PDA

View Full Version : This will top people using iPod in the class

yumipon
05-27-2012, 09:19 PM
I need to share this with you guys. I had this wonderful lady taking my cycle class for the first time asking a lots question regarding setting up the bike before the class. Once class has started, I see her grabbing her bag from the floor. What she does next is unbelievable. She takes a book out of her purse and started to read. I was in shock and didn't say anything. She remained seated, she could hear what I was saying compare to iPod users for safety issues, and obviously, she was not bothering anybody other than myself.

She stayed for the entire class reading her book just like she would on the stationary bike set next to weight machines in the gym. She thanked me for the class and left. I was speachless, but if I see her next time I need to say something. But, I'm not sure if I should say anything because it is her right to be there and it is up to her to pay attention to what we do. Our cycle room is set like stadium and she was in plain view. Should I say something? Or, shall I just let it go? I asked our coordinator, but she did not reply. I guess she did not want to comment. Anybody?

ScrappyMG
05-27-2012, 10:59 PM
I agree that she has a right to be there, and if safety isn't and issue, I would approach her ask her if she is ok or has any questions. If she is okay and has no questions, I guess just let her ride. ...but that is definitely one of the unique situations i have heard about. good luck!

melboney
05-27-2012, 11:48 PM
That is bizarre. I don't understand how people can focus on anything else besides the task at hand when working out. I guess you don't say anything to her...

CycleGuy
05-28-2012, 12:33 AM
The difficulty with something like this is whether her expectations are being met. Why is she there? Could she better accomplish her goal by putting the book down and focusing on the workout? What are her goals?

It seems to me as I look around facilities that so many people are under the illusion that by sitting/standing on a piece of equipment and having it do some movement that they are melting away the pounds, burning gazillions of calories. Then when it doesn't happen, they blame the exercise (or, as in another thread, their metabolism).

Realistic expectations lead to realistic results.

Amanda Felts
05-28-2012, 07:56 AM
I would politely tell her that she can use the bikes in the gym for her desired ride. She is taking the spot of someone who might actually like to participate in the class and that's not fair to them.

melboney
05-28-2012, 11:56 AM
It seems to me as I look around facilities that so many people are under the illusion that by sitting/standing on a piece of equipment and having it do some movement that they are melting away the pounds, burning gazillions of calories. Then when it doesn't happen, they blame the exercise (or, as in another thread, their metabolism).

That is a brilliant point. I often hear people say "I spend 2 hours a day 5 days a week at the gym and I'm just not seeing results." Then I watch them walk in the door
stop to talk with friends (10 min; 10kcals)
go to the locker room (10 min:10 kcals)
stand next to a cardio machine texting (10 min; 10 kcals)
get on the elliptical/stationary bike and continue texting or reading a book (40 min; 200 kcals [but the machine will read 500 kcals burned])
get off the equipment go back to the locker room (10 min; 10 kcals)
go stand in line for yoga class text/talk with others (10 min; 10 kcals)
yoga class (50 min; 150 kcals)
For a total kcal burn of 400 kcals but said individual will think that they have burned 1000 calories and then go consume about 1000 kcals.

I doubt that she will come back to yumipon's class. It seems like trying to read in a cycle class would be irritating; loud music, sweaty grunting people, dark-ish room, fans blowing, and loud motivational ques from awesome instructor. However, if she does return, I think you might want to ask her CycleGuy's questions and go from there.

EuroD
05-28-2012, 12:26 PM
I suppose my view would be to politely let her know that this a GROUP EXERCISE class and that it is the custom for participants to be engaged in their training session with the instructor and everyone else.

What would bother me is that there could be others in the class who may want to do the same thing because it becomes extrinsic as opposed to intrinsic - taking your mind off what you are doing with something else rather than acknowledging the effort and making it work for you. You may have inadvertantly opened the door for others to do the same thing and if you don't challenge this woman now, you won't have any recourse if others mimic.

