PDA

View Full Version : Virtual DVD rides

Blackdog
07-24-2011, 10:46 AM
Maybe you can help me understand why an instructor would want to use these rides in a class setting. I already had a general manager at a club asking me if I knew of any good DVD rides. He stated that if the instructor was absent, students could insert DVD and still get a class. My thought is who needs instructors then! Could become a new norm, DVD classes, no instructors to pay for.

In another vein, I find very annoying all of the information displaying on the screen. I would like to just have the scenery, that makes you feel like you are actually riding the road. I dont need a screen full of information telling me what do do. Maybe I am missing the whole concept here.

I make simple DVDs of TDF racing from the low quality YouTube video downloads. Some pixelation when projected onto a giant projector, but many students like this to inspire them. However, I had a student ask me to turn it off because it makes her sick to watch it (probably a motion sickness prone person). To appease her, I did remove the display, but told her the rest of the class may not agree with her request. She rides in the first row, very close to the screen. I told her she needs to sit back from the screen more, but she wants to ride in the front because it is generally agreed no fans are up there. Many disagreements result between fan users and no fan users, so we kind of agree that the front of the room gets no fans. But since this request, I now am afraid she may request no videos all the time. Other instructors display vacation photos, album art etc (very boring to me). I prefer cycling videos.

So I ask for information. Maybe I do not understand how to use these virtual rides and what would you do to handle the memeber request to stop showing a dvd during class?

admin
07-25-2011, 07:13 AM
Maybe you can help me understand why an instructor would want to use these rides in a class setting. I already had a general manager at a club asking me if I knew of any good DVD rides. He stated that if the instructor was absent, students could insert DVD and still get a class. My thought is who needs instructors then! Could become a new norm, DVD classes, no instructors to pay for.

In another vein, I find very annoying all of the information displaying on the screen. I would like to just have the scenery, that makes you feel like you are actually riding the road. I dont need a screen full of information telling me what do do. Maybe I am missing the whole concept here.

I make simple DVDs of TDF racing from the low quality YouTube video downloads. Some pixelation when projected onto a giant projector, but many students like this to inspire them. However, I had a student ask me to turn it off because it makes her sick to watch it (probably a motion sickness prone person). To appease her, I did remove the display, but told her the rest of the class may not agree with her request. She rides in the first row, very close to the screen. I told her she needs to sit back from the screen more, but she wants to ride in the front because it is generally agreed no fans are up there. Many disagreements result between fan users and no fan users, so we kind of agree that the front of the room gets no fans. But since this request, I now am afraid she may request no videos all the time. Other instructors display vacation photos, album art etc (very boring to me). I prefer cycling videos.

So I ask for information. Maybe I do not understand how to use these virtual rides and what would you do to handle the memeber request to stop showing a dvd during class?

Blackdog virtual rides are designed to enhance your class, not replace it. Bike-O-Vision (http://www.bestindoorcyclingdvds.com/bikeovision)videos would be perfect for you as they are only scenery. My experience is that poor quality video can create complaints as does too much action, especially for someone sitting very close to the screen. Also - videos shot with a lot of helmet or bike mounted cameras can cause motion sickness.

zoepup
07-25-2011, 12:47 PM
Exactly! I use them to enhance a class. Maybe 2 a year at most. I have heard the motion sickness thing as well. Maybe I should post a sign before class like the big amusement rides have (pregnant, prone to motion sickness, schizo, etc)...

Blackdog
07-25-2011, 01:59 PM
I dont use helmet cam shots or bumpy shots. But regular tv quality steady clips. I think the person is just sitting too close to the screen. She wont move because she does not want any fans on her. I have to respect members requests, but this is a problem that will occur when ever she comes to class I'm sure. I either insist she moves back from the first row (she wont unless I turn all fans off - but I have members requesting fans on high) or stay and dont look at screen. Just wondering how others would handle.

I understand the DVD rides are to enhance the class, not replace, but that managers statement go me thinking. What if...

I will check out Bike-o-Vision as scenery is desired without screen displays.

I do use the TDF clips to enhance and inspire and play them without any audio so I can play my ride CD music. Members have told me repeatedly they enjoy them... until this request. I've used them before for a year and this member finally spoke up. So now I can expect her to request no DVD all the time. She does not always show up for my classes so it may be few and far between.

princessarmstrong
07-25-2011, 02:47 PM
Hey Blackdog: I too make my own videos. One thing that I have learned is that you don't have to have the road moving all of the time. You can use pictures mixed with video. Having a beautiful scenery photo is really ok. You can pan it and it is still interesting. Luckily I have a lot of my own footage, and I agree with you I like to coach my own ride. PA

Blackdog
07-26-2011, 11:15 AM
Princessarmstrong,

I think you nudged me to create the best solution. I have only one DVD that has still shots and it is a short segment used during the warmup. But I need to create several ride length DVDs with all still shots. That way, when I see that member come to class, I pull one of those out and play. Everyone can be satisfied. Great idea.

I just do not have any pictures or footage of my own. I will just have to start searching and accumulate cycling/scenery images and give it a go. I prefer film of moving cyclists and not still shots, but I now know this is my solution. Thanks for the reminder to using this type of video.

I just cringe at the thought of displaying album art or personal non-cycling vacation photos like some instructors do. So this is a great idea I must do. That is the best way to handle this situation without having to shut the entire video off. Thanks again.

princessarmstrong
07-26-2011, 12:01 PM
Hey Blackdog. You can take stills of your moving video. Even the road ahead as a still will work.

Blackdog
07-27-2011, 10:50 AM
Princessarmstrong,

Great idea, I'll explore this with my MovieMaker software. Thanks,

liveon2wheels
07-29-2011, 03:14 AM
Just an idea for those experimenting with Virtual Cycling. Take a look at Epic Planet, Global Ride, Endurance Films or even The Open Road series from Troy Jacobson for examples of more current offerings in this category. It's incredible how many different ways one can produce these training tools - and that's what they are when used correctly, excellent training tools. Good luck!

ghawkins
11-02-2011, 08:22 AM
Ride Fit (www.ride-fit.com) offers downloadable virtual ride videos currently licensed for individual use. These videos come with narration, a minimal digital dashboard with training information (effort level, target cadence and resistance), plus an elevation profile that includes a progress indicator. The videos are available with and without a music track.

If instructors would like versions tailored for class use, perhaps including just the digital dashboard, so they can play their own music and provide verbal instruction and motivation, we would be happy to expand our product offering. Please contact us through www.ride-fit.com to discuss requirements and availability.

Vivienne
11-19-2011, 06:50 AM
Just an idea for those experimenting with Virtual Cycling. Take a look at Epic Planet, Global Ride, Endurance Films or even The Open Road series from Troy Jacobson for examples of more current offerings in this category. It's incredible how many different ways one can produce these training tools - and that's what they are when used correctly, excellent training tools. Good luck!

Bumping this thread.

I think that, if I'd been reading from the beginning, I would've felt a bit the same as Blackdog WRT virtual rides. Not no more.

I purchased some Global Ride DVDs at the ICI/PRO conference for my own use and have only just cracked them open now that I've had the velo on the trainer for a few weeks (skidded on some damp leaves......there goes my confidence for another year!) I've just started riding to Gene's Dirty Dozen DVD with the coaching and what I assume is the class builder grade guide(?)

There's my post-Turkey Day ride right there. Don't have facilities for a virtual ride but the idea is so great....although I'm going to have to think plan and buy a load of Pittsburg bands music......I think I'm going to be able to put something together that'll look plausibly my "own" and a bit more right brain and "fun" than I usually manage.

Great product Gene!

Vivienne