PDA

View Full Version : shoes

diane101
01-22-2013, 01:01 PM
I am new to pedal on and very excited about the resouces they have!! One of my first questions is how long to you keep your spin shoes before you replace them. I have an understanding when to change out my running shoes but not sure how often you need to replace indoor spinning shoes. I do not wear them outside! Thanks

Vivienne
01-22-2013, 01:23 PM
I am new to pedal on and very excited about the resouces they have!! One of my first questions is how long to you keep your spin shoes before you replace them. I have an understanding when to change out my running shoes but not sure how often you need to replace indoor spinning shoes. I do not wear them outside! Thanks

Good question, diane. My answer would be.....until they don't work.

The only reason I've had cause to replace my spin shoes was after I was consistently getting pain in the bunion on my right foot. I can't remember why I did it, but for some reason I picked up my shoes and eyeballed them one day and, whaddayaknow.....the sole on the right foot was actually broken. As in split at that ball-of-the-foot point.

I might be a maverick here, but I don't think you need to calculate mileage into the life of spin shoes

Vivienne

kelwend
01-22-2013, 02:56 PM
It depend on : 1st The quality of shoes and 2nd Are you a big sweater.

You can keep cycling shoes for ever if theyr are good quality, as in a lot of thing shoes are an investment you pay a lot for good one but at the end you save money as you do not have to change it every year or less ! Sidi shoes are reference in cycling, good looking and GREAT quality.

If you sweat a lot, I do ..., the life of your shoes can really shorter ... before investing on Sidi dominator shoes, I was with specialized ... I could keep the shoes 10 month ! Fortunatly the bike shop each time gave me a newone ...

tarah
01-22-2013, 02:59 PM
I agree with Vivienne & Kelwend, though I would add, at some point (every year or two, depending on your mileage), you should replace your cleats.

Megale
01-22-2013, 03:35 PM
Really it’s a day to day thing. If your feet hurt then it would be practical to move on. If you think that they go better with the old Mushroom style helmets of the 80's then aesthetics could be a reasonable reason (or turn the lights off in the studio so no one will know you pinch penny :p). If they break (which I have yet to do) then that is a no brainer but then there is duct tape (not). I am with the others there is no set limits comfort and tastes rule.
Mike

cyclecat29
01-28-2013, 01:56 AM
I keep my shoes as long as they continue to fit well and function. My current pair is starting to look a bit ragged, but then again, they are 4 years old. I spin in them 3-7 times per week. Things you can do to add life to your shoes:
1. Use third-party insoles (Superfeet, Sole, etc.). Remove and clean these regularly. I take them out often to help my shoes dry and wash them every couple of months.
2. Wash your shoes occasionally. Use a VERY gentle soap and swish them around in the sink upside down. Try not to soak the soles. Blot with towels. Hang to dry. Do not dry in the sun!
3. Don't walk outside with your shoes on if you wear road shoes, unless you have cleat covers. Protect your cleats and check them regularly for wear. As one poster noted, the cleats may wear out faster than the shoes.

Happy riding!

admin
01-28-2013, 07:10 PM
Good question, diane. My answer would be.....until they don't work.

The only reason I've had cause to replace my spin shoes was after I was consistently getting pain in the bunion on my right foot. I can't remember why I did it, but for some reason I picked up my shoes and eyeballed them one day and, whaddayaknow.....the sole on the right foot was actually broken. As in split at that ball-of-the-foot point.

I might be a maverick here, but I don't think you need to calculate mileage into the life of spin shoes

Vivienne
Great answer Vivienne - I've got a pair of Sidi Mega Road Shoes (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001IMEFUA/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B001IMEFUA&linkCode=as2&tag=indocyclinstp-20) (I've got wide feet) that I've had for at least 12 years. Other than replacing cleats an occasional Super Feet insole (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0011YC2J6/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0011YC2J6&linkCode=as2&tag=indocyclinstp-20) replacement and a bit of black shoe polish, these puppies should last forever :)

Vivienne
01-29-2013, 07:33 AM
Great answer Vivienne - I've got a pair of Sidi Mega Road Shoes (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001IMEFUA/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B001IMEFUA&linkCode=as2&tag=indocyclinstp-20) (I've got wide feet) that I've had for at least 12 years. Other than replacing cleats an occasional Super Feet insole (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0011YC2J6/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0011YC2J6&linkCode=as2&tag=indocyclinstp-20) replacement and a bit of black shoe polish, these puppies should last forever :)

Well, I've found a use for the broken shoes......practising with my sooper-dooper Ergon Pedal Cleat Tool (SPD compatible) ;)