PDA

View Full Version : Anyone from Pittsburgh area?

Funhog
02-22-2011, 09:03 PM
I have 2 Pittsburgh requests!

One of my students is going there for a family event tomorrow and asked me if I "knew any good instructors or clubs who teach like you do" (i.e. no psycho spin).

Can anyone refer me to some good instructors? Kala, you teach at a University right? Is it just for students?

Also, I am going to the Pittsburgh area the last weekend of March to do some filming for Cycling Fusion (http://www.indoorcyclingcertification.com/cyclingfusion). We want to film the sessions with a live class so I will be extending an invitation to instructors (or anyone really) who want to come be a part of the class.

It will be like going to a free Master Class, and you'll be on a video!

Funhog
02-23-2011, 10:21 PM
Yes, I do teach at a university, but it's about an hour outside of Pittsburgh. It's supposed to be limited to those within the university, but usually I can have "visitors" sometimes!

And I know you know about Gene in Lower Burrell which is relatively close to the 'burgh.

Inside Pittsburgh I know of an instructor that taught at ClubOne which is in Shadyside on Penn Avenue... And someone else here (I forget who now...) teaches at Gold's Gym in Market Square (aka middle of downtown.)

And I will definitely be in contact about the end of March! I'd love to meet you! :)

Yes, Gene is who will be doing the filming for Cycling Fusion.
I can't wait to see you at that event - i will keep you posted!
Gene told me about Club One, said it's one of the nicer ones but couldn't vouch for any instructors. If you can find that names of the good ones that would be great!

Or maybe I'll let her go to a psycho spin class, in which case she'll come back even more committed to "keeping it real"! :D

penswin77
03-12-2011, 01:29 PM
Hey there! I'm from Pittsburgh and the Golds Gym Market Square one! :)

Please have your friend hit me up and I would be more than happy to help out with locating a good IC class. (I tend to think that my class is spectacular but I'm a bit prejudice - haha - I'm kidding).

I have heard dreadful things about the Urban Active IC classes. However, Andy is an instructor there now and I know that he is good and "keeps it real".

Jennifer I'm VERY INTERESTED in being a part of the Cycling Fusion taping. I'll shoot you an email!

liveon2wheels
03-14-2011, 05:14 AM
Hey Everyone!

We have only 15 bikes currently in our filming studio, so anyone who wants to ride with Jennifer and I next weekend (3-25-11) please reserve a bike: http://clients.mindbodyonline.com/ws.asp?studioid=3190&stype=-7 (http://www.indoorcyclingcertification.com/cyclingfusion). This spring we will be looking for a larger facility closer to the down town area and with two side by side filming studios to help with room turnover during live events. We will have more bikes then too, but for now - it is limited to 15.

It's FREE! However, you have to reserve a bike. Jennifer will be leading 3 different level classes (Intermediate, Beginner & Advanced in that order), but you can sign up for more than one if you like.

I'm hoping to meet lots of Pedal-On friends that night! We are also going to be broadcasting the FINAL class (60 min Advanced class) LIVE - more details will be forthcoming.

yvonne
03-15-2011, 10:42 AM
Not sure if this helps because i don't know the geography at all, but Curt Gsell has a studio in Greensburg.

... and he has KRANKcycles there too! He runs a fantastic Fusion program.

Y.

penswin77
03-18-2011, 08:42 PM
See, I was unsure of Urban, only because of the instructor that I know - he is a little "eek" inducing... so I wasn't sure on whether to trust his judgement. Good to know there is someone else who knows what's up! :)

And, hopefully I'll see you at the filming!

I'll be there! Just registered for all three classes. Really fired up about riding with Jennifer. I even gave up my Pens tickets for the night (Jennifer.....that's serious stuff). :)

Funhog
03-19-2011, 11:06 AM
I'll be there! Just registered for all three classes. Really fired up about riding with Jennifer. I even gave up my Pens tickets for the night (Jennifer.....that's serious stuff). :)

WOW! I am impressed! So excited to have all of you come. Should be fun. I'll be practicing all week!

penswin77
03-21-2011, 07:54 PM
So I signed up for all three classes and have no idea where the studio is. I went to the website and can't find the address anywhere. Any help?

Thanks!

