PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Hamstring & Knee Pain on Keiser M3

Cyclegirl
08-17-2011, 07:26 AM
Our facility is considering the Keiser M3 so I have been to another gym for the last several weeks riding the Keiser. Initially I thought they were the greatest things ever. Unfortunately I find that I cannot get the set up correct and am consequently having hamstring and knee pain. I have very long legs and when I get my seat set up the handlebars and either too low or too far away. I am really stretched out when set up so I tried to bring my seat forward a bit and then I have knee pain. I have been teaching for over 10 years and have never had this problem before.

Also I was wondering if anyone else has a problem finding the right "gear" when out of the saddle? I seem to have to add an unusual amount of gear to find a smooth pedal stroke out of the saddle but then it is almost too heavy to maintain.

Thanks for any comments or helpful hints you could pass on. I am just worried that our members will also have some of these issues and I don't want to get them injured.

Shannan:cool:

EuroD
08-17-2011, 12:12 PM
Shannan, were you bike fitted by the instructor at the facility or are you doing it yourself? You may want an instructor to have a look to see if adjustments can be made.

One thing to keep in mind as well is that the new M3s will have fore/aft on the handlebars, so you may want to take that piece of information to your club.

Cyclegirl
08-17-2011, 04:49 PM
At first I set myself up but since then I have had two other instructors set me up as well. They aren't happy with the way they set me up either.:(

I contacted Precision about the fore/aft position on the handlebars and their response was,

"We are currently working on updating the
handle bars but do not have a date when those will be in production.
I do know that we will be selling retro fit kits when they do come
out. This means that you can purchase a bike now and if you fit on
our current bike then you don't need to retro fit, however, if you
are slightly uncomfortable on our current model you will be able to
retro fit once the kits come out."

Shannan

EuroD
08-18-2011, 12:10 PM
Yep, that's the response from Precision.

OK, so I have to ask what was the process of your bike setup? Did they use a plumb line to make sure that your knee was in line with the ball of your foot, which is in line with the crank arm. Did either of them use a goniometer to measure the angle from your hip to your knee and then knee to ankle bone. If not, maybe you need to get that specific to your setup.

I do this with all new people to my class. When we go our Keisers I went through bike setup with everyone as we were all new to the bikes.

Spinningmoe
09-24-2011, 05:15 PM
Are you riding the same bike every time? If you are, it could be that specific bike. I rode a keiser bike today that had incredibly tight tension. The other bikes are not like that.

Cyclegirl
09-26-2011, 05:47 AM
Unfortunately I have been on many different bikes. The bike seems to work particularly well for short legged long bodied people. I am the exact opposite. Hopefully with the new handlebars they are showing this will rectify the problem. I am keeping my fingers crossed.:o

Vivienne
09-26-2011, 07:25 AM
Unfortunately I have been on many different bikes. The bike seems to work particularly well for short legged long bodied people. I am the exact opposite. Hopefully with the new handlebars they are showing this will rectify the problem. I am keeping my fingers crossed.:o

Interesting you should say this, Cyclegirl. I'd assumed that a longer legged person might find the Keiser set up a bit easier than I did.......and fully expected my daughter to confirm this when she took one of my classes at my old Keiser gig during a visit in the Spring. She's also an IDC instructor with a much more impressive track record in riding a real bike than I have, BTW. She's also a hair over 6'. I'm a hair over 5'5". If we sit together on the piano stool, we look like Mommy and Baby from behind......top of her head barely reaches above my ears. When we stand up the point of her hip reaches my waist-line (I guesstimate a 35" inseam) Just giving you info to see how you both correspond.

Like you, with the saddle adjusted for appropriate and biomechanically sound position WRT the pedals, the handlebars for her were a bit lower than she was used to in an IDC class (she wasn't even trying to compare with her bikes' set-ups) Adjusting the height had her so parked out that, for her, the disadvantages were enough to outweigh the advantages of everything I'd been enthusing about WRT the power feedback etc.

One other thing that bothered her was the Q-factor thingie......the pedals on the Keisers being further apart than on "regular" bikes. Have you wondered whether this might be your issue?

For me, as much as I've been griping about the Keiser handlebars etc., I think this new geometry will address all of my complaints but I think the pedal width is something of an inevitability with the magnetic resistance of the Keisers vs. the brake pad set-up of the other models and it's worth consideration.

Vivienne

Cyclegirl
10-17-2011, 06:02 AM
Hi Vivienne,

I have wondered about the Q-factor thingie and think that might be a factor in my knee pain. I am hoping the adjustable handlebars will address the entire issue. Until then I will just keep to riding our old Spinners. :D

Shannan