PDA

View Full Version : Keiser M3 Average Information

Moot
02-04-2013, 08:43 PM
I was asked today by another instructor who wants to use the Keiser M3s for a fundraising event.

He wants to know if there is a way to get the average or max watts/rpm/calories used during a class, at end of it?

He wants to give prizes to those that achieve the highest stats.

Does someone know how that would work on the M3s and if it would be easy to do?

If not, is there a simple system that can be rented that he can use for this purpose? Like at the conference, when we had a screen in front with everyones's heart rates?

Thanks

Moot

Vivienne
02-05-2013, 06:51 AM
That's what the read-out on the console gives you when you'e stopped pedalling for a few seconds, right....the avarage watts and the total "calories" supposedly burned.

Am I correct in assuming that this instructor doesn't know much about the Keisers and the rationale for using the power feedback? I know this isn't what you asked, but you might want to clue him in that, for a fundraiser ride....with presumably differing levels of fitness/experience etc etc....., this isn't an AbFab use of the technology. The only thing worse would be a system that has folk pitting their heart rates against each other.

Another thing to consider is that for fundraisers of any length, say 2-3 hours, it's not unusual for folk to have to get up and use the bathroom facilities or just to give the undercarriage a break. The computers "die" when the pedals have been still for a bit and then the rider has to start all over again from "0"

Time to do a bit of educating, Moot

Vivienne

tking
02-09-2013, 12:06 PM
It's very easy to do. When you stop pedaling the cyclometer will flash average RPM, watts and heart rate for the time when the cyclometer was accumulating data. During the ride the cyclometer will toggle between watts and calories so if you pay attention at the end you can get total watts. Keep in mind that the calories is what the bike is experiencing, not the rider. It will flash the averages for only about 20 seconds so you need to work quickly to record the numbers before they are lost.

For an event you may want to let the rider warm up, then "zero out" the cyclometer, then start the ride and the gathering of data. To zero out the cyclometer simply stop pedaling then move the gear shift lever full up and full down quickly, several times, until the cyclometer displays zeros.

Thanks

Paul S.
02-09-2013, 05:55 PM
I'd have to say that average RPM is pretty meaningless because it doesn't take into account the gear. If sombody wanted to "win" the RPM competition, they could simply wail away as fast as possible in gear 1. Average HR would vary with age and will everyone have HRMs? Average calories is proportional to total watts if everyone rides for the same time so it might be easier to just use the watts number that alternates with calories.
However, I have to agree with Vivienne that a fundraising class will have people of such a range of fitness that a power competition is not really appropriate. Better to award prizes to those who raise the most money!

Vivienne
02-10-2013, 05:58 AM
I'd have to say that average RPM is pretty meaningless because it doesn't take into account the gear. If sombody wanted to "win" the RPM competition, they could simply wail away as fast as possible in gear 1. Average HR would vary with age and will everyone have HRMs? Average calories is proportional to total watts if everyone rides for the same time so it might be easier to just use the watts number that alternates with calories.
However, I have to agree with Vivienne that a fundraising class will have people of such a range of fitness that a power competition is not really appropriate. Better to award prizes to those who raise the most money!

But then that discriminates against the folk who do so many fundaraising events, they've run out of folk to tap for $$bucks or folk who don't have a big circle of aqauaintances etc. etc. What about hving a few low-cost/high value gifts for almost everyone (just for being there) based on a random entry ticket draw or some silly funky play on the console readings. The last indoor event I did I ended up having to do a big top-up myself just to make the "minimum" (I would've donated it all anyway, but still.....) I won a prize.......of a *free* TRX training session (the nicely printed little ticket was presented in a gift bag that someone had taken trouble to put together so was exciting to get as a gift) Unfortunately, I'm a certified TRX trainer (not that I don't have plenty to learn). The gal sitting on the bike next to me was thrilled that I donated it to her.

Paul S.
02-10-2013, 02:50 PM
But then that discriminates against the folk who do so many fundraising events, they've run out of folk to tap for $$bucks or folk who don't have a big circle of acquaintances etc. etc....

Agreed, there's too much pressure to raise lots of money in some of those events. I've liked it when the prizes were raffled off.