covered will be totally different. You will go much farther than me in the same amount of time which means you will also go faster than me. The number of times that the wheel goes around will be irrelevant to the pedaling cadence and has to do with gear ratios.

The magnet of your bike computer that is on the spokes of the wheel will register your speed and distance, but not your cadence; that magnet and transmitter has to be on the crank and the chain stay of the bike.

This is why we say that distance indoors doesn't necessarily transfer to distance covered outdoors. The distance covered indoors is the # of revolutions that the flywheel made times the circumference of the flywheel, and which exactly correlates to the # of times the pedals go around.

Outdoors, the # of times the wheel goes around times the circumference of the wheel is the total distance, but it isn't linked to the # of times the pedals go around.

Does that clarify it?

Jennifer

cyclefit
01-10-2007, 01:28 AM
We finally discovered the problem with our "no cadence" Pilots. The sending units near the crank are rusted and corroded from too much sweat! Parts are on order (from Taiwan) and we are looking into ways to protect this from happening again. What can I say, Californians like to sweat!

Bianchi87
01-15-2007, 03:46 PM
Anyone who has been using Pilots for awhile...are you having any trouble with the computer receiving cadence/distance info from the flywheel? I have posted this before but thought I'd try again. We have had ours for 18 months and a good number have this problem after working for the first nine months or so. Batteries have been changed on upper and lower units, and magnets have been replaced.

Any ideas?
Since you have replaced the batteries, have you reset or changed the number sequences on the units? Just a thought

lmostrov
03-04-2007, 02:04 PM
I have 24 LeMond bikes with the Pilots and they are Great BUT the batteries in the Pilot are always dying out and there are separate batteries by the pedals that are difficult to get to and replace (for cadence). Yes-you can't see it in the dark and now we have floor lamps in the room which ruins the 'dark room effect' Love the idea that if I am at a cadence I challenge the members to match mine! Good Luck!
New member-lnog time spinner
LoriO:cool:

capegirl
03-16-2007, 08:20 PM
We have Pilot monitors on all our bikes as well. Some instructors love them and use them alot in class, they work very well for those who are goal oriented and love to see how fast, far and hard they are working, they work so well with the heart rate monitors too. We have had trouble with the maintenance though. I constantly have notes from instructors about the monitors not picking up the correct cadence, we change the batteries and there is still a problem. It is reassuring to hear that others have the same issues.

:)