View Full Version : Paul Chek

01-11-2006, 11:00 AM
I really enjoyed his lectures last year and I hope he will be back again this year at WSSC.

01-18-2006, 09:22 AM
I've taken one of his home study courses and he is amazing! He is coming to WSSC in 2006 - what classes did you take last year that you could recommend?

01-18-2006, 09:33 AM
Yes, I'd like to check him out too.

I really like Jeff Krabriel last year and he will be back this year too. Resistance Loading / Cadence Building was a nice class.

01-18-2006, 02:33 PM
I believe it was called Chek Points on Fitness. I only got into one course, a part two of a series. I had never heard of him prior to last year. I see he has several classes this time. He has a very different approach to the fitness lifestyle. I just wish I had the time and motivation do all the things he suggested. I am trying to find one his older videos "flatten your abs forever". I am trying to get my funds together to see if I can make the trek down from Orlando to WSSC this year.

01-18-2006, 04:36 PM

You can find that video on Paul's website.

01-19-2006, 09:21 AM
I'll check it out:D

01-20-2006, 05:56 AM
ha ha. Don't you think Paul is just a little bit ummmm, strange?
I love controversial & opinionated people, and I must credit Paul wih waking me up to core stability, swiss balls etc & a whole new way of working out & coaching, but if you take hin literally, you would have empty classes, & gyms.
Very thought provoking tho..I always go see him if I get chance.

01-22-2006, 12:27 PM
Strange isn't the word.

I was closed out of a couple of the courses I wanted at the ECA conference here in NY last Spring and tried one of his lectures as a default.......dude's a space cadet!!!

Don't get me wrong, he does come out with good ideas (which may be errors on his part, for all I know) but dresses them up in such "dodgy" science and off the wall nonsense that I can't help but wonder if he's the one with the questionable knowledge base or if he's confident that his audience might be.

The particular lecture I sat in on was to do with abs/core stuff but rather than anything you could take home and use on Monday morning, all we got was his opinion that vast numbers of the American population was carrying a heavy parasite load. I can't remember quite how it was linked, but apparently it's his firm opinion (not shared by many, I'll wager) that eliminating sugar from the diet gives these parasites the boot. There's all sorts of good reasons to reduce sucrose consumption (I'm a dentist .....I could list heaps for you before I'd need to grasp at "parasites") so why shoot for something so preposterous??

I think I've got it right.....I sort of stopped listening after the first minute or two, which he spent informing us we'd be hearing stuff that no-one else will tell us.......because "they" don't know about it yet or do know, but are unwilling to admit. And "they" all hate him, of course, because "he tells it like it is". The sort of tub-thumping that often goes with crackpot ideas and general "strangeness"

01-22-2006, 08:08 PM
Not a fan...

My husband, who is a physician, was appalled at his 'scientific' explanations (exactly as Vivienne recounts). They were pretty questionable but we're open-minded and were still anxious to hear what he had to say. However, when he kept harping that doctor's do what they do to patients because someone has to pay for their Mercedes, we decided we had had enough (we drive Prius's, lol!). Expecially since he just got done saying how he could charge hundreds & hundreds of dollars a session for his expertise because he's so good. Maybe we took things personal but we wonder what kind of car he drives?

I like science. I'll take Jennifer Klau's sessions.

01-22-2006, 08:56 PM
If you don't want to take in the public performance ................. I recommend you get his book "How To Eat, Move And Be Healthy!". That way you can read for yourself at your leisure and decide if you want more Chek(s) in your diet.

01-23-2006, 07:54 AM
On the plus side, the other "default" lecture I sat in on was one given by Len Kravitz.....now there's a bloke who could make a convert out of even the most science-phobic. A born teacher and very captivating speaker.

I'm signed up for all of his lectures that don't clash with the Spinning workshops I want at the upcoming ECA conference.

01-23-2006, 08:47 AM
Pink......I'd quite forgotten his anti-doctor diatribes. Were we at the same lecture or is this his format everywhere?

Added to his rants about "them"....i.e. his colleagues such as Kravitz and J.C. Santana who have recognisable academic qualifications...it's enough to make a cynic wonder if he has a chip on his shoulder over his lack of same. What is an Holistic Health Practitioner anyway?? Available at the Univ. USPS?

My husband's also a physician and when I went home to let him in on the sercret that he'd got it all wrong and we're all riddled with "parasites" his reply was "Well, what did you expect?".

Fact is, when I'm parting with my own time and $$$bucks, I expect a bit more than Chek delivered by way of worthwhile information that could ethically be passed on to fitness clients (or my dental patients)

I took the trouble to fill out the course evaluation and expessed my dissatisfaction with the lecture and even stated that it was somewhat irresponsible to be giving space to someone who promoted such crackpot ideas......I mean, I wouldn't be surprised if there were some folks who took home the message that a good number of their clients were full of parasites and ended up making a fools of themselves by repeating it in front of someone who knew better.

Manifestly, my opinion didn't carry much weight.....he's baaaaack this year.

