PDA

View Full Version : Brake Pads

woodieknot
01-17-2006, 01:02 PM
We've had the Lemond bikes at our gym for close to 4 years. The brake pads have NEVER been replaced. Most of the bikes now have a resistance problem that being you crank and crank and then "POW" the resistance comes on big and fast. Then, the adjustments to the resistance can only be made by a smidgen of a turn lest you want to stop dead in your tracks.

How long have your pads lasted?

Raindrop
01-20-2006, 07:21 PM
Do you have the leather brake pads? If so, ours lasted about five years before they started needing replacement.

woodieknot
01-23-2006, 10:39 AM
Yes, we have the leather pads. Unfortunatly, over the past couple of years, the gym has not been keeping up with their maintenance of the bikes and therefore no oil was purchased for a fairly long time. Some instructors brought in WD-40 and I KNOW that is not good for leather. Then I saw a tub of marine grease one time and oh the horrors.......:eek:

Finally I purchased the 3-in-1 oil as recommended by LeMond just to get the point across that this product is the only thing that should be used.:mad:

Sounds like you had the opposite with regards to maintenance on your pads. Good for you guys.

Raindrop
01-29-2006, 11:11 PM
Actually, the club (that I'm referring to in the prior post) sucked at maintainance. I was the primary instructor, so I kept the bikes going until it got beyond my ability and then I was able to talk the owner into providing a free membership to a bike tech.

I guess you do what you have to do to keep your classes going huh?

woodieknot
02-12-2006, 05:13 PM
:mad: HAH! Our gym has a contracted an individual to service all cardio machines including our bikes. Just this past Saturday he "reviewed" the brake pad situation and came up with the following solution.
"The pads are glazed. All that needs to be done is to sand off the glazing and the pads will be as good as new. There is plenty of pad left so I recommend not replacing being that the pads are expensive anyway"
I'm astonished by this statement only because as I had previously mentioned, LeMond recommends replacing the pads every year or so. We are going on 4 years now. And how can one individual make an assesment of all 40 bikes without riding each and every one??? To top it all off, he also stated that it is OUR job as instructors to maintain the bikes and this "sanding" falls into the catagory of our responsibility.

OK - rant over.:confused:

britspin
02-13-2006, 04:07 AM
I am not familiar with the exact pads on Lemond, but the V bike has leather pads & roughing the surface does extend their life. However the leather is cushioned on a rubber open cell tyoe foam between leather & the metal backing/frame. This cushion becomes compressed over time & that is when you lose the fine tuning effect, and you get the all or nothing effect..replacement is the only answer at that point...unless you can source new foam. This effect is a good reason to back off the adjusters after a class, so that the pad is not held in compression whilst not in use..this will lengthen the pads life.

woodieknot
02-13-2006, 03:43 PM
Yes, Yes, Yes I agree totally!!!! I just can't seem to get that very point across the the gym owner. AARGHHHHHH!!!!!

alexkaboom
02-13-2006, 04:24 PM
I had a similar situation a while back at one of the gyms I teach... especially the part about our responsability as instructors to maintain the bikes...

I wrote a polite but firm email to our management. I figure if suddenly they took my classes away from speaking up my mind then that would be a place I didn't want to be after all... (don't know if you can do that or not but just a thought...)

I explained all of the issues about proper maintenance of the bikes and how false economy it really is to procrastinate on this... it will only make it more expensive later. Additionally while I take good care of the instructor bike, and do routine stuff to the rest of the bikes after class, I am an instructor and not a bike technician, if I'm going to invest time and money to keep the bikes in top-notch condition I should be compensated for it.

Good luck, hope they cave-in and replace the break pads!

Alex

eric@langhamcreekY
02-14-2006, 11:11 PM
I have an older RevMaster - back when they were still made by StairMaster - at home, and have purchased parts online from Sportsmith. Very reasonable prices, quick shipping...

Leather pad with foam - $2.95
http://sportsmith.net/ItemForm.aspx?item=P0211252&Category

Complete assembly (holder, leather pad, foam) - $14.95
http://sportsmith.net/ItemForm.aspx?item=P0211179&Category

Two screws hold the leather/foam pad in the metal holder assembly - 5 minute job TOPS! They feel like new after replacing the pads; big bang for almost no buck...

Good luck!

woodieknot
02-17-2006, 03:42 PM
See? Now thats what I call being helpful. Thanks everyone! I'll look into Sportsmith and bring them to the attention of the director (who by the way is on MY side).