PDA

View Full Version : Voice Projection!

Alanoud7
03-30-2013, 09:51 PM
Hello,

I'm a new spinning instructor (started co-teaching 2 months ago). I'm having a hard time projecting my voice& I can't see any progress! I'd appreciate any tips or advice!

Vivienne
03-31-2013, 05:49 AM
Hello,

I'm a new spinning instructor (started co-teaching 2 months ago). I'm having a hard time projecting my voice& I can't see any progress! I'd appreciate any tips or advice! Get a mic..

Alanoud7
03-31-2013, 09:20 AM
Get a mic..

it's not that simple! I do have a mic, and still having issues with my voice. Some people are naturally loud, and find it natural to project their voice. Anyways, I did my lil research and found out that the key factor is breathing. once you control it, you will be able to PROJECT!

Again, I'd appreciate any suggestions! :-)

SpinBob
03-31-2013, 09:26 AM
You need to find a good balance between the volume of your music and the volume of the microphone. You need to make sure that your voice can be heard over the music when you talk. If your music is too loud, either turn up the volume on the mic, or turn down the volume on the music. Also experiment with how close to your mouth the microphone needs to be to work properly. If it is too far away, it can almost be like having no microphone at all. Do your experimenting before or after class, not during class.

LAWOMAN
04-01-2013, 06:36 AM
I will sometimes ask my class, "Can you all hear me ok? Am I too loud? Is the music too loud?".

tarah
04-01-2013, 04:07 PM
In the meantime, make lots of eye contact, use hand gestures, consider walking around the class, and don't be afraid to turn the volume down if you need to explain something.

Spin_me
04-01-2013, 05:07 PM
Use more instrumental music. The voice of your music overlay your speech! or use the voice free time in your songs to give commands.

Vivienne
04-02-2013, 05:05 AM
The point is, with a decent mic used properly, you shouldn't need to project. I have a quiet voice and the odd times I've had mic issues I squawk like a banchee when I try to project. I speak into the mic. I usually check at the start of class on whether the voice/music combo is OK. As I always tell my members......I'm the only one in the room who can't tell what I sound like.

Vivienne
04-02-2013, 07:11 AM
And, *Not For Nothing* as they say.....if you need any confirmation on how to use a mic/project your voice, you should take any Master Class or whatever with Jennifer Sage, Tom Scotto, Gene Nacey, Josh Taylor, Dr. Baby..... ( no squawkers/voice projectors in that rap-sheet)

Paul S.
04-02-2013, 11:25 AM
Two great pieces of advice I've found useful...

... don't be afraid to turn the volume down if you need to explain something.
It helps if you're close enough to the volume control that you don't lose eye contact with the class for too long.

... use the voice free time in your songs [to give] commands.
As I like to think of it, don't fight the lyrics with your cueing. Most songs have instrumental breaks. If you get to know your music well, you can time most of your cues for them. Very often, the instrumental sections are powerful guitar solos or synthesizer breaks where you can really push the class hard.

... As I always tell my members......I'm the only one in the room who can't tell what I sound like.
Thanks for that line Vivienne, I'll use it the next time I ask my members for a sound check.

Alanoud7
04-03-2013, 04:05 PM
You need to find a good balance between the volume of your music and the volume of the microphone. You need to make sure that your voice can be heard over the music when you talk. If your music is too loud, either turn up the volume on the mic, or turn down the volume on the music. Also experiment with how close to your mouth the microphone needs to be to work properly. If it is too far away, it can almost be like having no microphone at all. Do your experimenting before or after class, not during class.

I will try doing a sound-check before class, and adjust the volume if I'm starting the class. the thing is I'm still team teaching, and sometimes I teach the end of the class.

As for how close the mic to my mouth, at first it was too far and no one could hear me, but I solved that already.

Many thanks!

Alanoud7
04-03-2013, 04:06 PM
I will sometimes ask my class, "Can you all hear me ok? Am I too loud? Is the music too loud?".

will try that. thank you!

Alanoud7
04-03-2013, 04:09 PM
In the meantime, make lots of eye contact, use hand gestures, consider walking around the class, and don't be afraid to turn the volume down if you need to explain something.

I never tried walking around, and checking people's form in the middle of the class. thanks!

Alanoud7
04-03-2013, 04:15 PM
Use more instrumental music. The voice of your music overlay your speech! or use the voice free time in your songs the gice commands.

I already do that, many thanks! :-)

Alanoud7
04-03-2013, 04:28 PM
The point is, with a decent mic used properly, you shouldn't need to project. I have a quiet voice and the odd times I've had mic issues I squawk like a banchee when I try to project. I speak into the mic. I usually check at the start of class on whether the voice/music combo is OK. As I always tell my members......I'm the only one in the room who can't tell what I sound like.

the thing is, the only feedback I get from my mentor is on my voice projection, and how I have to project my voice in order to be heard. Apperantly, it's all about the mic, and how you adjust the volume of the mic/music. Thanks a lot!

JessicaChapman
05-14-2013, 09:04 AM
What type of mic would you recommend? One of our instructors brings his own but we would like to provide a wireless mic for other instructors that have softer voices..