01-25-2006, 05:23 PM

We took his lectures at last year's WSSC. We also voiced our dissatisfaction in our post-conference evaluations. But the man is making a lot of money, so people must be enjoying his sessions. To each his own, I guess. I can just imagine going back to my club and, as you say, start telling everyone that a good colon cleasing will take care of all their problems. And as he suggested, I could even give out complimentary rulers so they could measure their...uummm...well, you know, you were there.

01-26-2006, 08:45 AM
Having started the isn't Paul Chek strange thing...I do enjoy listening to him, mainly beacause I love controversial opinionated folks. I have to credit him with sparking my interest in stability training, swiss ball etc, but you simply need to weed out the garbage & use only what will fit you & your club/lifestyle etc.
If you think he is odd, watch out for the deadeyed acolytes wandering around his workshops, assisting. 'Hi, I'm Chek.' First time I heard it I thought, 'oh, not much of an accent there'...then the penny dropped.
I once sat thru part of one of his performances with a fellow presenter, who was so funny, picking out all his faux pas, and inaccuracies, I thought we were going to get thrown out for giggling & being non believers..like in Eyes Wired Shut..any minute now they will unmask us..

01-26-2006, 03:49 PM
Well, I enjoy listening to controversial, "think outside the box" people too, Britspin, but with this charlaton, there's all the signs in the world that he hasn't a clue what's inside the box to start with. What you end up with then is sillyness, not controversy. I mean.....how can you have a controversial opinion about make-believe???

Have you ever done a workshop with J.C. Santana.....he does the core, stability ball, functional training stuff. And he's witty and entertaining too.....and with recognisable qualifications. However, when I took his class, in contrast to Chek's, I came away with about 4 pages of notes on routines, periodization schedules and whatnot instead of the doodlings I did too amuse myself during Chek's anti-"them" rant.

For me, accurate, reliable information is such an important concept in what's supposed to be an educational forum that I wouldn't part with another dime in Chek's direction 'cos I wouldn't want to be an enabler for his crackpot style.....especially when there are so many who do it at least equally as well.

01-26-2006, 05:54 PM
I feel the need to go and watch him now just for the entertainment value.The only worrying thing is it might make sense to me!!!;)

01-26-2006, 06:21 PM
Rick.....as long as you realise that it's something to worry about if Chek starts to "make sense" then you don't have too much to worry about with a workshop (everyone has to slam their fingers in a drawer at least once to find out it's not a good idea, right?)

01-27-2006, 12:18 PM
Veespin, excellent point, I like the make believe bit, but he does do some good movements on the ball (altho' why anyone wants to stand on a ball & swing another ball around is beyond me..no wait..I may run away to join the circus one day!), and if you cut out the babble & rant one can extract some good stuff, but you do have to wade.
I must see if I can catch the guy you recommend, does he have a website?
Rick, if you come to Fitpro in Loughborough I think Chek is there..we could sit at the back & giggle, meanwhile his website has a good few rants on..it 'THEM' you know..wink..wink.

01-27-2006, 03:10 PM
J.C. Santana has a training facility in Boca Raton in Florida and the website is www.ihpfit.com (http://www.ihpfit.com) (Insitute for Human Performance). I think his particular "thing" is wrestling...Greco-Roman, not the Jackie Palo stuff.

Len Kravitz is an exercise physiologist from the Univ. New Mexico and also runs what sounds like a metabolic/obesity unit there. His website is www.drlenkravitz.com (http://www.drlenkravitz.com). A great resource.

01-28-2006, 06:14 AM
Thanks Vee...thats another few hours of staring at a monitor for me then! Kravitz I know & enjoy reading & learning..the other guy, I shall explore...soon.

01-28-2006, 04:18 PM
Rick.....as long as you realise that it's something to worry about if Chek starts to "make sense" )

Thanks for the warning but I look worry in the face and laugh from the bottom of my transverse abdominus.For I am a super hero,looked upto by small people the world over.I look deep inside my soul every day and ask questions of myself that many others would run from with fear in their eyes.I battle evil,I help the weak and I watch Big Brother...did you see that sweet Chantelle win last night wasn't it lovely that someone so real could triumph over adversity like that...maybe she's another super hero.....I've had a long week,I'm going to bed.:eek:

01-29-2006, 06:31 AM
OK Britspin.....if you enjoy Kravitz, I've got another web site for you....this is a BIG one. If you do a Google on Masters Athletes Physiology and Performance (just like that) the first site to come up should be the MAPP....a really cool exercise physiology site put together by a guy called Stephen Seiler. Sorry I can't do an easy link..it doesn't have a catchy .com address.

Seiler is an American PhD exercise physiology now based in Norway and I have images of him putting this whole thing together as an alternative boozing his way through those long dark northern winters. It sure looks like a mammoth undertaking.

01-29-2006, 07:28 AM
Thanks again Vee..are you dtermined to stop me ever leaving mt house again?
Rick, I think it may be that it would be more scary if you start to make sense....

01-29-2006, 09:44 AM
My pleasure, Britspin. I'd thought something to keep you indoors during them long Brummie winters'd be a plus.

Vivienne......been in the US for 20 years now but I'm originally from Nuneaton....the Pearl of The Midlands!!

01-29-2006, 11:04 AM
Keith,the day I start to make sense...well we might as well put a closed sign on planet earth and go somewhere else!!!ROTFLMAO:D