USARIDER09
06-03-2012, 08:08 PM
For some odd reason(s), some members think nothing about using their ipods, making/taking a phone call, texting on the slide, blatantly pulling out their news paper, flipping pages between recovery periods and/or "doing their own thing". I can understand the mind of a two year old child, but adults doing these things?

I spend the necessary time selecting music etc. for those who are interested in my coaching skills as they reach their fitness goals. Period. I'm nobody's baby sitter when I go to work. Unlike before, I use to wait, and wait, and wait for a turning point that never happened. Saying the "rules" over the mic before you begin so all can acknowledge, helps keeps drama out of your session. Even that, you may come across one or two.. who is deviant. Don't get me wrong... repeat and keep it professional and if he/she has an issue with the "rules", let them take their issue to a higher authority. :rolleyes:

Yes.. happy to be fit. How you'll doing?

yumipon
06-04-2012, 11:20 PM
I just came back from WSSC (SPINNING) in Miami, and taught cycle class tonight. I was all prepared to tell this lady what was due the last time. But, she was not there. She may be sitting in the swimming pool and continue reading her book. In any case, if she should show up, I'll make sure that she gets the message. Instead, I had a couple of people continue chatting when the class started. I lower the music and told them to stop talking and save the air for work out, and SMILED!!:)

yumipon
06-04-2012, 11:22 PM
The difficulty with something like this is whether her expectations are being met. Why is she there? Could she better accomplish her goal by putting the book down and focusing on the workout? What are her goals?

Oh, yah. I bet she was planning to bring a bag to potato chips and coke while she is sitting on the bike and reading her favorit book????

Vivienne
06-05-2012, 04:32 AM
I just came back from WSSC (SPINNING) in Miami, and taught cycle class tonight. I was all prepared to tell this lady what was due the last time. But, she was not there. She may be sitting in the swimming pool and continue reading her book. In any case, if she should show up, I'll make sure that she gets the message. Instead, I had a couple of people continue chatting when the class started. I lower the music and told them to stop talking and save the air for work out, and SMILED!!:)

I had a bet with myself that she probably wouldn't turn up to class again........not least because Beginner's Butt is a bit of a turn-off, even when folk do come along with a bit of commitment to trying. There are comfier pieces of sit down exercise equipment to read your book on.

Vivienne

yumipon
06-05-2012, 08:34 AM
I had a bet with myself that she probably wouldn't turn up to class again........not least because Beginner's Butt is a bit of a turn-off, even when folk do come along with a bit of commitment to trying. There are comfier pieces of sit down exercise equipment to read your book on.

Vivienne

Right! Not mentioning the room was too dark for her reading.

yumipon
06-12-2012, 08:43 AM
She came back! This time, she advanced a bit and had Kindle. I said, "Are you reading a book?" She replied, "Yeeees?" like can't you see what I'm doing. I asked her to leave the room if she wants to read. Then, I annouced to everybody that if you are planning on doing something other than cycle, they need to leave the room. I did not speak in this manner, but I am sure that it did not sound as polite as I was expected. Anyway, she put down her book and stayed there for a while. I'm glad that I saw her and being able to say something. Otherwise, I may end up having a whole bunch of people coming for picnic.

Vivienne
06-12-2012, 11:09 AM
Well, thank gawd I had a bet with myself......I won and lost so broke even.

Like they say.....ya can't make this $h!te up.

Vivienne

Vivienne
06-12-2012, 11:22 AM
OK so let me make another bet.

Tomorrow is my *2nd Quarter* o-FISH-awl Race Day Ride. During the first week of January, I announced that I was designating 2012 The Year Of The Athlete.....what with it being the Olympics and my Diamond Jubilee b-day year. I've been doing a quasi-periodisation class plan over about 10-12 weeks and did my Velodrome Race Day Ride in late March to cap off the 1st Q. In spite of a patchy attendance after the first weeks of the New Year Resolutionary period, I had an almost full class for Race Day (complete with 2 or 3 newbies who came the designated 5 minutes late, etc. etc.)