Funhog
03-21-2011, 08:22 PM
Here is a link to the location
http://www.globalride.org/Site/Location.html (http://www.indoorcyclingcertification.com/cyclingfusion)

penswin77
03-21-2011, 08:32 PM
Here is a link to the location
http://www.globalride.org/Site/Location.html (http://www.indoorcyclingcertification.com/cyclingfusion)

THANKS! See you Friday!

liveon2wheels
03-22-2011, 03:05 PM
You gave up PENS tickets!?! WOW!!! Can I have them :D:D:D

penswin77
03-25-2011, 08:33 AM
Registered awhile ago for myself, just got my friend Kim registered - waitlist for the 2nd ride-- if need be, I'll let her ride in my spot!

Can't wait!

There may be space available now. I was bringing someone who just cancelled.

penswin77
03-25-2011, 08:34 AM
You gave up PENS tickets!?! WOW!!! Can I have them :D:D:D

Haha - SURE! Next time. I have season tix and I really want to be there so I thought :rolleyes: WWJD? What Would Jennifer Do? Hahahaha.

CycleGuy
03-25-2011, 11:31 PM
So for those that attended...how was it? Problems on the live feed for the Triple Bypass, but it was great to watch - especially when Jennifer made everyone start all over again ;)

sharimiranda
03-26-2011, 12:25 AM
Yes, yes, tell us about it! I got an e-mail about the live feed problems, but then I didn't get to watch anyway bc my kid came home from school feeling sick. :(

Wish I coulda been there!

Funhog
03-26-2011, 08:41 PM
I'm not going to lie, when she said we were starting over I was smiling on the outside, but I was swearing on the inside! :p Only because we had done two rides previous to that one!

You and me both!! I had a split second of thinking I could "fake" my way through that playlist, and then thought, "no way, I'd have to wing it way too much!"

I think we had a thread here not too long ago about "never let them see you sweat" when you make a mistake! :rolleyes:

The good news (IMO) is that the second start was MUCH better energy than the first. Probably because the butterflies were all gone by then!

veranda
03-27-2011, 08:21 AM
It was a great ride to watch. Thanks for giving us who couldn't attend that opportunity. The coaching and visuals were fantastic. Jennifer's form was so flawless.

I noticed that the ride didn't give cues regarding PE or HR parameters. I was wondering whether one of the goals was that everyone works at their own intensity.

Thanks!

jdck9
03-27-2011, 08:30 AM
So for those that attended...how was it? Problems on the live feed for the Triple Bypass, but it was great to watch - especially when Jennifer made everyone start all over again ;)
CycleGuy it was incredible! I did all 3 rides, and to start over again was just more of a challenge! Jennifer was wonderful person to meet and to ride with, decided to take the day off today, I didn't yesterday, and my legs are still feeling it! :D

Funhog
03-27-2011, 09:21 AM
It was a great ride to watch. Thanks for giving us who couldn't attend that opportunity. The coaching and visuals were fantastic. Jennifer's form was so flawless.

I noticed that the ride didn't give cues regarding PE or HR parameters. I was wondering whether one of the goals was that everyone works at their own intensity.

Thanks!

Thank you Veranda.

The previous two rides I had just done focused a lot more on intensity.
But for this particular ride, a specific HR wasn't really an objective, except in that the fact that it is three long climbs and as such it is self limiting in terms of HR - ya simply cannot go too hard if you expect to finish the climbs - both indoors or in real life! So depending on your own desires and ability, yes, you would go at your own intensity. I think I mentioned that at the beginning....but in all honesty, I was a little nervous so maybe I didn't.... :o

PedalFaster
03-27-2011, 09:29 AM
....but in all honesty, I was a little nervous so maybe I didn't.... :o

It's good to know that even the pros still get nervous! It was a fun ride to watch and I enjoyed it! Thanks Funhog!

Funhog
03-27-2011, 11:56 AM
It's good to know that even the pros still get nervous! It was a fun ride to watch and I enjoyed it! Thanks Funhog!

Getting videoed, and being live on the internet, adds another HUGE level of nervousness! But, I was more relaxed with each one I did. Um, that is, until I put on the wrong playlist! :rolleyes:

veranda
03-27-2011, 05:53 PM
Thank you Veranda.

