PDA

View Full Version : Endurance Ride - how frequently? When in the season?

stacymunn
02-28-2006, 12:18 PM
I've been leading mostly interval rides and want to incorporate some endurance rides. How frequently do you put these into your training routine; once a month, once a week? Is there an optimal time in the cycling/running season to incorporate endurance rides?
Thanks in advance for any info.
-Stacy

eric8235
02-28-2006, 01:09 PM
Stacy,

The truth is that most rides should be in the endurance zone but that is not what most class participants want. If you can get your class to do it, once a week would be great. Perhaps you can extend the length of time a little bit so that the calorie counters still burn up the requisite number. The general wisdom among cyclists is to put in a lot of base miles at endurance pace early in the season or early in the training cycle, then add more intervals and speed sessions as the season progresses. I envy you if you can get your participants interested in endurance rides. At our gym they want all intervals all the time.

raptor
03-01-2006, 12:50 AM
I do lots of "endurance" rides, probably half of all the time in my profiles is focused on endurance. I do more endurance rides than interval rides. (And "intervals" doesn't automatically mean anaerobic.)

But my definition might be a little different. I consider endurance drills to involve a high heart rate for extended periods of time, not the Spinning flavor of endurance which is easier. There is nothing easy about my endurance rides. I spend a lot of time motivating people to keep pushing against their anaerobic threshold.

This is the time of year to be focusing on endurance, though the first couple hundred base miles for the typical bike racer will be less intense than my endurance rides. As the weather warms and the racing season starts, I fold more intense intervals into my schedule.

Lynn

Chikita Banana North
03-01-2006, 07:57 AM
If you can sell your clients on the reasoning behind endurance...they typically buy -in....when was the last time someone said..."I'm not here to burn fat or calories, build lung capacity or heart strength!!!"

It does take time but they'll see results. Heart rate M's are important as well as great tunes and an instructor that stays relativley quiet. My clients are always cued at the beginning of an endurance ride to "go somewhere...keep your mind quiet and enjoy the time with yourself doing something great...just for you!
Chikita Banana North