Now that the weather is getting nice, my numbers are dropping even lower. I'll wager, though, that tomorrow's class will once again be fuller than usual with more novices at one time than I've ever had before.

Vivienne

yumipon
06-15-2012, 04:20 PM
OK so let me make another bet.

Tomorrow is my *2nd Quarter* o-FISH-awl Race Day Ride. During the first week of January, I announced that I was designating 2012 The Year Of The Athlete.....what with it being the Olympics and my Diamond Jubilee b-day year. I've been doing a quasi-periodisation class plan over about 10-12 weeks and did my Velodrome Race Day Ride in late March to cap off the 1st Q. In spite of a patchy attendance after the first weeks of the New Year Resolutionary period, I had an almost full class for Race Day (complete with 2 or 3 newbies who came the designated 5 minutes late, etc. etc.)

Now that the weather is getting nice, my numbers are dropping even lower. I'll wager, though, that tomorrow's class will once again be fuller than usual with more novices at one time than I've ever had before.

Vivienne

So, how did you do? I'm curious how you set up your ride though this is going off from the title of this thread. It was indoor, wasn't it?

cahill_es
02-04-2013, 09:18 AM
Save the air for the workout. I love that and am going to use it. I've got a couple of "talkers" in class that I've been perplexed with. I've used subtle cues such as mentioning the "talk" test to gauge their effort, i.e. if you can get more than a couple of words out than it's time to pick up the effort. That usually quiets them down.

Funny story that dates me a little bit. Last week, I mentioned that those two reminded me of the two grumpy guys that sat up on the balcony on the Muppet Show. We're friendly enough that I knew I could get away with it and not cause any embarrassment. I could tell from facial expressions around the room that some of the younger riders had no idea what I was talking about. But for the riders from my generation that grew up on the Muppet Show, we all got a good laugh. Including my two talkers...!

Vivienne
02-04-2013, 09:43 AM
I've got a couple of "talkers" in class that I've been perplexed with. I've used subtle cues such as mentioning the "talk" test to gauge their effort, i.e. if you can get more than a couple of words out than it's time to pick up the effort. That usually quiets them down.

Well, what I've found is that, by the time we're actually down to doing the business, the folk who're still chatting are impervious to any cues, clues, hints or (h)insults I might care to hurl their way.

We have a sort of fitness challenge going on at on of my gigs right now, whereby participants get to earn a point for attending a group ex. class. I don't quite know what the *point* is for.....or what the point actually is.....but on first blush it looks like a good marketing idea for group ex. classes. Except that I've started to get a handful of folk who're just there for the point......except they don't get it. The Point, that is!! It's manifested itself with a few brand new to IDC members who're pals with existing class participants and who seem to think that, say, "80% of success is just showing up" or that "anything is better than nothing"......and, as a consequence, chat away with their chums without regard to whether or not they're providing a distraction for those who're there to actually make a difference in their health and fitness.

I don't really want to have to start acting like a kindergarten teacher and instilling Good Listening Skills to actual grown-ups but at the same time, I don't want my regular crew to feel that their class enjoyment is being compromised by a handful of temporary visitors and drive-by's who aren't going to return once the fitness challenge is up.

I tend to agree with them

Vivienne

yumipon
02-06-2013, 09:35 AM
Well, what I've found is that, by the time we're actually down to doing the business, the folk who're still chatting are impervious to any cues, clues, hints or (h)insults I might care to hurl their way.

We have a sort of fitness challenge going on at on of my gigs right now, whereby participants get to earn a point for attending a group ex. class. I don't quite know what the *point* is for.....or what the point actually is.....but on first blush it looks like a good marketing idea for group ex. classes. Except that I've started to get a handful of folk who're just there for the point......except they don't get it. The Point, that is!! It's manifested itself with a few brand new to IDC members who're pals with existing class participants and who seem to think that, say, "80% of success is just showing up" or that "anything is better than nothing"......and, as a consequence, chat away with their chums without regard to whether or not they're providing a distraction for those who're there to actually make a difference in their health and fitness.