The previous two rides I had just done focused a lot more on intensity.
But for this particular ride, a specific HR wasn't really an objective, except in that the fact that it is three long climbs and as such it is self limiting in terms of HR - ya simply cannot go too hard if you expect to finish the climbs - both indoors or in real life! So depending on your own desires and ability, yes, you would go at your own intensity. I think I mentioned that at the beginning....but in all honesty, I was a little nervous so maybe I didn't.... :o

It makes sense. You need to gauge the intensity based on the ride's premise. I just wanted to steal some PE cues from you so I could use them in my class:D

Maybe you did mention that goal, while I was enjoying my second glass of wine;)

PedalFaster
03-27-2011, 06:12 PM
...while I was enjoying my second glass of wine;)

I was doing the same thing! :)

PedalFaster
03-27-2011, 06:59 PM
I was wishing my water bottle was filled with wine! No, I kid. It was an amazing night and truly an honor to be able to ride with Jennifer and everyone who was there! :) Things rarely seem to come out Pittsburgh way, so it was an opportunity I had to capitalize on!

Kala, any pics to post?

Funhog
03-27-2011, 11:30 PM
It makes sense. You need to gauge the intensity based on the ride's premise. I just wanted to steal some PE cues from you so I could use them in my class:D

Maybe you did mention that goal, while I was enjoying my second glass of wine;)

This morning, while hanging out at Gene's, before I headed to the airport, I got to watch online the Over/Under Intervals class I led on Saturday. (This one wasn't part of the free live feed Cycling Fusion was offering, but part of the discounted Winter Training). I took notes for myself as I watched on how to improve. I was happy with the ride for the most part (except, dang, I need to smile more! :rolleyes:), but I realize that when you are doing a video, there is an entirely new element to consider - people watching who might not know me from Eve, people who have ever taken a class with me, or know anything about me or what or how I teach and what my cues mean. Sometimes we are so used to saying what we say and how we say it, that we forget if we're in a new environment that we can't make assumptions. So I have to dot my "i's" and cross my "t's" a little better for video. Your comment above makes me realize that I could have done that a little better regarding the intensity parameters for the Triple Bypass ride. So I appreciate immensely that you brought it up. I can "assume" that people know what I mean by "it's a series of three 15-min climbs" which to me (and many seasoned riders) means that you have to pay attention to your own intensity and stay below threshold....but what if they really do NOT know? I need to not make assumptions.

It's sort of similar for conference sessions, except that at conferences, usually we can assume instructors know a leeeetle bit more than the average student (or, we hope so!)

That's a good tip for you guys as well, if you're in a situation where you usually have the same people in class, and you make assumptions that everyone knows what you mean (by your intensity or resistance cues).... but what if you have a newer person in class? You can't make assumptions anymore! You have to assume they do NOT know what you mean!

I can't wait to do this again, because now that i have a few under my belt, I'll know a lot more for next time and I won't have that first-time jitters....hopefully. (Hint hint, this isn't going to be the last time!) ;)

By the way, I'm having a glass of wine in your honor as I write this! I just flew in from Pittsburgh to Denver, and my flight to Vail was canceled (mechanical) so they put me up at a hotel and I'm sitting in the bar catching up on email, and of course, Pedal-On! Cheers!

liveon2wheels
03-28-2011, 02:01 AM
I just flew in from Pittsburgh to Denver, and my flight to Vail was canceled (mechanical) so they put me up at a hotel and I'm sitting in the bar catching up on email, and of course, Pedal-On! Cheers! That's what I love about you Jennifer - your passion for Indoor Cycling keeps you always connecting and sharing your insights. We have had 11 fantastic weekends of Winter Training, and I'm so happy your weekend was added to this series. Thanks again!

Funhog
03-28-2011, 07:34 AM
That's what I love about you Jennifer - your passion for Indoor Cycling keeps you always connecting and sharing your insights. We have had 11 fantastic weekends of Winter Training, and I'm so happy your weekend was added to this series. Thanks again!

Thanks Gene. If it was any other day I'd have been pretty bummed about a canceled flight....but Monday is my "weekend" with no classes, clients or appointments so I was OK with it because I could just "veg". But now I'm off to the airport yet again...

