View Full Version : My Story

02-03-2006, 11:49 AM
I have been teaching 4 classes a week for a while in fact I gave up one class because 5 was just to much for me. I started at a new gym teaching two classes a week. It was small but nice then the numbers dropped and stayed down. To the point that they would call me up to cancel the class because no one signed up. So they are getting rid of spinning altogether. Down to two, then the other day they canceled another one of my classes because of numbers too. So now I am down to one. Kinda sad, but looking at this as an oppertunity to work out for me. Take other instructors classes. I know it's not me the members have all told me how much they enjoy my class but have stopped for one reason or another (work, medical, moving...) I could go on.

Just wanted some to share my story. Thanks for listening

02-03-2006, 12:44 PM
I think that you have the right attitude. Most likely the demographic is dropping another thing is how well the gym is doing the sales bit and getting new members in. I am letting go of a class soon. I want to go race this year. Though I hate to give it up I need to keep things into perspective you only post so many times in the 40 and older forum until you realize hey there is a lot of other things that can make you just as happy and give you more to experience

02-03-2006, 01:44 PM
At one point I had seven classes a week as a part time instructor (I have a non-fitness related full time job!!!) and it became too much... I gave up a few classes to concentrate on my training and well-being! so I understand your point...

As for the low attendance classes; I have to agree that sometimes it's the club's fault... marketing and selling fitness classes is not a walk in the park and some club salespeople have never even taken the class their selling! Don't be hard on yourself for losing the classes, with a little networking you'll find places full of energy that will be thrilled to have you.. or you can continue to focus on your own training, sometimes we forget how important that is.

02-03-2006, 04:20 PM
Definetely an opportunity to do something new! Try doing a new home study course, or ride more outdoors. I cherish the little time I get now. Not complaining but I think my plate is as full as I like;) .

02-06-2006, 04:54 AM
I work (in my spare time) at a variety of gyms and have noticed that attendance varies considerably. When one gym has a full class with a dozen names in reserve, the next day at a different gym will see a handful of people in the class.

Sometimes it can be as simple as the fact that it's on the same night as football, rugby, whatever - Wednesday nights are almost dead in one gym, due to the amount of men dropping out to watch football in the pub... :rolleyes:

02-06-2006, 05:13 PM
I hear ya! Try teaching on a Saturday in the fall when Auburn and Bama are playing home games, or God forbid when they're plaing each other:eek:
I might as well sleep in :rolleyes: .

02-06-2006, 09:02 PM
Thanks for all your responses. I am looking forward to staring my new training schedule. I did get another class, so now I'm at two, thats a bonus. Plus the days I am training I'm good to go.