PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Lara balls - great energy boost

dgillie
06-05-2012, 07:38 AM
Instead of gels and gu's, here's a great "real" food alternative for the mid ride energy boost.

In food processor:

1 c. (160g) dried, unsweetened cherries (optional)
1/4 c. (40g) dried, unsweetened dates
1/3 c. warm water
1 c. (120g) almonds, walnuts or your choice nut
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. vanilla
1 scoop protein powder
dash salt
Press into pan or roll into balls. Store in frig.
My kids love them and so do I. Great natural source for energy.

Vivienne
06-05-2012, 07:53 AM
Instead of gels and gu's, here's a great "real" food alternative for the mid ride energy boost.

In food processor:

1 c. (160g) dried, unsweetened cherries (optional)
1/4 c. (40g) dried, unsweetened dates
1/3 c. warm water
1 c. (120g) almonds, walnuts or your choice nut
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. vanilla
1 scoop protein powder
dash salt
Press into pan or roll into balls. Store in frig.
My kids love them and so do I. Great natural source for energy.

Problem with these "real" food alternatives is that, as nutritious as they seem, you have ingredients there (the dried cherries and dates) that are going to stick to the teeth for a good amount of time.....in a way that the gels etc. don't..... and contibute mightily to the potential for tooth decay as much as anything you'd term "candy"

Vivienne

dgillie
06-05-2012, 08:58 AM
Thanks for that bit! Good info. Never thought about the teeth thing before.

Todd S
06-05-2012, 09:35 AM
In comparison, my recipe for "Todd Balls" doesn't sound so appetizing.

melboney
06-05-2012, 12:49 PM
Problem with these "real" food alternatives is that, as nutritious as they seem, you have ingredients there (the dried cherries and dates) that are going to stick to the teeth for a good amount of time.....in a way that the gels etc. don't..... and contibute mightily to the potential for tooth decay as much as anything you'd term "candy"

I never thought of that. I use the gels and gu's because the fiber and protein in bars and trail mix slow down GI absorption of glucose.

I love bars like these as a pre-/ post- snack. Would xylitol chewing gum help reduce the risk for dental carries or should I just continue to be obsessive about carrying a toothbrush?

melboney
06-05-2012, 12:51 PM

Is your recipe anything like
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnNYXgV7L-c

Vivienne
06-05-2012, 01:20 PM
I love bars like these as a pre-/ post- snack. Would xylitol chewing gum help reduce the risk for dental carries or should I just continue to be obsessive about carrying a toothbrush?

First off, there's nothing at all obsessive about carrying a toothbrush with you. Well, I don't think so......but then, I would say that. However, all you're doing with a toothbrush is getting teeth "clean"

When it comes to putting fermentable carbohydrates into your mouth (and especially having them linger because they're stuck to your teeth) what you're doing is facilitating a shift in the homeostasis of the oral biota (those hundreds of different colonies of bacteria living and thriving in your gob) from"health" to "disease". Not necessarily *bad* bacteria but colonies that can thrive in an acid environment and cause tooth decay.

Xylitol chewing gum contains wood alcohol *sugars* that can't be fermented by oral bacteria. In a way that makes it beneficial as you get a stimulated saliva production that can help neutralise the acid produced by these acid loving bacteria. I don't think you can consider it a perfect antidote to anything sticky that clings to the teeth.

Todd S
06-05-2012, 03:05 PM
Is your recipe anything like
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnNYXgV7L-c

Good climbing song.

Vivienne
06-05-2012, 03:34 PM
Good climbing song.

Perfick for flossing also

groupfitpower
06-06-2012, 11:56 AM
K, well I'll make them and love them and remember good oral hygiene after.

Never ceases to amaze me where these conversations will turn. Amazing. :-)

Thanks for the recipe!!

spinneridol
06-10-2012, 07:37 PM

Todd,

You made me laugh out loud so hard I actually thought I had broke a rib or pulled an abdominal muscle. I am finding that I find you hysterically funny yet I don't like you a lot right now....ouch..........ouch.....................hurt s to breathe........::::::))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) ))))))))))))

megmarsh
07-09-2012, 07:54 PM
These sound delicious! Thanks for posting.

stefaniemclaughlin
08-22-2012, 08:29 AM
yum, will try today! thank you for posting!