I don't really want to have to start acting like a kindergarten teacher and instilling Good Listening Skills to actual grown-ups but at the same time, I don't want my regular crew to feel that their class enjoyment is being compromised by a handful of temporary visitors and drive-by's who aren't going to return once the fitness challenge is up.

I tend to agree with them

Vivienne

I sure would not want those people in my class... being there for the "point". It is bad for the majority of the people who are there to work out. It is bad enough to have those people who chat all the time though their intentions of being there are somehow, "to be fit", but you have another group of people who are there for the "point'. And, you cannot even tell them to leave the room. I hope the program failed so that your marketing department stop sending people who have no itention to exercise. http://www.pedal-on.com/images/icons/icon13.png

Vivienne
02-06-2013, 10:43 AM
I sure would not want those people in my class... being there for the "point". It is bad for the majority of the people who are there to work out. It is bad enough to have those people who chat all the time though their intentions of being there are somehow, "to be fit", but you have another group of people who are there for the "point'. And, you cannot even tell them to leave the room. I hope the program failed so that your marketing department stop sending people who have no itention to exercise. http://www.pedal-on.com/images/icons/icon13.png

I actually approve of providing incentives for folk to work out......and to expose them to group ex. if they've never tried it before. In fact, at one of my old gigs where class attendance was low, I even suggested something similar. Everyone has to start somewhere but it just goes to show that every good idea can have unintended consequences. I'm guess I'm always a bit surprised at what looks like incongruous behaviour to me.......i.e. stuff I'd never dream of doing. If I was new to a class, I'd keep a low profile and try to rub along with what everyone seemed to be doing. If there appeared to be an element of focus, well I'd suck it up and if it wasn't what I wanted, I'd not return.

That's what the cardio floor is for, right.....for folk who want to do their own thing their own way to their own music. We've got plenty of space for that.....and you get the points there as well.

Vivienne

admin
02-06-2013, 04:21 PM
I'm a frequent sub for a class that includes a women who's there every time with her iPad. She sits bolt upright in the back corner, one hand holding the tablet and the other continuously poking at it. The glow from it lights up her face like a ghost, when I turn the lights down for a video.

Completely clueless to how stupid she looks.

hickeyec
02-08-2013, 10:39 PM
I haven't had anyone come to class reading a book. But, I have had people come and ride their own ride and ignore what the instructor is saying. That becomes even more distracting if the person is sprinting while everyone else in climbing. I'm not sure why you'd come to a group cycling class to do your own thing.

Paul S.
02-09-2013, 05:40 PM
I had a young man in my class last week who wore headphones and did his own thing - pedaling slowly, stopping (not to do anything on his phone, just stopping), sometimes even going backward. He had this look of indifference on his face that I can't describe. He was way off to one side, not really a distraction to anyone, the class was nowhere near full, the club doesn't have an explicit policy against headphones, so I wasn't in a position to say anything. After maybe 20 minutes he left, not wiping down his bike, though he couldn't have broken a sweat. Ten minutes later he came back in. took a different bike in the back and did more of the same for another 10 minutes. The club lets members use the bikes on their own when there's no class. It seems they think it's OK to do their own thing even when there is one.

yumipon
02-17-2013, 10:35 PM
I had a young man in my class last week who wore headphones and did his own thing - pedaling slowly, stopping (not to do anything on his phone, just stopping), sometimes even going backward. He had this look of indifference on his face that I can't describe. He was way off to one side, not really a distraction to anyone, the class was nowhere near full, the club doesn't have an explicit policy against headphones, so I wasn't in a position to say anything. After maybe 20 minutes he left, not wiping down his bike, though he couldn't have broken a sweat. Ten minutes later he came back in. took a different bike in the back and did more of the same for another 10 minutes. The club lets members use the bikes on their own when there's no class. It seems they think it's OK to do their own thing even when there is one.
Gee.... that would really bother me. It is strange that your club does not have some rules. I am sure that this person distracted everybody else. I don't know if I could keep my mouth shut.