PDA

View Full Version : spotify vs itunes

orthos47
07-05-2013, 02:35 PM
Does any one know how to integrate your itunes playlist with spotify playlists? I can transfer songs, but they will not play off line.
Thanks,
Orthos47

InnerDrive
07-05-2013, 05:10 PM
Do you have a paid Spotify account? What I do is create playlists on my computer using any itunes music I want to include, then specify "available offline" for that playlist, and then I seem to be able to access those songs on my phone. If I forget that step, I seem to be out of luck!

admin
07-06-2013, 12:19 PM
Can you be more specific?
What do you mean by integrate? Do you see an iTunes playlist folder in Spotify? Spotify automatically creates that folder if you have; Edit > Preferences > Local Files and tic the iTunes box.

By transfer do you mean to a phone?

Are you syncing (make available offline) your phone while connected to the same wireless network as your computer?

orthos47
07-06-2013, 03:09 PM
I mean transfer to Ipod. The I tunes playlists appear under spotify, I have my my lists available offline, but the itunes songs will not play. Example: I will have 5 songs from spotify and # 6 might be an itunes song(it will not play). I have synched my ipod, but it will not appear under devices. Is this the problem?
Thanks-frustrating
orthos 47

admin
07-06-2013, 04:31 PM
I mean transfer to Ipod. The I tunes playlists appear under spotify, I have my my lists available offline, but the itunes songs will not play. Example: I will have 5 songs from spotify and # 6 might be an itunes song(it will not play). I have synched my ipod, but it will not appear under devices. Is this the problem?
Thanks-frustrating
orthos 47

That's why I asked you some additional questions. Spotify doesn't work with an iPod - do you have an iPod touch? Spotify only works with wirelessly enabled devices like an iPod touch and most smart phones - and only when you have a Spotify premium (paid) account.

If you do have a touch - and your local (iTunes) files won't play, it typically means you didn't sync your two devices (computer and touch/iPhone/iPad/Android) with both Spotify open on both and both connected to the same Wi-Fi network. You'll know you're connected only when you see your device in the left hand sidebar of Spotify.

Also setting a playlist as available offline on your computer, doesn't carry over to your wireless device. You need to set your device to offline as well.

Additional help with Spotify (http://www.indoorcycleinstructor.com/spotify) articles here.

For anyone considering Spotify

You never transfer tracks for use with Spotify with a connection cord - only with a Wi-Fi system.

Yes I know Spotify shows you can transfer music using your iPod cord - but when you do this you're only using Spotify as a replacement for iTunes and your local files. Don't do it :( Spotify is a poor replacement for iTunes for your iPod and you'll regret doing so.

melboney
07-06-2013, 09:19 PM
Yes I know Spotify shows you can transfer music using your iPod cord - but when you do this you're only using Spotify as a replacement for iTunes and your local files. Don't do it :( Spotify is a poor replacement for iTunes for your iPod and you'll regret doing so.

There has got to be a better way! I just want to SIMPLY use and store audio files. MediaMonkey almost has it, but I have duplicates on my hard-drive because I'm transitioning from iTunes to MM. This is so challenging; someone must find a better way.

orthos47
07-07-2013, 07:08 AM
Thanks!!! appreciate the help.
orthos47

groupfitpower
07-08-2013, 12:04 PM
There has got to be a better way! I just want to SIMPLY use and store audio files. MediaMonkey almost has it, but I have duplicates on my hard-drive because I'm transitioning from iTunes to MM. This is so challenging; someone must find a better way.

Media Monkey will import your itunes files without having to create duplicates? Why do you have two? Now that you do, though, there are easy but slightly tedious ways to remove duplicates within Media Monkey.

YANKEEDC
07-09-2013, 07:27 PM
Go to File icon on top left of spotify and choose import playlist. Easiest way to do it. Good luck...

Newmie
07-28-2013, 07:18 AM
I have had the same issue. For some reason, I just don't get how to make playlists in spotify using my existing music...let along sharing those playlists with other instructors or with my students who like the music.

I don't know if I am just technologically challenged or if I am just not using it correctly.

admin
07-28-2013, 08:08 AM
Newmie it's not just you, I get similar questions from members all the time. I'll answer your second question first; you can only share Spotify (or Deezer/other streaming services) music with others - there is no option to share Local Tracks / music from your iTunes library with others.

Spotify will import your iTunes tracks for just you to use. As Dan explains above, select Import Playlists from the File menu to access all your existing iTunes playlist. You also want to go to Edit > Preferences and scroll down to the Local Files and tic all the boxes so all your local tracks will show in Spotify. There's a listing for Local Files in the left hand column under Collection. Search will bring up both Spotify and local tracks. Then just drag and drop :)

Remember that you can only transfer local files to your iPhone/Droid while both your computer and device are connected to the same wireless network.

There is IMO a better solution... join us that have stepped out of the iTunes darkness into the light that is Spotify. Creating playlists exclusively from Spotify eliminates all the frustration you're having trying to use both iTunes and Spotify.

Quick tip: did you forget to set your class playlist to make available offline? If it only contains Spotify tracks you can download everything using the club's WiFi (or if you're desperate, over 3G) - this is not an option if the playlist includes local tracks.

You can convert Spotify playlists to Deezer here: http://www.indoorcycleinstructor.com/free-spotify-deezer-music-track-playlist-conversion-tool/

Newmie
07-28-2013, 01:26 PM
Whew! Glad I am not the only one who is confused.;) How much experiences do you have using mashups/remixes through spotify? Do you have much luck finding them already uploaded there or do you have to use them from your local files more often than not?

SpinBob
07-28-2013, 01:45 PM
It depends on the remix/mash up and who made it. A lot of artists are releasing albums of various songs remixed by different DJs.