PDA

View Full Version : Why your club demands that YOU DO NOT TALK TO THE MEDIA!

admin
09-18-2013, 05:40 PM
If you teach at Life Time Fitness (or most any other Big Box... and I'll bet Soulcycle as well) you were asked to agree to a work under a code of conduct. As part of that agreement, you're instructed not to talk to the media. For good reason.

Reporters often have a specific agenda that they want to promote through an article they're writing. To give the article legitimacy, they will often seek out someone that they can quote in the article. If the article is about fitness/weight loss, etc... they'll try to find someone who has branded themselves as an "expert" who'll agree to be quoted or they'll find someone connected with a respected organization; i.e. your club or studio.

Except often times they'll present themselves on one side of an issue, but their real intent is to write the article on the opposite side - except they won't tell you that. No. They'll stroke your ego (reporters are trained to do that to get you to talk) and make you feel important.

Most of us are wise to flattery and not affected by it, yet some unfortunately are not. Some will quickly cave to the thought they will be quoted by some important media outlet and give no thought to the things they say.

The media representative at your organisation has a lot of experience and training dealing with the media. They know to stick to their message (or talking points) and will not be influenced by a reporter's tricks and/or manipulations.

Here's a great illustration of an author with an agenda, looking for someone they can quote out of context. We all need to; A: learn to run away from these people or B: hang up on when they call. http://www.harpersbazaar.com/beauty/health-wellness-articles/is-spinning-making-you-fat-0913

groupfitpower
09-19-2013, 11:19 AM
I have to admit, I kind of feel bad for the folks quoted in the article. I mean, really? All of these tenured "experts" agree that Spinning makes you fat? It's ridiculous. But, on the bright side, I don't think anyone is reading Harper's Bazaar for fitness tips. The audience of that magazine isn't interested in getting fit. I'm not sure what they are interested in, but somehow, I don't think the blood sweat and tears of hard work is part of their day-to-day. Feel free to correct me, if any of you with a subscription.

admin
09-19-2013, 11:53 AM
Krista I checked and their paper subscribers number ~700,000 and their website sees around a million visitors a month.

Todd S
09-20-2013, 11:02 AM
I saw their main points as being....

"First, depending on the body you start with, indoor cycling may not get you the body you want."

and...

"Not everybody responds to the same exercise stimuli the same way,"

and...

"No discussion of gaining weight and bulking up would be complete without considering diet."

I can't say that I disagree. I guess being able to quote a bunch of experts is just an easy way to support the arguments.

SpinBob
09-20-2013, 09:42 PM
Krista I checked and their paper subscribers number ~700,000 and their website sees around a million visitors a month. I think Krista's point was that the readers of Harper's Bazaar are buying it for reasons other than fitness advice, regardless of their number. Fashion is the selling point for that product and the story really didn't cover exercise fashion.

panamagrl
09-22-2013, 07:46 PM
I agree with you Bob-this is shit in a handbag, but many people will see this, and incorporated through the their tiny little brains filter much less. We keep fighting the good fight.

tvano1991
09-23-2013, 06:35 AM
I didn't really think the article was all that bad, and isn't something we've never heard before. I've had INSTRUCTORS tell me their butt is getting bigger from teaching.

I think Jennifer Sage hit the nail right on the head - I loved her quote. But then, I'm a proponent of cross training and lift weights 4-5 days per week; I tend to agree that doing too much Spinning, especially at higher intensities (which, let's face it, most of our participants "want") can increase my hunger and cravings to the point that they are much harder to control.

I think people believe what they want to believe and while this article might make them stop and think, if they love indoor cycling and are getting results, they're going to keep coming. The fitness world is fickle.

RNDDUDE
09-23-2013, 10:14 AM
Surprised no one commented on the article photo of a model STANDING ON A CONVENTIONAL BIKE BACKWARDS! Sort of compromises the article's credibility from the get go. I must say that I have worked with Harley Pasternak in the past and find him to be eminently knowledgeable about fitness.

zoepup
09-23-2013, 10:26 PM
you mean i should stop believing what i read in the "national enquirer" ?:eek: All kidding aside, media will can shape a story any way they see fit. However, at times I think most of us do that.

tarah
09-24-2013, 06:52 AM
This is the stuff that should be making us angry: An article in a fitness magazine, about how to prevent injuries. For indoor cycling, they interview some SoulCycle instructor on ways to avoid common injuries. Although the article correctly notes that knee injuries would be your major injury threat, notice that nothing at all is mentioned about using sufficient resistance. http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/workout/tips/safety/ways-to-prevent-injury/?page=5

tvano1991
09-25-2013, 06:34 AM
This is the stuff that should be making us angry: An article in a fitness magazine, about how to prevent injuries. For indoor cycling, they interview some SoulCycle instructor on ways to avoid common injuries. Although the article correctly notes that knee injuries would be your major injury threat, notice that nothing at all is mentioned about using sufficient resistance. http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/workout/tips/safety/ways-to-prevent-injury/?page=5

Agreed - they make it sound *so simple* (<--- sarcasm.)

