PDA

View Full Version : RPM Format

williska
11-05-2012, 12:37 PM
I am a new RPM instructor and I am just curious, do most of you teach the set RPM class time of 50(ish) minutes, or do you modify it to be an hour long? I know that there is an hour long format where you add an extra track 3 and 6?

gym_rat
11-06-2012, 07:27 AM
I always teach the 60 min format, but I am fortunate that my RPM classes do not have another class after them. Because adding the two additional tracks does make the class go right to 60 mins. if not a bit over. So it would be difficult if I had another class waiting to come in.. I personally find the 45 min class (standard class) to short. I have had many riders comment to me, that they prefer my class because of the extra tracks.

williska
11-06-2012, 02:39 PM
Thanks for your response gym_rat. I think it would be too short as well.

gym_rat
02-25-2013, 12:45 PM
I have always taught the 60 min format, the 45 just seems too short. If you use some of the tracks for older releases for your extra 2 tracks, you can get the class a few mins under 60, which for me is a must. I do have another class coming in after me so I have to try to allow a few mins for people to get out and come in. Lots of the older RPM releases have shorter tracks, so I just try and be mindful of my playlist time.

Newmie
07-03-2013, 07:12 PM
HI there! I have been an RPM instructor for two years. I have a hard time as well so I usually try to add extra songs depending on the how much time I have after I have my playlist (tracks 1-9) done. There are combos of music where you can add an extra hill, interval or both.

Dionisios
07-20-2013, 09:16 PM
I sometimes double up on the intervals, hills, etc. during the ride, in order to stretch the class to 60 minutes. You have to put in a little extra prep time to make sure that it "flows", but it's no biggie.

Newmie
07-28-2013, 01:14 PM
I taught it for the first time today and based on the response from my class, well, I didn't need to worry that this release was only 48 minutes. People were beat. Have you taught it yet? Thoughts?

gym_rat
07-30-2013, 04:49 AM
I have not taught 59 yet, and not real excited about it.. The music is less than steller IMO. How did your class feel about the release?

rideon
08-21-2014, 10:48 PM
1 hr format

laurasantos
08-24-2014, 09:42 PM
Was about to begin teaching the 60 minute format, but I hated the music on 59, and was lucky to have been out on vacation when we launched it at my gym. I never taught it! I got bored with the inflexible format and the music. Combined with the shorter class, and lower calorie burn that I experienced, I finally gave up teaching RPM.

jessdhorne
08-25-2014, 03:28 PM
Is this the way of teaching that matches the RPMs of a song to the speed of a ride and it is kind of a prefab ride? I have only done profiles from watching others and I have used ideas from the veteran cycle instructors and my own music. How long is the class? We do have one 45 minute class at our gym but the rest are 1 hour.

shaggybuck
04-20-2018, 08:37 PM
Good question, I would like to hear the answer.