Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maui?

Default Maui?

I'll be in Maui week of March 27 to April 3. Mostly chilling with wife and friends. However, I would like to find a place to ride. Any suggestions?

Dave
    "I Ride What I See"

Dave,
    I suggest renting a bike and staying outside...
    SpinBob
    Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional
    Spotify

Default Good Advice

Nice Bob - I figured as much.

I've done a little research and found a 28 mile downhill bike ride starting at a 6700 foot summit of Haleakala. It winds down the slopes of the volcano eventually through sugar cane and pineapple fields ... continuing on to the Pacific Ocean and ending at Paia beach park.

The best recommendation is to start in the early morning and witness a spectacular sunrise. I'm excited about the trip and will probably do this ride.

I was also hoping one of the members teaches in the area, so I could take one of their classes.

Dave
    "I Ride What I See"

4. Default

We did that bike ride last summer. Our experience wasn't great. If you are bringing your own bike (or rent a really good one), it's not raining (it poured on our ride...tropical-style torrential downpour...), and are with others of similar outdoor experience it would be fun, though! Definitely bring your own helmet, otherwise they'll put you in a motocross helmet and you'll look like fool (and the locals honk at you). Try riding up Haleakala before you ride down - you'll get some wonderful experience riding steep switchbacks.

There's also a great 50 mile ride that runs along the coast from Lahaina to the south end - mostly flat. I can't find the info. on this computer but if I can get my old one up and running I'll post it for you.

As far as IDC classes are concerned, I have a Maui local who spends 2 months in my area every year and she comes to my classes when she stays here. She said the pickings are very, very slim for IDC and the facilities are not so great. I believe she mentioned a gym in Napili that she goes to with one really good instructor. Napili's pretty small - I bet you could figure out which one it is fairly easily.

Have fun! Maui is our favorite "kick-back" vacation spot and we try to get there at least every couple of years to recharge our batteries. Swim with the turtles, eat lunch at Cheeseburger in Paradise, take a sunset cruise, and have a mai tai for me!

Thumbs up Great Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by sweeneybiker View Post
    Have fun! Maui is our favorite "kick-back" vacation spot and we try to get there at least every couple of years to recharge our batteries. Swim with the turtles, eat lunch at Cheeseburger in Paradise, take a sunset cruise, and have a mai tai for me!
    I really appreciate the feedback. It has got me second guessing the tour. I did not plan on taking my own bike and gear, because we want to travel light. The 50 mile ride sounds interesting, though. Most of all its about the R & R and your last suggestion is the best -
    TWO MAI TAIs PLEASE!
    "I Ride What I See"

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Nice Bob - I figured as much.

I've done a little research and found a 28 mile downhill bike ride starting at a 6700 foot summit of Haleakala. It winds down the slopes of the volcano eventually through sugar cane and pineapple fields ... continuing on to the Pacific Ocean and ending at Paia beach park.

Dave
    If the 'ride' is downhill, then there must be an opportunity to ride uphill.

Quote Originally Posted by sweeneybiker View Post
    We did that bike ride last summer. Our experience wasn't great. If you are bringing your own bike (or rent a really good one), it's not raining (it poured on our ride...tropical-style torrential downpour...), and are with others of similar outdoor experience it would be fun, though! Definitely bring your own helmet, otherwise they'll put you in a motocross helmet and you'll look like fool (and the locals honk at you). Try riding up Haleakala before you ride down - you'll get some wonderful experience riding steep switchbacks.
    Always pack pedals, shoes and helmet when travelling if you're not able to bring your bike. Often very easy to rent a bike and with your own gear, you'll enjoy it much more.
    Work and train smart, not hard. But be smart enough to know that sometimes it does take hard work to accomplish your goals.

Follow me on Twitter

Default Paradise Found

I had a great trip in Maui. It was truly paradise, but bring lots of money.
    "I Ride What I See"

8. Default

I've been thinkin' about you, Dave - green with envy. My family has been talking about another trip there early next spring - we're longing for some tropical sunshine! I hope you are tan and relaxed. If you are, it was worth the $$.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    I had a great trip in Maui. It was truly paradise, but bring lots of money.
    Did you ride (inside or out)? We rented bikes in Maui once, it was very hard to find roads that weren't dangerous, narrow and clogged with cars filled with tourists (the latter a recipe for disaster, IMO). But we did ride up the Haleakala Highway and Kula Hwy to Pulehu - some great views both to the north and south. But oh so hot and humid. Coming from the Rocky Mtns I can't deal with humidity like that so we cut the ride short.

10. Default

you MUST ride up Haleakela! I do an iseide ride a few times a year where we visualize our ride to the top. The perfect scenario would be to time the ride so you arrive at the peak before sunrise. Then pedal down. I would estimate you would have to start around 1-3AM to do that.

My next trip there (probably wishful thinking) I will be ready to bike it!

Default Riding in Maui

001cy2-300x300
    Quote Originally Posted by Funhog View Post
    Did you ride (inside or out)?
    I decided to take a break from riding for the week. Spent lots of time swimming, hiking, and exploring some of the other wonders Maui had to offer. However, I did get the itch everytime I saw a cyclist ride by. Maybe next time.
    "I Ride What I See"