PDA

View Full Version : Presses on handle bars

Ipedalalot
07-30-2012, 02:33 PM
My certification comes from Fit Tour. Their material says a person can perform "rhythm presses" while remaining seated or standing. They are not stating to do a "full push-up", just enough to tense the anterior deltoids, pec and triceps. Can someone explain why not to perform this type of exercise? I saw on this forum people posting not to do them because you don't gain anything. Would love to have lots of input on this subject.

Todd S
07-30-2012, 04:28 PM
I prefer to tense my anterior deltoids, pecs, and triceps practicing my posing routine.

InnerDrive
07-30-2012, 05:06 PM
Mainly because you're getting a) a less effective "push-up" and b) a less effective cycling workout -- essentially by combining the two, you diminish the benefits of each exercise done properly.

Try doing a real pushup, and compare how it feels to doing a "rhythm press" on the bike - which feels like you're getting a better workout for those anterior deltoids, pecs, and triceps? Now, try pushing yourself as hard as you can on the bike when in proper seated or standing position, and compare that to how hard you can push yourself while doing a "rhythm press" - which technique allows you to work harder?

Plus, there's the risk of hands slipping off the bars and smashing your face on the handlebars....

Ipedalalot
07-30-2012, 08:36 PM
Gotcha. Thanks for your input. So minus, smashing your face on the handlebars, a full pushup would definitely increase the intensity, increase HR and increase upper body strength, challenge neuromuscular connections by performing the pushups while maintaining appropriate position and cadence. Good idea or not? Or is it coming down to the old basic rule, if someone doesn't have the strength or coordination, don't do it?

melboney
07-30-2012, 10:11 PM
You wouldn't do pushups on the road while riding a bicycle, you do them on the floor. Keep your classes real and only teach moves that you would do on the road while riding a bicycle outside. Take a few rides around Warrensburg or along the Katy Trail and then translate those outdoor rides into your indoor class formats. You have some great rides around your river bluff town that make for some great classes. Creating a solid profile that simulates an outdoor ride is what your students want when they can't ride outside because it's 1000+ degrees and 95% humidity.

Indoor Cycling Association or ICI/PRO are great organizations to invest in when starting to teach. This forum is also a great tool. Try typing in "contraindicated" or "pushups" into the search bar and see what find. Funhog, aka Jennifer Sage, has written some published articles on these 2 topics that you can find via Google.

W (http://www.indoorcyclingassociation.com/)elcome to Pedal-On.

Vivienne
07-31-2012, 04:38 AM
And there's looking like a idiot. Don't forget that.......

Vivienne

InnerDrive
07-31-2012, 05:03 AM
Gotcha. Thanks for your input. So minus, smashing your face on the handlebars, a full pushup would definitely increase the intensity, increase HR and increase upper body strength, challenge neuromuscular connections by performing the pushups while maintaining appropriate position and cadence. Good idea or not? Or is it coming down to the old basic rule, if someone doesn't have the strength or coordination, don't do it?

I think you missed my point. Doing a pushup against a bike handlebar does NOT increase upper body strength OR increase intensity. Doing a pushup on the floor builds upper body strength, but doing it on a bike handlebar while pedaling is at best ineffective and a complete waste of time, and at worst dangerous. It only gives the ILLUSION of working on upper body strength. To simulate doing pushups on a bike, try sitting at your chair and doing pushups against your desk or table. You could do that all day long - couldn't you? It's doing nothing to increase your upper body strength. You just can't get enough resistance in that position for pushups to be worth anything. As for intensity, you can much more effectively increase your heartrate (i.e., intensity) by adding resistance and/or increasing cadence (within reason) - i.e., by RIDING HARD than you can by doing pushups on the bike. There is no way for you to ride as hard as you can, and really push your heartrate up, while doing pushups on the bike. So - to summarize, it's best to separate the two. If you want to work on upper body strength, do pushups or lift weights using the proper tools and proper techniques OFF the bike. If you want a high intensity cardiovascular workout and/or to improve your cycling-specific fitness, ride an indoor bike the way it's meant to be ridden (i.e., not as a pushup stand) - Ride hard, get your heartrate up, and burn more calories. Pushups on the bike will decrease the number of calories you burn, because there's really no way you can ride as you can hard while doing them. So, my vote is - bad idea..... :p

Vivienne
07-31-2012, 06:56 AM
I think you missed my point. ...

... So, my vote is - bad idea..... :p

Methinks you're expending a lot of energy in providing serious and worthwhile answers to a question that's not-too-serious or worthwhile in the first place.

