Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Watts with Keiser M3

1. Default Watts with Keiser M3

I started teaching in a brand new beautiful YMCA that opened its doors this April and we are very lucky there to have a room full of 40 brand new M3 bikes.

I taught somewhere else in the past with spinning bikes that have the red knob for resistance and having that little screen on the M3s is a very nice feature.

On the other hand, like 85% of the members who come to the classes are new to indoor cycling and the screen confuses the heck out of them.

I tried to explain different zones where they should be at based on how much difficulty levels they feel and to adjust accordingly but they are lost.

I tried to teach with the watts during first week of April but decided to drop it since they had no clue what i was saying.

Today, a new summer schedule began and i decided to give the Watts another chance.

I asked them to sprint as much as possible for 10 secs then look at their watts and that this would be their 100%. Then, I would ask them during class to go at different % of that after and to play with the RPM and gear to affect the watts.

So just came back from class. I saw many confused faces and got some feedback that my new music is not as good as the old one. This kind of sucks specially that I spent a lot of time yesterday preparing the new music for the new class.

I also had new members today that were chatty Kathys as some of ou guys call them, mic problems and overall, class did not go too well.

So any suggestions for the watts?

By the way, I asked the members and none of the other instructors in this gym use watts to teach.

I must say though that for the members who have been coming regularly to my class, there is a big noticeable difference in their strength and ability to climb and sprint now so it makes me feel great to see this difference.

Now time to work on the music for a new class that is on the new schedule that begins tomorrow at 6:45 am. Hope i can wake up on time

Moot

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    I started teaching in a brand new beautiful YMCA that opened its doors this April and we are very lucky there to have a room full of 40 brand new M3 bikes.

I taught somewhere else in the past with spinning bikes that have the red knob for resistance and having that little screen on the M3s is a very nice feature.

On the other hand, like 85% of the members who come to the classes are new to indoor cycling and the screen confuses the heck out of them.

I tried to explain different zones where they should be at based on how much difficulty levels they feel and to adjust accordingly but they are lost.

I tried to teach with the watts during first week of April but decided to drop it since they had no clue what i was saying.

Today, a new summer schedule began and i decided to give the Watts another chance.

I asked them to sprint as much as possible for 10 secs then look at their watts and that this would be their 100%. Then, I would ask them during class to go at different % of that after and to play with the RPM and gear to affect the watts.

So just came back from class. I saw many confused faces and got some feedback that my new music is not as good as the old one. This kind of sucks specially that I spent a lot of time yesterday preparing the new music for the new class.

I also had new members today that were chatty Kathys as some of ou guys call them, mic problems and overall, class did not go too well.

So any suggestions for the watts?

By the way, I asked the members and none of the other instructors in this gym use watts to teach.

I must say though that for the members who have been coming regularly to my class, there is a big noticeable difference in their strength and ability to climb and sprint now so it makes me feel great to see this difference.

Now time to work on the music for a new class that is on the new schedule that begins tomorrow at 6:45 am. Hope i can wake up on time

Moot

Hi from Vancouver. Also in a new facility that opened May 1. Also M3's. None of the other instructors understand watts. I have trained outside with watts so have a good grasp. Also done a bit of reading on watts.

Get yourself a book like 'Training and Racing with a Power Meter' by Hunter Allen and Andrew Coggan, Ph.D., Velo Press.

Also, as a member of ICI/Pro, you have access to the blog/postings by Gino Nacey. He has done a lot of background work on using power.

Power is to cycling in the 2010's what heart rate monitors were to cycling in the 1980's. Hmm, heart monitors haven't caught on for indoor cycling yet...

I did a functional power threshold field test in my class tonight on the M3's. The advantage here is that participants don't have to have a heart rate monitor. They just have to remember their FPT. We will use that in the classes.

I don't worry about teaching new classes about zones. My focus is on getting them to work at a certain percentage of their threshold. I talk about the need to mix up their training, doing a variety of workouts to see improvement. I leave the zone stuff to the more diligent riders - the ones who are training.
    Work and train smart, not hard. But be smart enough to know that sometimes it does take hard work to accomplish your goals.

Follow me on Twitter

Here a link to an (old) introduction to Training w Power (by A. Coggan)
    http://www.midweekclub.ca/articles/coggan.pdf

as CycleGuy has already wrote, a very good reference is:
    "Get yourself a book like 'Training and Racing with a Power Meter' by Hunter Allen and Andrew Coggan, Ph.D., Velo Press."

Ciao Matteo

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by matteobma View Post
    Here a link to an (old) introduction to Training w Power (by A. Coggan)
    http://www.midweekclub.ca/articles/coggan.pdf

as CycleGuy has already wrote, a very good reference is:
    "Get yourself a book like 'Training and Racing with a Power Meter' by Hunter Allen and Andrew Coggan, Ph.D., Velo Press."

Ciao Matteo
    I also recommend you add Coggan's book to your library, as it was instrumental along with a book by Dr. Phil Skiba on Training with Power. His website is: http://physfarm.com/index.html

But, you may just find that while the book is fantastic for dedicated and elite cyclists who can afford to train with power meters on their outdoor bikes, it requires a great deal of interpretation for your indoor class.

