PDA

View Full Version : Resistance it does the body good

megale3
03-14-2006, 12:56 AM
I subbed a class at another club .I did a progressive resistance building Z2 to Z3 ride over the entire class that had a measure of difficulty but would not take you breathless. I finished and was pleased that everyone had a good ride and was thanked for being there except for one. A woman who takes the class on a regular basis came up to me and said with her hands twirling about themselves in a frantic pace that she missed the sprints that the other instructors did all the time. I said I was sorry but this was not the type of class we did tonight but was one of resistance building for power and strength. She then mentioned that she really loves sprints and that she got a "LEG CRAMP!!" from adding resistance :eek: OK lets get to the point here- with further questioning I asked about these sprints and she told me just how they were done-with no resistance and too fast which explained the hand twirling she demonstrated while she talked. Imagine I almost lost my composure and started to laugh but didn’t. I mean someone just told me they rode with little to no resistance on the wheel and that when they were coached to "add enough to make a difference" they got neuromuscular feedback and probably needed a salt tablet with a hit of potassium. I told her that riding with out resistance and with fast RPM's was like being in first gear on a mountain bike and that you literally go no where fast. I mean I gave her a bunch of reasons why resistance is good for muscle tone , caloric burn and CV. With that she ended the conversation with “I guess every instructor is different” Yes indeed and
Amen to that! :cool:
Megale
PS I was almost in tears thinking about this one on the way home. I know more compassion more tolerance more resistance with reason

Robert
03-14-2006, 04:50 AM
I sympathise wholeheartedly!

Unfortunately, I've covered classes in many clubs (particularly in one chain, where they have in-house training) where there will be a few individuals in the class that refuse to add ANY resistance, no matter how many times I drop hints. Even on long standing climbs, they'll be trying to do it double-time as a standing flat at 120-130 rpm - needless to say,their technique was loose, if not an injury-risk. I've even had to say (and I'm not one to interfere with what indidivuals want to do, much less criticise other instructors) that if they have no resistance, they're not doing any work and they're wasting their time as they'll never improve.

For each of those that think indoor cycling is about cadences of 120+rpm, there are a dozen who will never try it, thinking the same thing. I've been lucky enough to have 4 regular classes now and I've stuck to my guns by building them up slowly with nice steady climbs and recoveries. Those that I've not seen again weren't following the class anyway and I guess they prefer bike-aerobics instead. Now we're onto intervals and they tell me that their fitness levels have improved to such a stage that they're for the first time considering entering marathons/triathlons.

I guess we can only give the benefit of our experience - if they don't want to listen, it's their choice.

PS - I've tested my HR in two classes with the same instructor and the same music. In the first, I followed my own instincts - instead of 120+rpm standing sprints, I added resistance and went for a climb instead, etc. For the second class, I followed exactly what he was teaching. My average HR for the first class was much higher than for the second - to be expected, as the effort is more constant than a class with 30-second sprints. BUT - my peak HR was also higher with the first class. So, not only does sprinting without resistance not lose the calories, it also doesn't do much for the cardio... nuff said!

I subbed a class at another club .I did a progressive resistance building Z2 to Z3 ride over the entire class that had a measure of difficulty but would not take you breathless. I finished and was pleased that everyone had a good ride and was thanked for being there except for one. A woman who takes the class on a regular basis came up to me and said with her hands twirling about themselves in a frantic pace that she missed the sprints that the other instructors did all the time. I said I was sorry but this was not the type of class we did tonight but was one of resistance building for power and strength. She then mentioned that she really loves sprints and that she got a "LEG CRAMP!!" from adding resistance :eek: OK lets get to the point here- with further questioning I asked about these sprints and she told me just how they were done-with no resistance and too fast which explained the hand twirling she demonstrated while she talked. Imagine I almost lost my composure and started to laugh but didn’t. I mean someone just told me they rode with little to no resistance on the wheel and that when they were coached to "add enough to make a difference" they got neuromuscular feedback and probably needed a salt tablet with a hit of potassium. I told her that riding with out resistance and with fast RPM's was like being in first gear on a mountain bike and that you literally go no where fast. I mean I gave her a bunch of reasons why resistance is good for muscle tone , caloric burn and CV. With that she ended the conversation with “I guess every instructor is different” Yes indeed and
Amen to that! :cool:
Megale
PS I was almost in tears thinking about this one on the way home. I know more compassion more tolerance more resistance with reason

megale3
03-14-2006, 11:45 AM
Thanks Robert. I found it weird that the woman was sort of like exspecting each class to be the same and assumed that all I did was stage hill climbs. :p I think that one reason that attendance drops off in some classes is because there is no mixing it up and the same ol' same ol' gets repetitive and mundane. If we were to do "sprints" all the time And that I could exspect to actually do a sprint more than 1 time in a class I might think that I may need a rest ultamitely because I am too tired from lack of sufficient recovery or I have not been in class for a long time because I have been resting and I have not been able to gain because I have been resting too much-
Megale

snowbunny
03-15-2006, 07:28 AM
Just a thought...at the beginning of a class (my class and even when I sub)...I tell them the goal of today's class....the basics without getting into too much detail. Maybe this would have set up some kind of expectation in this woman's mind of what she would be doing. (Sometimes when I sub, I try to get a "heads up" on the class...what kind of music they like, what are their favorite profiles, etc. >>> and then again, you can do your own thing...LOL.)

Being a sub can be difficult....you know, members just get "USE TO" the way the OTHER instructor does things.
Good for you on keeping your composure when confronted by her. And you know...everyone teaches differently....and sometimes when we try to EXPLAIN...it is like talking to a brick wall.

Sometimes you wonder, who is certified, do they take continuous ed. class, etc. and do they educate their class with information too. But in this situation...you did the sub thing...let it go...on move on. I know when cycling is a passion...you want to educate others, etc. and help them understand more about it....but you can't help those who don't want it...and are arguementative.
I know it bothers you, but at this point...I would say...chuck it up to a sub class and let it go.

You are a GREAT instructor :) , and have that passion and care about your class....you offer variety in profiles which is a positive thing.....don't beat yourself up about it....

megale3
03-15-2006, 11:03 AM
You are a GREAT instructor :) , and have that passion and care about your class....you offer variety in profiles which is a positive thing.....don't beat yourself up about it....

OK :)
Megale

alexkaboom
03-15-2006, 11:15 AM
I agree, it is tough to sub for someone who has been doing contrindicated moves regularly... some participants have come right out and told me that they prefer the push-ups because it keep them occupied! :eek:

I have learned that I cannot please everyone no matter how hard I try so when I come into a studio to sub, I will stop at the door, look in and joke out loud: "Oh no! it's a SUB!" with a horrified look in my face.... most people usually laugh and that helps break the ice.... I proceed to win their hearts and minds by explaining the purpose of the class... that helps.

Don't sweat it Megale, it is human nature to always question new things and this woman may have honestly thought that "out-of-control" sprints were good... good for you for remaining professional.

Alex

megale3
03-15-2006, 01:04 PM
Cool beans Alex! I am glad that for the most part she hasn't hurt herself by flying out of the seat with no platform to stand on. But its funny how if I were to have gone over to her wheel and felt the warmth I would have got a nice hand warming -this time- that makes me feel good but what made her feel bad is that she hasn't practiced with resistance enough and therefore she got the cramp. I am concerned about it too because the instructors- whom I know well- need to get on with comunicating the way the bike makes the big three work for the rider which is basic and was apart of the orientation. :cool:
Meg