PDA

View Full Version : Stuck in a music rut!

Sstoepel
11-12-2012, 10:45 PM
Hi I am in a music rut. I have taught spin classes for more than 12 years. I am bored to death. Please give me the music ideas!

ginada
11-18-2012, 08:36 PM
Gosh, I don't know where to start...My latest favs are The Pretender, Miss the Misery, Let's Go, Scream, ...my all time favorites are Viva, Reel around the sun, explosive, higher, palladio....oh there are too many to name..

PDX Steve
11-18-2012, 10:05 PM
If you drive to work, try changing the radio station you listen to regularly. Even go so far as changing you presets so you don't end up listening to the same station out of habit.

Do this quick before the holiday music starts. LOL

justagirl
11-19-2012, 08:56 AM
http://www.bootiemashup.com/bestofbootie2010/
Every year Best of Bootie puts out a mashup albumn. This link is 2010 but there are many others. You can play song by song or as one huge continuous mix. My classes dig it. And it's FREE!!!

tarah
11-19-2012, 09:49 AM
Mashups are fun (look up DJ Lobsterdust and DJ Earworm for free downloads). I also always download the free Song of the Week at ICI/Pro and on iTunes--often they are songs I would never have thought to use, but I challenge myself to include them in a playlist. Although you can never please everyone all the time, I also try to think of the regulars in my class and try to include songs that I know they like (e.g., I know one woman needs songs w/lyrics, another guy from the Caribbean loves anything with an "island flavor").

start
11-19-2012, 04:48 PM
I also check out the featured albums on spotify as well as the top 100 on billboard.com.

Vivienne
11-20-2012, 07:16 AM
One of the things that gets me out of a music rut is to listen to what I already have!

I've recently started to listen to the *songs* as opposed to *playlists* on my iPod when I get up in the morning and I'm constantly amazed (and sometimes mortified) at what I've purchased and have available at my fingertips.

Give it a shot.

Vivienne

wpaver
11-20-2012, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the link to Bootiemashup.com!

And to add to what Vivienne says, go thru tunes you already have. I'm digging the mashups lately, I try to search for a song I already have, then search for a mashup on Soundcloud website. They have lots of great mixes of songs you already have....with a new spin. Good luck!

kickerjoy
11-20-2012, 09:38 PM
1.Download Pandora or some other radio app on your smartphone, list of few of the genres you want, and listen while you drive or work around your house.
2. I have the Soundhound app, and whenever I'm somewhere-and it can be anywhere-that I hear something ridable, I can identify the song. I've found great music while shopping at the mall, watching TV, or at an IMAX movie with my family, just to name a few random places.

Sstoepel
11-30-2012, 04:57 PM
Thanks for this. I will try it!!!

Sstoepel
11-30-2012, 05:00 PM
Thanks for the tips!!! I really have a lot at my fingertips... I just forget!

Jacksonrider
12-03-2012, 02:37 PM
Many times when I'm working out on my own I'll put my ipod on shuffle, and I'm always amazed at what I have that I forgot about. Also, I attend spin classes at other gyms when I can; it helps me get a sense of what others do, and it usually sparks my creativity

Sstoepel
12-05-2012, 10:36 PM
Thank you!! Will do!!!

Kmurmur1
12-08-2012, 06:50 PM
I also ask the members who regularly
ride in my classes for what they'd like
to hear. You'd be amazed at what they
suggest and I will intersperse their
selections into a ride I call "Rider's Choice
with rhythm (their songs) and movement
(my guiding and their choices too).

admin
12-09-2012, 11:13 AM
My problem (once I figured it out) was that I subconsciously reluctant to look for new music because then I would have to pay for the track or spend a bunch of time trying to find it, once I heard something I liked.

Not any longer :)

Now I'm Shazaming new tracks daily and then exploring the artist on Spotify (http://www.indoorcycleinstructor.com/spotify/).

zoepup
12-10-2012, 04:41 PM
I highly recommend Spotify. A few of us on here share our playlists and I always find some good stuff there.

bike4fun
12-10-2012, 05:32 PM
Does anyone know if you can you use the class builder ap with spotify?

hally
12-10-2012, 06:52 PM
Sadly you cannot use Spotify with the class builder app. I believe they are working on it but no luck yet!

I love Spotify and will never go back to iTunes, once you try it you will be hooked.

mromo2813
12-18-2012, 01:08 PM
I use a Youtube to Mp3 website. Google it and you will find it. It's free to use and can take most videos off of YouTube and convert it to an Mp3! It's super easy, too!

Sstoepel
12-28-2012, 09:52 PM
Thanks for the you tube to mp3 transfer! So glad to have the help!

Sstoepel
12-28-2012, 10:07 PM
I am still learning how to use spotify! I really love the playlists that people create. It has showed me some music that I have totally forgot about! Sweet!

rider3
01-21-2013, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the tip! I need music!

andys
01-30-2013, 05:09 PM
I always try to have a theme... the songs or artists are connected somehow. For example I did one called makeup artists (artists who wear threatrical makeup, like kiss, queen, annie lennox etc.) The challenge for the class is to guess the theme. It takes their mind off the pain.

groupfitpower
01-31-2013, 09:16 AM
I always try to have a theme... the songs or artists are connected somehow. For example I did one called makeup artists (artists who wear threatrical makeup, like kiss, queen, annie lennox etc.) The challenge for the class is to guess the theme. It takes their mind off the pain.

Wow. That is a tough one -- did anyone guess it correctly and what was the prize?? :-)

hickeyec
02-08-2013, 10:46 PM
I like using themes. For example, I recently saw a rerun of the SNL skit with Christopher Walken - more cowbell! So, I have a program with all songs with cowbells. You can do the same for piano, harmonica, etc. Or, pick and era like the 60s or 80s. Feb. is Black History Month so I have a program with all African American artists. People always ask what the theme is at the beginning of class and really get into it. Or, I don't tell them and see if they can guess. Take requests on themes. It kinda gets a life of it's own after awhile.

metamorphosis
02-09-2013, 11:04 AM
Themes are nice occasional addition ... if you can pull them off, some Instructors can't I find ... and use them as special rides I think.

I am going to use take inspiration from Daves 'Further in Time' profile as part of a 'Celebration of been Irish' next week in class!

tcycle
06-18-2013, 02:17 PM
Great ideas. I love mashups, too!

aimaro
08-16-2013, 06:21 PM
Agreed - love taking other classes to get music, profile and cueing tips.

clopez.creative
09-15-2013, 09:47 AM
I agree that other peoples playlists are so helpful. During rides, I find myself making mental notes of particular songs other instructors use that I had completely forgot about. I think how far back in time you reach for music depends on the age demographic of your class.