This weekend was fantastic!

veranda
03-28-2011, 11:43 AM
Sometimes we are so used to saying what we say and how we say it, that we forget if we're in a new environment that we can't make assumptions. So I have to dot my "i's" and cross my "t's" a little better for video. Your comment above makes me realize that I could have done that a little better regarding the intensity parameters for the Triple Bypass ride. So I appreciate immensely that you brought it up. I can "assume" that people know what I mean by "it's a series of three 15-min climbs" which to me (and many seasoned riders) means that you have to pay attention to your own intensity and stay below threshold....but what if they really do NOT know? I need to not make assumptions.

That's a good tip for you guys as well, if you're in a situation where you usually have the same people in class, and you make assumptions that everyone knows what you mean (by your intensity or resistance cues).... but what if you have a newer person in class? You can't make assumptions anymore! You have to assume they do NOT know what you mean!

I have a whole new spinning vocabulary thanks to your ride. I really loved the visuals you provided and your cuing. My comment came from very selfish reasons i.e. how to cue intensity for my class differently. I am kind of sick and tired using my same old PE shtick:rolleyes: But I am glad if it helped make your next ride better:o.

In so many ways it comes down to how you package a ride and saying the same thing in a different way, makes a ride looks fresh and exciting. Thus I found your ride as such and totally got your point about watching your own intensity if you wanna survive 3x15 min hills.

BTW loved that fact that there was no yelling and you could only hear your firm and confident voice. Now how do I do that:)

Funhog
03-28-2011, 11:52 AM
BTW loved that fact that there was no yelling and you could only hear your firm and confident voice. Now how do I do that:)

Speak firmly and confidently! ;)

kelwend
03-28-2011, 01:34 PM
Yes that is a big problem when we always have the same group of people, they finish by knowing exatcly what you mean and what you want from them; so we become a little lazy and use minimum cueing ...

In half of my classes, I often have new one's and now with the fusion ride where I teach to IDC and Kranking (tuff when I have new one's on the Krank, as Krank is really more technical) I have to adapt and it is not easy ... that is why I have accept to sub again since a month to make me work more, so I have to change and adapt my cueing but also my playlist ...

I have done a really great ride this morning but with people to whom I do not really have to give to much cue, they are there to work, know what it mean and are not fitness junkie (crazy pace), I would like to do the same tomorrow but I would have to change, to adapt, ...

When I was watching your live broadcast it is what I was thinking ... this classe is great BUT for a specific population. That is certainly what you ask when you start this thread.
I remember riding 2 years ago one of your ride a challenging climb and on both my right and left side I had crazy fitness junkie totelly not at theyr place.

Last week I was waiting for my Hot Yoga classe and the manager told me that a member had take one of my cycling classe, she told her that the classe was inspirating as a Yoga classe ... she was totelly suprise and did not trust her, I invite her this morning classe in my classe; after the classe she appologyed about her wrong perception of IDC and really thank for the ride.

So this is unfortunatly what most people don't know about IDC and training. For most it is just go go go ... a shame ... a reason why so many people never reach theyr goals.

liveon2wheels
03-29-2011, 04:04 AM
The KEY is having a good mic and sound system. It still AMAZES me that so many clubs have neither (or at least no one that knows how to use it correctly), and you end up with instructors with no mics who can only be heard by the front row, or the mics are garbled - and it's not just "turn the music down" - it's getting both levels right.

If we get that right, we can indeed deliver a more powerful cue with more emotion, and more clarity without straining our voices. We need to make technology work FOR us, not against us. It's not easy, but it is worth the effort.

liveon2wheels
03-29-2011, 04:11 AM
When I was watching your live broadcast it is what I was thinking ... this classe is great BUT for a specific population. That is certainly what you ask when you start this thread.
I remember riding 2 years ago one of your ride a challenging climb and on both my right and left side I had crazy fitness junkie totelly not at theyr place...

So this is unfortunatly what most people don't know about IDC and training. For most it is just go go go ... a shame ... a reason why so many people never reach theyr goals.
This is KEY to what Cycling Fusion is trying to do with IDC. We want to provide plenty of examples of Level Specific Classes so that management as well as the instructor population at large can see the advantages. Our indoor program has this as a foundational principle. By having Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced classes, we can create a long term view, of long term education and training. Instructors are given so much more flexibility to help each level grow, and classes or rider workshops that can more accurately meet the needs of their students or riders.

It's not the way it's always been done, but that doesn't mean it won't work. :)