PDA

View Full Version : The same class everyday

Christine*
03-16-2006, 08:15 AM
The club I currently work at has a cycle class every morning, but each instructor does an interval ride very morning. They have been doing it this way for years.

So, I go and get certified and find out that there is actually Recover, Strength, Endurance, Interval and race day. Apparently the co-ordinator has tried to implement certain days to certain rides but the participants don't like it and I assume the attendance dropped until interval rides were done everyday again. These members are under the impression that it's all or nothing, anything less is not a "hard" class.

What is your input on this. I think as instructors we need to educate our members on the value and benefits of different types. Why does the club let the members rule them. Maybe if the members stuck with what the co-ordinator says in the long run they will find out the benefits.

But...being new to the club - who am I to come in and change the way they do things - even if it will benefit the members???? I can say that if I told my class we were doing an endurance ride I'd be called boring or that the class wasn't hard enough etc. etc.

Opinions please.

Christine:)

britspin
03-16-2006, 08:53 AM
Stealth is the key, if I tell you to do something because it is good for you, but is entirely an alien concept, chances are you will not do it, compounded by you being the 'new kid on the block'. However if you slowly introduce the 'new' elements, focus on technique, slow down the class, simplify the moves, then you get your message in there, sure you will lose some folks, but you just may gain those that glimpse into the studio hear the noise, see the sweat & walk away..not for me...they could be your market..dare to be different.

RaffCycles
03-16-2006, 10:30 AM
Several of the instructors and I build the other energy zones into our rides. It's stealthy, but the general public doesn't know there are five energy zones and our regulars love the change.

So you can teach an interval class (listed on the schedule) but put your own spin on the type of class you teach.

Christine*
03-16-2006, 11:11 AM
Thank you for your responses.

Raffcycles: At the expensive of sounding inadequate could you please elaborate so i can grasp your concept.

Do you mean put some endurance into a class but do it for 5 mins then the next time 10 mins until you end up doing a whole class of endurance??

Thanks,
Christine

Brandy
03-16-2006, 12:02 PM
I'm not an instructor, but I've see the attitude that you are speaking of.I was talking to my favorite instructor about this last night, so many of the people in the classes at my gym are there strictly for the cardio workout and don't have any interest in improving form, endurance or gaining strength. There is one instructor who meets their needs with interval rides every class (and she is very popular) that she teaches, but since I have talked so much with my instructor about the importance of the different rides, I really prefer the variety of rides and all of the education that she offers.

I tend to agree with you that education is the key. I have learned so much from my instructor, simply by staying after class for a few minutes and listening to questions that others have and asking my own. She does a great job of explaining exactly why we're doing what we're doing during the class, but I gain so much by chatting her up after class. Maybe you could spark some after class conversations that might sway some members into being more receptive to the benefits of other rides.

Brandy
03-16-2006, 12:05 PM
I just thought of something else. One of the instructors recently put up a flier outlining the different energy zones and what purpose they serve. I've seen several people reading it before and after class.

Legspeed
03-16-2006, 12:12 PM
Hmmm, maybe it's just me, but I see parallels between this thread and this one (http://www.pedal-on.com/showthread.php?t=1581).

The answer to your question Why does the club let the members rule them? is easy: Because the members pay for that privelege.

Cheeze
03-16-2006, 01:39 PM
There are probably a number of things working here. Club owners like numbers so they are willing to give members what they want regardless of what they might need. Secondly when members realize their voice will be heard by management over club employees and instructors - it's tough to turn that attitude around. Third I sense a little "instructor cop out". Big hills and high intensity stuff breeds popularity and most instructors want to be popular and have all the bikes full. In a lot of places EEZ is not popular right now. Finally the age old question. As coaches and trainers do we give the people what they want - or what they need?

When I changed the format of my classes to include more aerobic classes and periodization at first my numbers really suffered. Now my classes are almost always full. Balance and periodization works! Not everyone wants their butt kicked all the time. But you need to introduce change gradually.

But on the otherside of the coin - why can't that class stay IEZ. Advertise that class on the schedule as IEZ but offer your members EEZ and SEZ at other times during the day. Then as your members begin to understand periodization they can attend the classes they need when they need them.

