Sportsmith 1000 banner

Thread: Using Cleats on Star Trac spinners

1. Default Using Cleats on Star Trac spinners

Hi

One of the clubs I go to has recently changed our spinning bikes, they ditched the Kiesers and now using brand new Star Trac spinners.

They causing me one big problem. I use SPD cleats on them.

When I clip in, they go in very easy...too easy for my liking...well what I mean is when I use bikes like Kiesers in the past, they clip in and you can hear the cleat makes that "snapping clip" noise, they are a tight fit and your shoes are in solid and safe...this is not the case with Star Trac.

When I clip into these new spinners, I can slide my shoe a little bit to side to side, this is bad. Because when we on a track which involves fast sprinting, my shoes pops out, and it's gone and happen on a few of those bikes I used, it not just the one or two. This is really getting unsafe, fortunate I can able to lift my leg up to clear from the free spinning crank/pedal and while I apply the brake on the flywheel quickly...imagine what would happen if I had an instructor who took the class and did hill climb sprints while standing up

I don't know yet if any others at my gym having these problems, as at the moment i'm in the morning classes for a while (shift work) and other ppl who also use them are often in the evening classes. But I can't believe I not the only person there having these problems...more or less, ain't most SPD cleats are the same aren't they?

I never ever had any problems on other bikes in the past and I use a few different ones now.

Any anybody come across these problems before?
    Is there something I can get for my cleats to stop this?
    I really don't want to go back to trainers....that would be hell!!
    Last edited by amo; 01-18-2010 at 02:49 PM.

It sounds like the tension on the release mechanism may need adjusting.

The Spinners have a pedal system made by Wellgo. The cleat type is 98-A and is slightly different than a Shimano SPD cleat. Check with your local bike shop to see if they can help you out.

Quote Originally Posted by amo View Post
    When I clip into these new spinners, I can slide my shoe a little bit to side to side, this is bad. Because when we on a track which involves fast sprinting, my shoes pops out, and it's gone and happen on a few of those bikes I used, it not just the one or two. This is really getting unsafe, fortunate I can able to lift my leg up to clear from the free spinning crank/pedal and while I apply the brake on the flywheel quickly...imagine what would happen if I had an instructor who took the class and did hill climb sprints while standing up
    Based on you comments above it sounds like you're working at a cadence that is way too fast without enough resistance. In any sprint, you cadence should not go above 110 and your resistance should be pretty heavy. If not, it's like trying to go 100 miles per hour (or 160 km per hour) with you in first gear. Sprinting is a significant increase in resistance (shifting to a bigger gear) without a significant increase in cadence.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by RaffCycles View Post
    It sounds like the tension on the release mechanism may need adjusting.

The Spinners have a pedal system made by Wellgo. The cleat type is 98-A and is slightly different than a Shimano SPD cleat. Check with your local bike shop to see if they can help you out.
    Thanks mate, you’re a life saver

I've ordered some anyhow now on ebay, shouldn’t take too long to come and hopefully they will end my nightmare, for some reason they seem to be showing on ebay as their availablility only from the US, not UK so I am being to wonder if my local bike shop will have them Probably only in the Major Bike Shops miles away from me.

Quote Originally Posted by RaffCycles View Post
    Based on you comments above it sounds like you're working at a cadence that is way too fast without enough resistance. In any sprint, you cadence should not go above 110 and your resistance should be pretty heavy. If not, it's like trying to go 100 miles per hour (or 160 km per hour) with you in first gear. Sprinting is a significant increase in resistance (shifting to a bigger gear) without a significant increase in cadence

Yeah, probably, I agree.

Only most of our instructors encourage the members to go like a bat out of hell, touching nearly 140, while lightening up slightly. And I think most ppl in the spinning class lighten their resistance as they tend to feel they are in competition with each other to go the fastest.

Quote Originally Posted by amo View Post
    Only most of our instructors encourage the members to go like a bat out of hell, touching nearly 140, while lightening up slightly. And I think most ppl in the spinning class lighten their resistance as they tend to feel they are in competition with each other to go the fastest.
    Yeah, but you don't buy into that do you?
    You can break them of this habit with educating them and showing them that speed of the legs does NOT translate into effective calorie burning. If you had power meters on the bike, you would see that you'd actually INCREASE power output (which means burning more calories) by slowing down the legs and adding more resistance.

They want a real competition? Gear up baby! Otherwise they're going nowhere real fast...

Just keep telling your riders that "sprinting" (if that's what they call it) with so little resistance than they can go at 140+rpm, is like riding when your chain's come off the chainring - legs may be moving quickly but it's zero effort.

As for the bikes, are they the solid black pedals (not the traditional cages)? If so, I've found it's a problem on every such pedal - it's as if it's either set way too loose or it's been recessed too deep into the pedal and the platform prevents me clicking in properly.
    See me on the blog - Spinning profiles, training tips, thoughts on life, and anything else I can think of sharing!

Tighten the mechanism with an Allen key. The dome top Allen head bolt is located within the pedal body (usually covered in lint and fluff. Turn it to the right and feel the indexing (a feeling of a click). 3-5 clicks and they are all good to go. 30 seconds work.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    As for the bikes, are they the solid black pedals (not the traditional cages)? If so, I've found it's a problem on every such pedal - it's as if it's either set way too loose or it's been recessed too deep into the pedal and the platform prevents me clicking in properly.
    Yeah, look large and square black pedals.

Spoke a free-lance instructor who teaches in about 8 different clubs, who there one day a week, although I don't do a class with him there, but I known for years from elsewhere, a well respected bloke who knows his cycling, the bikes are doing his head in aswell, he told me he nearly fell off one the other day.

He tried tighten up the release mechanism, but they only go so far, and is still not the answer.

Ask him about the Wellgo cleats, he will look into it, he says the Wellgos are longer in size than the Shaminos, but we will see...

In the meantime, I'm writing a very stiff letter to the Leisure Club Head Office in London, in hope they will start banging some heads together at the management at my club, this is ridicious..someone going to get injury soon
    Last edited by amo; 01-21-2010 at 03:59 PM.

001cy2-300x300
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Just keep telling your riders that "sprinting" (if that's what they call it) with so little resistance than they can go at 140+rpm, is like riding when your chain's come off the chainring - legs may be moving quickly but it's zero effort.
    I tell them.." I only know one special group of people cycling so fast on their bikes, they get a lot of money for cycling this way and we call them 6 Day Cycler! If you are one of this special group do what you want, if not add resistance!"
    Andi