PDA

View Full Version : Tabata spinning

Laryn41
01-14-2015, 02:17 PM
Hi,
is tababta spinning legit as a part of a regular cycle class?

Deirdre
01-21-2015, 04:34 PM
I've been doing tabata intervals in my IC classes for about 5 years. I would never do an entire class of tabatas - one should not be able to and if you can then you are missing the point.

Laryn41
01-25-2015, 12:50 PM
Agreed! I usually only do one set! Thank you

econgirl
03-01-2015, 05:24 AM
Hi guys
I have started to integrate tabata into my spinning, usually at the end - a set of 8 - is this too many? A lot of studies etc. seem to use the 4minute/8 rounds protocol but perhaps in a spinning context less might be more?

CycleGuy
03-01-2015, 06:31 PM
Excellent - the best (only!) place to integrate Tabata intervals would be at the end of a class/workout.

The original protocol for Tabata intervals, as originally presented in research, is 8 sets of 20 secs extreme (maximum) effort followed by 10 secs rest. That totals 4 minutes for the intervals. Completion of 8 sets indicated a failure to work hard enough. So…

There are classes (cycle, step, boot camp, etc.) that use multiple sets of 'Tabata' intervals. They are, in my opinion, not Tabata, but merely Tabata-styled intervals - because they follow the 20/10 split.

Vivienne
03-02-2015, 05:59 AM
What CycleGuy said.

Only one study studied the 4 min/set of 8 round and became so mirepresented......the one by Izumi Tabata. It wasn't designed to gussy up group ex. classes but to test a hypothesis on HIIT vs. steady state training.

I use tabata-lite, tabata-esque, tabata-timing and poseur tabata to describe what I offer in class, even if it's only one round.......anything else isn't Tabata, they're high intensity rounds with a short psychological break.

Vivienne

econgirl
03-02-2015, 06:15 AM
Excellent - thanks for the advice guys!

Speedy
03-03-2015, 06:05 AM
Thank heavens for referring to your similarly timed tabata as 'tabata-esque'. I agree with everything you wrote. In fact, I've just written a paper about how tabata has been misused in fitness. How can we identify and 'make' participants work at 170% of their VO2? My apologies, this is something I can get evangelical about. The tabata protocol is only four minutes and isn't 'tossed' into an hour or 45 min. class. I love how Vivienne borrows aspects of it but still teaches her participants that it's not Tabata

Vivienne
03-03-2015, 09:45 AM
FWIW, I fancy a better use of 4 mins for a higher intensity round is to use 4 X 40secs on:20secs off.

The 20:10 is quite a rapid fire change and a good many folk get quite discombobulated just trying to "keep up". It's also tricky to cue effectively. On the odd occasion that I join in with the tabata tomfoolery, I actually announce that there's going to be 4 mins of commercial tabata-timed music so they need to listen to the music and the d-j

Vivienne
03-03-2015, 01:48 PM
Another FWIW, one of my nattering points when we're cooling down after a class with tabata tomfoolery (that only came to me today so I'll be wearing it threadbare....) is a brief.....for me.....explanation of what Tabatas are and aren't. Especially when they're not done on a bike that doesn't fall over. This is quite an important point because, when you're getting close to failure, you don't want to be doing something like lunge jumps, kettlebell snatches or clean & presses. No siree. I'm willing to bet that tabataing these exercise formats provides a nice stimulus package for the local orthopedists and physical therapists.

Speedy
03-05-2015, 05:24 AM
Tabata tomfooler...fantastic. I absolutely agree about the timing too: 20/10 transitions are too tight, making coaching or cueing nearly impossible and proper form and execution of nearly (or completely) impossible.

Todd S
03-05-2015, 10:55 AM
Agreed. With an "all out" effort I never go shorter than a 1:1 work to recovery ratio.

Vivienne
03-05-2015, 01:15 PM
Agreed. With an "all out" effort I never go shorter than a 1:1 work to recovery ratio.

You're a better man than I, Todd. With an actual, gen-U-ine, all out effort I usually can't hack shorter than a 1:10........assuming I'm expected to come back for more, that is. Been getting my *come-uppance* for the past few Saturdays with my Sufferfest cronies.....

Vivienne...where have you been, BTW I've been wondering????

Vivienne
03-05-2015, 01:22 PM
Not for nothing (as they say).....I'll bet you any money that Usain Bolt wouldn't be able to walk back to the starting blocks and give another ALL OUT effort a mere 10 seconds after his first.

Physiology.....it's a Science for reason...

tvano1991
03-05-2015, 07:25 PM
I don't call them Tabata, but I do 20:10 x 8 intervals....usually towards the beginning of class, prior to the longer intervals that Vivienne referred to (40:20) and always followed by recovery.

SparkleStrand
03-08-2015, 07:34 PM
I think you really need to explain what tabata is to a class, a lot of people don't know what it is.

TheU
03-14-2015, 01:27 PM
I like interval classes. I think Im going to start a new one. I want to do 1 seated climb for 2 minutes, then 2 minutes cool down, then 2 minute standing climb, then 2 min cool down and repeat for a 45 min class. Basically 2min x 2 mins but alternating seated with standing climbs to not get to boring and to also stretch out the legs!