PDA

View Full Version : Free Style

yumipon
06-30-2012, 07:35 AM
Yesterday, one of the members came to me and said that he took a class from the instructor who had justed replaced another instructor. According to him, she sets her seat very low keeping handle bar high so that her back is straight. She told everybody that nobody would have back problem riding this way. Also, she had suggested that everbody to keep resistance under "7" on M3, but pedal as fast as they could. He went on and said that the class was tougher than the other instructor who was telling everybody to set their gear at "24" regardless their age or fitness level.

He said I should try her class and see what I think of her. Why would I waste my time and take the class like that..... riding like chimpanzee in circus (I haven't seen one in circus, but I assume that's how they would look.). Poor members! Just imagine the entire class is riding their bikes like that. They must look funny.

The problem is the person in charge of some locations do not teach cycle class and have no idea. So, everybody does whatever she or he comes up with and nobody says anything. This should be controled.

Vivienne
06-30-2012, 09:09 AM
Yesterday, one of the members came to me and said that he took a class from the instructor who had justed replaced another instructor. According to him, she sets her seat very low keeping handle bar high so that her back is straight. She told everybody that nobody would have back problem riding this way. Also, she had suggested that everbody to keep resistance under "7" on M3, but pedal as fast as they could. He went on and said that the class was tougher than the other instructor who was telling everybody to set their gear at "24" regardless their age or fitness level.

He said I should try her class and see what I think of her. Why would I waste my time and take the class like that..... .

Well, WRT pedalling at "24" at high cadence.....this is what I told my members we were working hard for (back when I was coaching the Fitness Elite on the Keisers at my old gig...Efharisto ! )

Try it for yourself, though. See how daft it is (whatever the saddle height) and remember one of my fave links for anyone it might apply to.......http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare

EuroD
07-01-2012, 04:36 PM
OK - I would suggest you get off the bike and SPRINT as fast as you can out the room.

I have M3s at my club.

Firstly, a gear of 7 is light to - ooh I feel a little something but not sure what.
Secondly, I CANNOT TURN THE PEDALS AT GEAR 24 AS THERE ARE ONLY 25 GEARS ON THE BIKE!!!!

This instructor, IMHO is full of something that cannot be naturally expelled by the body.

No instructor, again, IMHO should be telling anyone what gear they need to be in for the following reasons -
1. They do not know this person intimately
2. They have NO IDEA what this person did before entering the class
2. They have NO IDEA if this person has any injuries
4. They have NO IDEA if this person is on a physio-therapy plan
5. They have NO IDEA if this person just completed a major ride (century, criterium, etc)

Do I really need to go on...... for goodness sake people, stop giving out numbers and think about increasing the ability of your participants to improve!!!

groupfitpower
07-03-2012, 11:07 AM
OK - I would suggest you get off the bike and SPRINT as fast as you can out the room.

I have M3s at my club.

Firstly, a gear of 7 is light to - ooh I feel a little something but not sure what.
Secondly, I CANNOT TURN THE PEDALS AT GEAR 24 AS THERE ARE ONLY 25 GEARS ON THE BIKE!!!!

This instructor, IMHO is full of something that cannot be naturally expelled by the body.

No instructor, again, IMHO should be telling anyone what gear they need to be in for the following reasons -
5. They have NO IDEA if this person just completed a major ride (century, criterium, etc)

Do I really need to go on...... for goodness sake people, stop giving out numbers and think about increasing the ability of your participants to improve!!!

preach.

**need a smiley that nods here.**

yumipon
07-03-2012, 06:35 PM

I have M3s at my club.

I'm glad that I have this forum to share my frustration. We've never seem to run out of people who are totally ignorant. Students are confused because of someone like her tells them differently. But, for members, it is just another STYLE??? of teaching. I like to call this instructor with all kinds of names, but I just keep my mouth shut and do my own thing....... but it really bothers me!!!

Vivienne
07-05-2012, 01:12 AM
I'm glad that I have this forum to share my frustration. We've never seem to run out of people who are totally ignorant. Students are confused because of someone like her tells them differently. But, for members, it is just another STYLE??? of teaching. I like to call this instructor with all kinds of names, but I just keep my mouth shut and do my own thing....... but it really bothers me!!!

If members are confused or maybe even think they should be given a specific gear or resistance to ride with, just point out that a group cycle class is like every other group exercise class......a mix of different strengths, fitness levels etc. Just like it wouldn't be appropriate for an instructor to give a specific weight for bicep curls, say, in a group strength class or to expect everyone to bang out 20 push-ups on their toes......prescribing a specific gear is just as daft. I would imagine that if you use this example or something similar the members should realise for themselves that no one gear is going to be right for everyone

Vivienne