Vivienne
09-25-2013, 10:11 AM
While it's on my mind, your gym might also *demand* that you don't post on websites such as this.

Hasn't happened to me of late, but it behooves everyone to remember that there's nothing to stop any class member, gym vigilante etc. from accessing these boards and threads and comments (other than a 5 post minimum) and use them for whatever they think is important.

Efharisto!

Vivienne

tvano1991
09-25-2013, 10:21 AM
While it's on my mind, your gym might also *demand* that you don't post on websites such as this.

Hasn't happened to me of late, but it behooves everyone to remember that there's nothing to stop any class member, gym vigilante etc. from accessing these boards and threads and comments (other than a 5 post minimum) and use them for whatever they think is important.

Efharisto!

Vivienne

I've become very careful about what I say on here for that very reason. :)

Vivienne
09-25-2013, 10:49 AM
I've become very careful about what I say on here for that very reason. :)

Well, I've become just the opposite.

FWIW, I don't perceive that I've ever badmouthed an employer or compromised their reputation in any meaningful way on an internet website. If there's a vigilante out there (Efharisto! ...... it is still out there BTW.....hello Jan!.....we know you're watching!) and my employer chooses to listen to complaints from that direction, I reckon it's better that we go our separate ways.

admin
09-25-2013, 11:06 AM

Efharisto!

Vivienne
I had to look that word up Vivienne; Greek for Thank You, is that right?

I feel there's a big distinction between posting here and being interviewed by a reporter. Here you're an individual - although you should be aware that the Internet is forever.
Reporters want credible sources and want to show a chain of authority; Instructor Andy Swenson doesn't have nearly the authority that; ACE certified Instructor Andy Swenson with Mega Fitness Club has. Your club wants to prevent that chain from occurring as it could be used negatively, even though you had good intentions when you gave the reporter permission to use your quote.

admin
09-25-2013, 11:45 AM
On the topic of the Internet being forever... Google can provide a wealth of information about who finds this site and what were they searching for when they found it. The 5th most popular page, visited from a web search is http://www.pedal-on.com/showthread.php?7719-Does-spinning-tones-your-butt Which is one of the top results to a search for "Does spinning tone your butt?"

groupfitpower
09-25-2013, 02:14 PM
On the topic of the Internet being forever... Google can provide a wealth of information about who finds this site and what were they searching for when they found it. The 5th most popular page, visited from a web search is http://www.pedal-on.com/showthread.php?7719-Does-spinning-tones-your-butt Which is one of the top results to a search for "Does spinning tone your butt?"

Ermehgawwsh. There are no words...

Todd S
09-25-2013, 02:56 PM
I guess it could be said that posting will make your butt look big.

SpinBob
09-26-2013, 11:50 AM
I guess it could be said that posting will make your butt look big.Too funny, do these cycling shorts make my butt look bigger?

admin
10-04-2013, 06:59 AM
Too funny, do these cycling shorts make my butt look bigger?
No Bob - but wearing cycling bibs can help you look thinner (http://www.indoorcycleinstructor.com/icipro-instructor-training/pearl-izumi-bibs-cure-for-a-muffin-top/) :)

admin
10-04-2013, 08:48 AM
Welcome ICA readers! If you're not a member and want to comment you can join for free using this link (http://www.pedal-on.com/register.php).

Thanks for the link Bill!

A couple of new thoughts on this:

1st - You can't put the Genie back in the bottle. Millions (yes millions) of women will read this article over the next months and years - many of them will ignore it, but there will be a segment who will read this and think "well that confirms my concerns about cycling classes" and may never step foot in one of our classes - ever.

2nd - But Jennifer was misquoted! You're right she was misquoted. My Facebook post was specifically about why the author (with what we now see as a specific agenda) chose Jennifer to quote in the article that denigrates our favorite form of exercise. It's really simple to understand why; the author wanted a quote from someone that would strengthen her article, by listing someone with an impressive title - giving the impression of being an authoritative source... and she found one. Notice that there are no quotes from any of the established IC brands. Publishers and marketers understand almost no one reads articles word by word, they skim them for important words.

