PDA

View Full Version : Do you have your own transmitter?

Jack24Ren
03-13-2012, 05:34 PM
Wasn't sure where to post this but since I teach at LAF and LAFs are Keiser facilities, I decided to try here first.

I bought my own Shure mic (WH20) a few years ago and it's definitely been worth it. Too many times the club mic is broken/missing/inconsistent. Lately my own mic seems to be "popping" or "crackling" when I plug it into the club's transmitter. Note here the club's transmitter is also at fault sometimes (I tried my headset in the another transmitter in the aerobics room and it's better, though a bit spotty). I called Shure and they will do a repair/replace for a flat fee of $55 on the mic. I am contemplating this since it's been 3 years and a new one is $~80.

I am toying with the idea of buying the transmitter too. I only teach 2-3 classes a week but if I had a few bucks for every time the transmitter was broken/missing and I had to scream to teach to a full class...I might have enough to pay for a transmitter. Of course, I don't want to spend $100 if LAF suddenly upgrades all their stereos and gets new equipment (how likely is this?).

Most other instructors I know don't have their own stuff. If anything, they have their own headset/mic, not transmitter.

Todd S
03-13-2012, 06:45 PM
I used to use the Shure mics. Bad thing is, a drop of sweat and they're toast. Another bad thing, the mics aren't generally compatable with other transmitters. Good thing is, they have (or at least had) a good warranty. If my mic was at all questionable and the warranty was close to being up, I made sure I sent it in and they always replaced the mic with no hassle. Problems almost always occur with the mics. Not the transmitter. At least that's been my experience.

Jack24Ren
03-14-2012, 03:25 AM
Thanks Todd. Yep, of course, mine is out of warranty. So maybe instead of spending $55 to fix an out-of-warranty mic, I should spend $80, get a new one, and send it in every year of the warranty to get it replaced! :)