PDA

View Full Version : form and safety "universals"

bluenoser
03-27-2006, 12:41 PM
Good morning all,
We are a facility that employs MDA Spin certified instructors (though not all are current), though our new director's cert is 10 yrs old and she'd not certified in any other indoor cycling either.

The director's approach to Spinning is outdated and my fear is that she will condone Spinning at high cadences, with zero to no resistance, running with finger tips on handlebars, no reference to intensity or heart rate training.

I want to be able to convince her that these "safety" concerns are universal to all indoor cycling philosophy and not just MDA Spinning. Am I right? Aren't there universals here? My knowledge of the other programs is non-existent and I hoped that some folks here could fill in what sorts of differences exist between MDA Spinning, and other programs, re: contraindications, in particular.

Thanks.

Cheeze
03-29-2006, 02:57 PM
Janet I suggest you buy your director a present - a current edition JGSI Manual. And if you think he/she won't take it the wrong way - highlite all the stuff in the current manual that has changed in ten years. The current manuals include a lot of CI stuff in them. (It will also be a nice review for the person doing the highliting).

I purchase a new manual every two years - they do change! I don't recognize my 1996 ed any more.

Cheeze

Robert
03-30-2006, 06:14 AM
Everything changes, especially in the fitness/health arena

Anyone remember being taught to warm up by bouncing in a stretch? :eek:

Now we're even debating whether it's right to stretch from "cold"...