PDA

View Full Version : Do you promote your classes on Facebook? Is it helpful?

admin
05-07-2014, 11:06 AM
My dept head asked me if I promote my classes on Facebook - sheepishly I had to admit "not so much" :(

Are you?

Please indicate how much you're using Facebook in this poll and then leave a comment explaining if, or if not you find it helpful in building your participation numbers.

SpinBob
05-07-2014, 04:22 PM
Frankly, I do not want to be "friends" with my students on Facebook. The YMCA where I teach has a Facebook page that promotes our classes for us, but I would like to think the popularity of my class has nothing to do with that. ;)

Paul S.
05-08-2014, 04:39 AM
I don't want to be "friends" with my participants either, so I set up a separate FB page for my classes. It hasn't really helped increase my class participation.

tvano1991
05-08-2014, 09:58 AM
I teach at a local gym in a small town, so I am actually friends (or have become friends) with a lot of my participants. I promote my class on the facility Facebook page, as well as my own. I think it's a good reminder and has hooked a few extra riders, too!!!

dawn
05-09-2014, 04:36 AM
Because of my "day job" I am not a Face Book participant. Our club however has a online system where members sign up for classes, announcements are made and you can "vibe" with participants and other instructors. All of the schedules are posted. There is a separate Instructor Section where you note your class count, ask for a sub, etc. It is sort of a Facebook for the club plus more. Still learning it.

groupfitpower
05-09-2014, 07:47 AM
I'm sort of half and half. I guess that has to do with my overall love/hate of Facebook. I'm friends with some of my students, but I don't seek them out. They become my friends when they realize I'm friends with another instructor they've friended.... Anyway, I only promote special events on Facebook, although the "big box" group fit director will post almost daily what is on the schedule that day on the gym page and then tag me the days I teach, so it appears on my friend's news feeds.

I personally think it has very little effect, especially now that the news feed is getting more and more heavily populated with ads disguised as posts. What is more important (in my opinion) is having a regularly-updated website that has accurate class times and (when possible) subs / cancellations / changes clearly indicated.

zoepup
05-13-2014, 10:49 AM
I post to the my FB page and the facilities. THis way if I don't want to be friends with them (or they with me) they can check the gym's page.

InnerDrive
05-14-2014, 10:00 AM
I'm in a little different position as a studio owner. The studio page obviously posts info about classes pretty regularly. I have become facebook friends with a number of the studio's more regular participants (and some were friends before the studio opened). I frequently "share" posts from the studio page on my own timeline, but don't frequently post about specific class *I* am teaching unless there's something special going on.

I'm comfortable being Facebook friends with my customers/clients, because in general, I don't post a lot of personal information.

dawn
05-29-2014, 12:13 PM
I myself am not on Facebook at all. Our club does have a Motion Vibe site. Members may view schedules, sign up for classes, "vibe with others" etc. . Announcements are also posted on this site. Instructors actually post their class count , make sub requests and can check their schedules, etc. This site also is used for payroll to calculte the number of classes you taught. Hoes this information is helpful.

anubette
09-02-2014, 09:13 PM
I do! You never know who you might motivate to try a class! It may surprise you.

lauriek
12-08-2014, 08:16 PM
My classes have pretty good attendence and most people are "regulars" at the various clubs I'm at... so no, I don't advertise on FB.

jscarl01
12-16-2014, 08:58 PM
I don't advertise specifically but I do mention the club a lot on my profile to give them publicity as I mention my classes. If any friends attend, I am sure to mention them in the post as well.

eschrimmel
01-20-2015, 10:16 AM
I do post my classes on my Facebook page - so that friends/family/acquaintances who may not regularly take my classes might see it and give it a try. I don't post everyday, but maybe at the beginning of the week, or posting an updated schedule monthly. I don't want to bog down their newsfeed all the time, but I have had people give classes a try because they saw it on my page.

Elvis
01-24-2015, 08:57 AM
Yeah, I'm a little reluctant !!! I like to separate friends and the gym.

Missy
05-18-2015, 10:25 AM
I always promote my classes on FB!! My classes for the week and the ones I'm subbing for!! My faithful followers like it!

TheU
05-20-2015, 12:01 AM
I think social media is a great source to update clients when you are subbing for someone else or when someone is subbing for me.

EdM
05-22-2015, 02:16 PM
Yes, when there's something special about the class. Not so many friends on FB that come to my classes so it doesn't help with the visibility much. One club I teach at has an automatic feed (GroupExPro) to our online schedule on the club's web site & highlights any subs.

Osopositive
12-13-2017, 01:26 PM
Yes, I post if I am subbing a class that I don't regularly teach. It allows my students to know that I will be teaching an extra class.