No one with any gumption could possible mistake the intensity of a full push up with what you can achieve on a bike. A full push up looks and feels like a full push up ........ so WhereTF do you put your feet if you're using the handlebars for your hands for a *full push-up*. HELLO......that would be not on the pedals!

Read that first sentence again...

See what I mean??

Vivienne

P.S. .... I see that the 5 post minimum has been reached with these questions, BTW....... so it'll be dead easy to check up on my skepticism before too long

Ipedalalot
07-31-2012, 07:59 AM
You wouldn't do pushups on the road while riding a bicycle, you do them on the floor. Keep your classes real and only teach moves that you would do on the road while riding a bicycle outside. Take a few rides around Warrensburg or along the Katy Trail and then translate those outdoor rides into your indoor class formats. You have some great rides around your river bluff town that make for some great classes. Creating a solid profile that simulates an outdoor ride is what your students want when they can't ride outside because it's 1000+ degrees and 95% humidity.

Indoor Cycling Association or ICI/PRO are great organizations to invest in when starting to teach. This forum is also a great tool. Try typing in "contraindicated" or "pushups" into the search bar and see what find. Funhog, aka Jennifer Sage, has written some published articles on these 2 topics that you can find via Google.
Welcome to Pedal-On.

Thank you so much for your appropriate constructive comments. This will be very beneficial to me and my students. It is mature and professional people like you that I was hoping to hear from. Have a fantastic day! :)

Ipedalalot
07-31-2012, 08:26 AM
I think you missed my point. Doing a pushup against a bike handlebar does NOT increase upper body strength OR increase intensity. Doing a pushup on the floor builds upper body strength, but doing it on a bike handlebar while pedaling is at best ineffective and a complete waste of time, and at worst dangerous. It only gives the ILLUSION of working on upper body strength. To simulate doing pushups on a bike, try sitting at your chair and doing pushups against your desk or table. You could do that all day long - couldn't you? It's doing nothing to increase your upper body strength. You just can't get enough resistance in that position for pushups to be worth anything. As for intensity, you can much more effectively increase your heartrate (i.e., intensity) by adding resistance and/or increasing cadence (within reason) - i.e., by RIDING HARD than you can by doing pushups on the bike. There is no way for you to ride as hard as you can, and really push your heartrate up, while doing pushups on the bike. So - to summarize, it's best to separate the two. If you want to work on upper body strength, do pushups or lift weights using the proper tools and proper techniques OFF the bike. If you want a high intensity cardiovascular workout and/or to improve your cycling-specific fitness, ride an indoor bike the way it's meant to be ridden (i.e., not as a pushup stand) - Ride hard, get your heartrate up, and burn more calories. Pushups on the bike will decrease the number of calories you burn, because there's really no way you can ride as you can hard while doing them. So, my vote is - bad idea..... :p

No I didn't miss your point. I just know that more body parts in motion does increase oxygen consumption there by increasing caloric burn. The strength thing probably not so much because your either in an incline position while being seated or approximately less than half of body wt while standing. So I was looking at getting more bang for the buck. No problem, I hear you. Thanks for your time.

InnerDrive
07-31-2012, 09:48 AM
Got it! :) But just to be clear (and at the risk of beating a dead horse...), at least in this case, moving more body parts won't result in increased caloric burn because you can't come near the same intensity on the bike while doing pushups as you can while riding hard in proper position - so really, you aren't getting more bang for your buck - in fact, you're probably getting less bang for your buck....

It's good you're asking these questions and trying to understand what's effective! Good luck!

aimaro
08-16-2013, 06:33 PM
I disagree with these rhythm presses/push-ups/using weights on a bike. I like to tell participants that their body has a finite amount of energy at any given moment and if they put more effort into their upper body it decreases the amount of effort that they can put into their legs. I don't spin to work on my upper body strength!

taxladyjt
08-17-2013, 08:53 PM
I agree. I tell my class that cycling is done with their core and legs.

admin
08-18-2013, 12:57 PM
Life Time fitness has added a few of these types of classes and they are very popular. I've had the chance to talk with members who really like this format, in large part because they enjoy all the extra movement. They're not under any delusion that they'll develop strength from these little presses - its just fun for them :)

Dsk101867
03-30-2014, 08:06 PM
Not a big fan ..... seated pushups kinda hard on a guys 'area' if ya know what I mean. And of course you would never see someone out on a 'real' bike doing that kind of stuff ......