Bill your quote; "First, it should be obvious that no one speaks for the entire indoor cycling industry. The industry includes gyms, clubs and studios, bike and other product manufacturers, certifying organizations, educational resources, and instructors. No one speaks for that diverse of a group. Just as no one, not even the AMA, speaks for all physicians, or no one, not even the NRA, speaks for all gun owners."
conveniently ignores my point. To the uninformed public a representative from the NRA does speak for all gun owners, the head of the AMA does speak for all doctors. That's why a reporter will seek out the representative who presents him or herself as an Expert or leader of (or connected to) a particular group, rather than Billy Bob gun owner from down the street when they need a quote about gun safety.

My original post (http://www.pedal-on.com/showthread.php?12770-Why-your-club-demands-that-YOU-DO-NOT-TALK-TO-THE-MEDIA!&p=126246#post126246) in this thread is very specific to why your club doesn't want you to speak to the media. A reporter has very little interest in quoting a random Indoor Cycling Instructor... while they are very eager to include a quote from an Indoor Cycling Instructor with Soul Cycle, Flywheel, Lifetime Fitness, Equinox, etc..

3rd - What specific and or direct knowledge does she have to represent either side of this argument? Has she conducted any clinical trials that proves/disproves this? Has anyone? I'm not aware of any published research that would qualify anyone as an expert on whether or not your legs will get bigger from indoor cycling. As far as I can tell her knowledge comes from the same sources we all have available, should we choose to research the subject.

4th - Jennifer Sage was offered (and rejected) the same Industry Standard user designation we offer any other contributor that could benefit financially from their participation here at pedal-on.com.

Todd S
10-04-2013, 09:51 AM
No Bob - but wearing cycling bibs can help you look thinner (http://www.indoorcycleinstructor.com/icipro-instructor-training/pearl-izumi-bibs-cure-for-a-muffin-top/) :)

... or like a stuffed sausage.

InnerDrive
10-06-2013, 04:54 AM
Sorry - I'm confused by this post... was this in response to a prior post that was maybe removed?

Welcome ICA readers! If you're not a member and want to comment you can join for free using this link (http://www.pedal-on.com/register.php).

Thanks for the link Bill!

A couple of new thoughts on this:

1st - You can't put the Genie back in the bottle. Millions (yes millions) of women will read this article over the next months and years - many of them will ignore it, but there will be a segment who will read this and think "well that confirms my concerns about cycling classes" and may never step foot in one of our classes - ever.

2nd - But Jennifer was misquoted! You're right she was misquoted. My Facebook post was specifically about why the author (with what we now see as a specific agenda) chose Jennifer to quote in the article that denigrates our favorite form of exercise. It's really simple to understand why; the author wanted a quote from someone that would strengthen her article, by listing someone with an impressive title - giving the impression of being an authoritative source... and she found one. Notice that there are no quotes from any of the established IC brands. Publishers and marketers understand almost no one reads articles word by word, they skim them for important words.

Bill your quote; "First, it should be obvious that no one speaks for the entire indoor cycling industry. The industry includes gyms, clubs and studios, bike and other product manufacturers, certifying organizations, educational resources, and instructors. No one speaks for that diverse of a group. Just as no one, not even the AMA, speaks for all physicians, or no one, not even the NRA, speaks for all gun owners."
conveniently ignores my point. To the uninformed public a representative from the NRA does speak for all gun owners, the head of the AMA does speak for all doctors. That's why a reporter will seek out the representative who presents him or herself as an Expert or leader of (or connected to) a particular group, rather than Billy Bob gun owner from down the street when they need a quote about gun safety.

My original post (http://www.pedal-on.com/showthread.php?12770-Why-your-club-demands-that-YOU-DO-NOT-TALK-TO-THE-MEDIA!&p=126246#post126246) in this thread is very specific to why your club doesn't want you to speak to the media. A reporter has very little interest in quoting a random Indoor Cycling Instructor... while they are very eager to include a quote from an Indoor Cycling Instructor with Soul Cycle, Flywheel, Lifetime Fitness, Equinox, etc..

3rd - What specific and or direct knowledge does she have to represent either side of this argument? Has she conducted any clinical trials that proves/disproves this? Has anyone? I'm not aware of any published research that would qualify anyone as an expert on whether or not your legs will get bigger from indoor cycling. As far as I can tell her knowledge comes from the same sources we all have available, should we choose to research the subject.

4th - Jennifer Sage was offered (and rejected) the same Industry Standard user designation we offer any other contributor that could benefit financially from their participation here at pedal-on.com.

admin
10-06-2013, 07:38 AM
It's in response to a blog post that's linked to this thread.