PDA

View Full Version : Use of Projector

gottoshopalot
08-05-2011, 11:47 AM
We just transitioned to a new space at one of the gyms I work at. We have been using the Keiser bike for about a year and a half. It seems like no one has a good grasp on how and what to use the projector for. We have one DVD that offer virtual rides. I was thinking of downloading some youtube videos (One Perfect Sunrise by Oritbal is the first that comes to mind) but it seems like a lot of work coordinating the videos with my mixed music. Can anyone give my some helpful suggestions?

CycleGuy
08-05-2011, 10:48 PM
Virtual ride DVDs are very popular and certainly the easiest to manage. They don't appeal to everyone however.

It sounds like a lot of work to coordinate YouTube clips with your mixed music. What I used to do was take my music list/profile and get the video version of each song. Some of the video versions were slightly longer/shorter than the music version so I modified the profile a bit to accommodate. Then I learned that licensing for music does not cover licensing for videos (at least in Canada). So back to virtual ride DVDs with either their music or alternative music.

Other suggestions:

Use photos and create a slideshow/montage
Do an inspiration ride and put up quotes. I did this using one of Jennifer Sage's presentations - 30 minutes of inspirational/motivational quotes (60 of them) that displayed for 30 seconds each, with the slide show running through twice during the profile

cvcali
08-07-2011, 10:57 AM
Soon there will be an app for the iPhone/iPod Touch that indoor cycle instructors use to build their classes. What is cool is that this app builds an effort profile based on the instructors plan for the class. this profile is projectable right from the iPhone... So an instructor can play their music and project simultaneously. Moreover there is a moving line that shows just where in the profile the instructor is. It adds a great visual to the riders. I believe it is called Class Builder. it was just recently submitted to Apple (I think) and would well worth it on more fronts than just projection when it hits the market. Until then I've some success with slide shows. Sometimes I use indoor cycle photos. Other times photos of the various tours... I even do a slide show of the album covers for the music I'm using that day. Hope this helps.

ldmueller
08-08-2011, 04:06 PM
In Jan I partnered with a colleague to open a cycling studio in Sausalito - cyclingfusionmarin.com and we use keiser bikes as well as a projector and screen. We have used our screen successfully is a variety of ways.

We ran a 12 week internet based live broadcast by Cycling Fusion called Winter Training. Last year was the test year and as any program in the early stages, it was not without its kinks. That said, all 22 of our participants walked away very happy and many of them reported lifetime bests in their events that followed. This program allowed us to hold video classes with some of the best cycling coaches in the country including Jennifer Sage, Tom Scotto, Sally Edwards and Gene Nacey. For clubs that want to include programs for competitive cyclists who ride outside, this program rocks!

We have used our screen for virtual rides as well. Global Ride has DVD series in Hawaii, Italy, France and Spain is coming soon. Our Virtual rides sell out! We have run the virtuals with with the coaching that comes on the DVD, with only the music on the DVD along with my live coaching and with my own playlist and coaching. My students seem to love it no matter what we do. It does take some planning to make a playlist match the terrain/events of the video and I tend to be a perfectionist about it. It seems that my students don't seem to notice the music as much because there is so much more going on during a virtual. I could likely spend half the time planning an no one would notice.

We have also had an opportunity to test the App that cvcali mentioned, yes it is called Class Builder and it will be available soon. We used it on our i-touch. I believe it will project with the i-phone 4, the i-touch and the ipad. The 3GS does not have the ability to work with a projector but you can still use the app to build your classes.

There are so many ways that an instructor can be creative with a projector and given the upcoming tools that Cycling Fusion is creating, it will only get easier and more fun! I love the idea of using inspirational quotes! Especially for a special new years ride. I'm gonna do that! I hope this helped!

ldmueller

gottoshopalot
08-09-2011, 05:59 AM
All good feedback. Pictures and quotes are a great idea (I have those inspirational quotes too I think). I'm realizing that my computer is extremely antiquated and I don't even know if I can burn a DVD . I tried using a DVD+RW blank disc and it wasn't recognized.

We have one DVD for virtual rides so I will slowly try all these suggestions.

Thank you.

tking
08-09-2011, 09:42 AM
I have a class composed mostly of cyclists. Recently I downloaded from Youtube 21 clips from Tour De France 2011 plus one clip I call "out takes". Each clip is the highlights of the particular stage, that is stages 1 - 21. I then imported the clips into my movie making software and ended up with 4 DVDs, approx. 3.75 hours of content. I plan to show these DVDs during my next 4 classes. Making the DVDs takes time, the right software and a computer with the horsepower to do so. Regardless, the DVDs are a big hit in the classes.

CycleGuy
08-09-2011, 09:55 AM
All good feedback. Pictures and quotes are a great idea (I have those inspirational quotes too I think). I'm realizing that my computer is extremely antiquated and I don't even know if I can burn a DVD . I tried using a DVD+RW blank disc and it wasn't recognized.

We have one DVD for virtual rides so I will slowly try all these suggestions.

Thank you.

Might need DVD-R

EuroD
08-09-2011, 03:48 PM
Yep, you do need DVD-R; others don't work. Also make sure that you can successfully run the home created DVD on your system. I created a short 45 minute one before I went all out and did the epic create. I do these for special rides as it does take many, many hours to put it all together.

gottoshopalot
09-06-2011, 09:30 AM
I created my first DVD ride comprised of videos and YES it took hours to do. I used DVDvideosoft.com Is there a faster software anyone knows of? (not for Mac)

Spook
10-25-2011, 04:14 PM
At InSync Cycle we have two mounted TV monitors. I leave it up to each of the instructors to use them or not. We have a selection of DVDs - outdoor tour races, BMX stuff, Ocean scenes and others. Many of the riders really like them and some don't. We can also hook a computer up to them.

eckman914
10-30-2011, 12:27 PM
You may want to take a look at either the Sufferfest (http://www.thesufferfest.com)videos or Epic rides (http://www.epicplanet.tv/). The Sufferfest ones are very well put together and are geared for indoor workouts. Epic rides are more focused on creating an outdoor experience indoors.

Funhog
10-30-2011, 01:43 PM
If you don't already have it, download Epic Rides Toolkit for teaching virtual rides. It's very informative and gives you everything you need to know to teach an effective virtual ride.
Also sign up for their Virtual Rides studio - it's free and they'll give more tips, updates and discounts on DVDs.