And finally - remember in Spinning "it's your ride". In addition to teaching your members about endurance, base training and periodization also teach them how to avoid intimidation so they can still attend that morning IEZ class but ride the class the way (and at the level of intensity) they want to.

Cheeze out

Christine*
03-16-2006, 01:41 PM
Hi Legspeed,

Yes, same poster but two different topics and two different clubs that I'm referring to. What is the parallel?

It just seems a shame to me that if the members really knew that there was more to the cycle program than just intervals, they would reap the benefits.

I know the members pay for that right - but aren't the clubs the ones that have let this happen in the first place? What I'm saying is - when the program was first introduced to the club could they not have put out a schedule saying: Monday - interval, Tuesday - strength, Wed - endurance etc. Then from the start members could be educated on the difference.

I'm sorry if I offened you. Certainly not my intent.:) My intention is to learn from you and start to incorporate ideas into my class without being overbearing, righteous or a know-it-all.

Christine

RaffCycles
03-16-2006, 04:21 PM
Raffcycles: At the expensive of sounding inadequate could you please elaborate so i can grasp your concept.

Cristine, no problem. Our schedule is loaded with interval classes, some of the instructors and I decided to take it upon ourselves to vary the format of the class. For example, we may use endurance energy zones for a few classes, incorporate a strength ride or race day depending on what some of our participants have coming up.

I teach primarily interval classes at one studio. I found out that one of my students was heading to Florida for Bike Across Florida. Since the weather was quite cold here in Cleveland, I worked my profiles to help her get in the best possible shape for the week long event. I incorporated interval, endurance and strength rides to periodize the classes.

OK, I know some of you would think this is special treatment, but guess what, the rest of the class was there to encourage her and work with her. I asked them ahead of time how they felt about me taking this approach and all of them felt that they too were preparing for the same ride. Best thing of all I got them on a mini periodization schedule without their knowledge one existed.

Hope this helps.

EuroD
03-16-2006, 05:17 PM
I'm with the thoughts of Raffcycles here. If I told my classes that we were doing an edurance ride they'd think I'd freaked - I actually mentioned that we might do this 'next week' and I got "the eye"! So, I turned it around, and in corporated endurance energy zones - they don't need to know what they are called, all the they need to know is what they need to do, how long they'll be there and of course, how long you want them to take to get themselves into that zone. They will be so focused on that information that the word endurance will fade.... I started out by doing say 3-5 minutes and now can extend out to about 9. That's about as much as my guys can take before they're looking for a change.

Sometimes it's playing a mindgame with them and they not realize....

Hang in there, they'll soon get where you're coming from, and find out that they are improving.

kszspin
03-16-2006, 05:41 PM
Introducing EEZ is something like hiding the peas in the mashed potatoes!:p
C'mon moms, I know you can relate to this;) .

snowbunny
03-16-2006, 07:12 PM
Peas and mashed potatoes, huh.... going with that note... spoon feed the class...Ha, ha....

I don't know if I would post what type of class is for each day...we list instructor names only. This way you can surprise them....

It takes time....go along with it, and gradually work a little bit of this or that into your profile. Then you can lengthen it more and more until...wow, you actually have the class doing a profile other than the dreaded "interval" your are speaking of.....yipppee!!! Victory!!! Remember: Change is hard. If you slap them in the face with it...and they aren't use to "doing things that way"...you will definitely face resistance. Work your magic a little at a time.

I am 100% on board with educating the members. As many of us do....give handouts. Some will read them, some may not. Have a bulletin board and post information...again, some may read it, and some may not. Don't give up....this is an "opportunity"!!!!, accept the challenge !!!!

You know....the city of Hanover...where I live....is very resistant to change. One day I moved the bikes around...and it was like I killed someone...back they went to "the way it was"....oh well, PICK YOUR BATTLES.... >>>like with a man, you have to give suttle thoughts and ideas...make them think it was their idea....(Ha, ha....when it was yours to begin with...) In the end, they (men, and your class) will come around!!! (Sorry "men", but you know this is soooooo true !!! and if anyone argues about this...they are admitting to it being done to them...ha,ha.)

Good luck with it.