Thread: Indoor cycle room design & marketing ideas

1. Default Indoor cycle room design & marketing ideas

Hi!
    PUH-LEEEEESE add a forum to discuss cycling room renovations and class marketing ideas! Attached are a few photos from my most recent renovation in Albany, Georgia (yes, I design indoor cycling rooms)!

I just completed Podcast #52 on Indoorcycleinstructor.com with a PDF download showing my Spinning room as well as as 20 minute interview detailing marketing ideas I've used to explode our class from 10 to 50 in over a year!!! Just won Facility of the Month on Spinning.com

Barbara
    spinningdesign@hotmail.com
    Last edited by IndoorCycleDesign; 08-06-2009 at 11:34 AM.

Barbara,
    I think both of those topics fall comfortably under the existing "Professional Development" forum.
    SpinBob
    Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional
    Spotify

3. Default

Thanks for the reply. Is it possible for you to add a category under Professional Development called Cycling Room Designs?

It might be a good idea to have a subcategory called "Cycling rooms - design, layout, ideas, other issues" (or whatever) to cover anything related to the room the bikes are in.

5. Default

Jennifer, there seems to be enormous interest in my part of the world about cycling facility issues: suggested air temperature for the room, overhead fans on/off, floors - carpet for sound absorption (spa waterproof grade) or hardwood flooring. Are rubber mats necessary under each bike? Those are the issues which have nothing to do with the ride, yet are critical for class comfort. Is there a suggested temperature to conduct a class? I cannot find a definitive answer from anyone in the business. I'm working on a US Marine base Spinning installation and need answers to these type of questions...HELP! A subcategory would be very helpful....hey, nice chatting with you again. I'm sorry the ride in August at our club didn't work out - know you're very busy! Thanks!! barbara

Quote Originally Posted by spinningdesign View Post
    Jennifer, there seems to be enormous interest in my part of the world about cycling facility issues: suggested air temperature for the room, overhead fans on/off, floors - carpet for sound absorption (spa waterproof grade) or hardwood flooring. Are rubber mats necessary under each bike? Those are the issues which have nothing to do with the ride, yet are critical for class comfort. Is there a suggested temperature to conduct a class? I cannot find a definitive answer from anyone in the business. I'm working on a US Marine base Spinning installation and need answers to these type of questions...HELP! A subcategory would be very helpful....hey, nice chatting with you again. I'm sorry the ride in August at our club didn't work out - know you're very busy! Thanks!! barbara
    August is turning out to be oppressively busy, especially now that I'm going to Can Fit Pro ( but mostly because of our house sale/building issues), but not to worry, I WILL be calling you to work out a time!

I agree, this is one area, and an important one, that we tend to leave out, yet it can set the stage for our classes. I think one reason is because most instructors have nothing to do with the layout, design, comfort, etc of the Spin room so they feel they can do nothing about it. Or maybe they feel their concerns and desires for better rooms conditions fall on deaf ears. Well, maybe they can do more, or say more, or at least, maybe we can attract more club owners, managers or program directors to this site to learn about the most effective way to design and manage the actual cycle room. (Right Spinbob?! ;-) ) And maybe while they're here learning about that, they'll see what is important in the actual content of their classes!

7. Default

001cy2-300x300
    Yes, some instructors don't have an interest in the facility but many do. I've taught in cycling rooms which are filthy & used as storage for extra gym equipment! A gym's room design should a catalyst to attract students- more students means more instructors/classes-and in the end, the cycling instructor is the real winner. Maybe we can nudge SpinBob again...