It was actually these books that inspired me to write an eBook on Training with Power based on my work with the Keiser m3. I not only needed a firm handle on taking advantage of the new technology, but more importantly, I had a staff of 10 other instructors who were looking to me to show them how to do the same for their classes at my Indoor Cycling Studio in PA. After about 18 months of research (including outdoor validation) and testing with lots of willing "guinea pigs", I published it.

Hopefully you'll never tire of learning, as this field is full of materials to digest. I hope my book, with being specific to indoor cycling helps to shorten the learning curve and hasten the understanding.

Best of luck.
    Gene (Gino) Nacey
    Master Heart Zones Instructor
    Spinning Instructor
    USA Cycling Coach
    Owner, Global Ride Training Center &
    Global Ride Productions (virtual cycling DVDs)
    Founder, Cycling Fusion

Always finish strong!

Follow me on Twitter
    Follow me on FaceBook

Gene, I was just poking around here looking for info on the Keiser M3 bikes. One of my clubs may purchase them. We now have one as a trial & I am clueless
    on how to set up. If we go with them I'll be buying your book
    Paul Schwartzmyer
    Amherst, NY
    The boy on a bike
    Going round & round
    Star ***

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorD13 View Post
    Gene, I was just poking around here looking for info on Keiser bikes. One of my clubs may purchase them. We now have one as a trial & I am clueless
    on how to set up. If we go with them I'll be buying your book
    Paul Schwartzmyer
    Amherst, NY
    Thanks for the support, Paul. The book will be useful for any bike with a console that displays Power. I don't think they will be disappointed if they go with the Keiser. Our members love them. I'm currently trying to build some bridges with the Schwinn folks too, as their power bike should be out in 2011. Soon, maybe 3 years from now, power will be the standard on every IC bike. At least we hope so
    Gene (Gino) Nacey
    Master Heart Zones Instructor
    Spinning Instructor
    USA Cycling Coach
    Owner, Global Ride Training Center &
    Global Ride Productions (virtual cycling DVDs)
    Founder, Cycling Fusion

Always finish strong!

Follow me on Twitter
    Follow me on FaceBook

Default are wats u see on feedback from m3 the same watts as outside bikes,machines in gym ec

the bikes on the gym floor that have fit test ect, and the m3 and the kinectic trainers, outside computers with the power watts, are they calibrated the same and mean the same, woulld the watts mean the same power on all outlet feedbacks the same? thanks for the answer to this question,
    Lori

8. Default Resistance on keiser M3 bike

I'm looking into buying Gene's book since we got our 30 keiser M3 bikes. Since our previous bikes were not working well including resitance, nobody was really working with the resistance. Now that we got our brand new bikes, everybody is ready to add more gear. In the meantime, some instructors are telling students to set the gear to 24 (out of 1 thru 24), or pretty close to maximum. Since I was not at the class, I don't know how fast everybody was going, but have you guys go all the way up? I also found out(which is obvious) that most of heavy guys had their resistance all the way to 24 and comfortablly. I'm not sure what the instructor was trying to accomplish by suggesting everybody to increase the resistance to 24. Am I not getting something? Any comments referring to the resistance are welcome, and appreciated. Thank you

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by yumipon View Post
    I'm looking into buying Gene's book since we got our 30 keiser M3 bikes. Since our previous bikes were not working well including resitance, nobody was really working with the resistance. Now that we got our brand new bikes, everybody is ready to add more gear. In the meantime, some instructors are telling students to set the gear to 24 (out of 1 thru 24), or pretty close to maximum. Since I was not at the class, I don't know how fast everybody was going, but have you guys go all the way up? I also found out(which is obvious) that most of heavy guys had their resistance all the way to 24 and comfortablly. I'm not sure what the instructor was trying to accomplish by suggesting everybody to increase the resistance to 24. Am I not getting something? Any comments referring to the resistance are welcome, and appreciated. Thank you
    A bigger, heavier guy might be able to turn the pedals at 24, but that frail looking woman beside him probably couldn't turn the pedals at 24 if she fell from the ceiling and landed on the pedal.

Gear selection will be specific for everyone. Gearing is the resistance on the bike. Resistance along with the velocity (cadence) determine the power. Power is relative to weight and fitness. Heavier riders will (typically) produce more power than an equally fit lighter rider. They are just use to moving their heavier body through life, up stairs, hills, etc. A heavier rider will be able to push a higher gear. Simplified equation: resistance x velocity = power, then resistance = power/velocity. Do the math. You will see the truth.

An instructor who asks participants to ride at a specific gear does not understand how the bikes work, what fitness is nor how to train participants correctly.
    Last edited by CycleGuy; 10-07-2010 at 01:06 AM.
    Work and train smart, not hard. But be smart enough to know that sometimes it does take hard work to accomplish your goals.

Follow me on Twitter

If we have someone in class who always gives 110%, should they be at 26 or 27?

11. Default Maximum gear

001cy2-300x300
    Hi cycle guy! Thank you very much for your comments. I taught the class this morning, and told the class precisely how you put it. "A bigger, heavier guy might be able to turn the pedals at 24, but that frail looking woman beside him probably couldn't turn the pedals at 24 if she fell from the ceiling and landed on the pedal." Guys laughed, but they got the message.

I may have sounded like correcting the other instructor, but....they were leading the class incorrectly. I feel bit strange when I make a statement which makes other instructor being incorrect..... especially when the students know whom I'm referring to.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast