Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Power - Wattage - It's Here

1. Default

How about some prices.
    Howard

Quote Originally Posted by danielle View Post
    This bike ESTIMATES power, it does not MEASURE power.....
    Danielle
    Have you seen specs?

This technology has the potential to be accurate if it can be calibrated.

3. Default

I have a source in the power meter manufacturing world that I highly respect, and what I posted was their reply to this particular bike.

Danielle

I have a source in the power meter manufacturing world that I highly respect, and what I posted was their reply to this particular bike.

Danielle
    I'd be interested in learning more.

The engineer in me is curious.

This bike ESTIMATES power, it does not MEASURE power.....
    Danielle
    The specs say current output of power. It also cumulates calories and distance. Between the calories, distance, average HR plotted against the specific profile, I imagine I can develope some sort of statistical model on an Excel Spread sheet that will suffice the casual IDC participant. In other words...here's a cum results of the 3...lets work harder this time...increase x watts and see the results.

Obviously, the Cycle-ops is a higher end operation...Shouldn't be in the discussion because this bike is designed more for the masses. Giving the masses this type of readout is a huge step in the right direction.
    AC - Due to extreme high call volume, you may experience delays.

Quote Originally Posted by ACinNJ View Post
    The specs say current output of power. It also cumulates calories and distance.
    Kind of a half-*ssed way of doing it, but with an easy to develop spreadsheet you could back calculate an estimate of average power from calories (assuming they were smart and calculate their calorie burn from power, not HR). When you account for unit conversions and efficiencies, dietary Calorie burn is pretty much equivalent to kilojoules. Divide by training time and presto, you have average power for the ride. The key will then be giving a hard class (essentially a 1 x 40 interval or equivalent) to allow everyone to estimate their own threshold power number. Establishing training levels will then be straightforward.

As for Keiser, talk about dropping the ball when they were close to having a real training tool to market. Geez, a little more memory and features in their computer and something equivalent to a coast down calibration procedure and they could have had a winner.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd S View Post
    Kind of a half-*ssed way of doing it, but with an easy to develop spreadsheet you could back calculate an estimate of average power from calories (assuming they were smart and calculate their calorie burn from power, not HR). When you account for unit conversions and efficiencies, dietary Calorie burn is pretty much equivalent to kilojoules. Divide by training time and presto, you have average power for the ride. The key will then be giving a hard class (essentially a 1 x 40 interval or equivalent) to allow everyone to estimate their own threshold power number. Establishing training levels will then be straightforward.

As for Keiser, talk about dropping the ball when they were close to having a real training tool to market. Geez, a little more memory and features in their computer and something equivalent to a coast down calibration procedure and they could have had a winner.
    Making the assumption that they DO calculate the calories from wattage, because from what I saw of the electronics, unless you have the transmitter on your chest, HR is not calculated. Since the facility is also brand new, I will want to see who is attending and what the audience for this much information is. There are so many things I WILL be able to do, getting that together will be interesting enough...plus all my own reading ahead to get somewhat up to speed.

Setting up a spreadsheet model is kind of how I actually get paid realtime...so I just have to learn how to weigh each number for contribution value.

The CTS wattage profiles are very interesting to research...with videos for $10 each downloadable. The interval profiles are much more intense in some cases that a typical "Spinning" interval profile meaning harder periods followed by longer recoveries.

OrrvilleBill Guest

Default Finding a gym?

I tried to find a way to search for a Keiser location near me on their website. Can you point me in the right direction?

I am envious. The bikes look great. Power training is a great advantage.

Concurrent profiles is an interesting concept. I usually play a different sort of music for time trialing than for intervals. I would like to get a better idea of how your profile/music looks. Being a Spinning instructor, I may not be grasping the Keiser way. Happy trails, Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by OrrvilleBill View Post
    I tried to find a way to search for a Keiser location near me on their website. Can you point me in the right direction?

I am envious. The bikes look great. Power training is a great advantage.

Concurrent profiles is an interesting concept. I usually play a different sort of music for time trialing than for intervals. I would like to get a better idea of how your profile/music looks. Being a Spinning instructor, I may not be grasping the Keiser way. Happy trails, Bill.
    The concurrent profiles in not Keiser's idea...it's mine. It could work along the lines of doing an IEZ in 1/3 of the class a race day or Time Trial format in another thrid and say an Endurance type ride in the other third. Music...probably a 130 BPM across the entire ride. The EEZ portion starting maybe 10 minutes earlier and ending 10-20 minutes after.

On the Keiser Home page it flashes the facilities that have gotten the M3.

If you're in NJ, central part, PM me and be a guest.

001cy2-300x300
    AC this is the statement I was waiting to see "I will want to see who is attending and what the audience for this much information is." I was surprised it took you a couple of posts to say this. Don't set your expectations too high my friend, or you may become exacerbated when people don't 'get' what you want from them.

I would love such bikes in my facilities BUT I'd be banging my head against a wall out of sheer frustration, as all they wanted was to peddle and sweat.

Keep us informed of how it all goes for you, and the types of unique profiles that you manage to create -
    Cycle Happy!
    EuroD
    Cycle Instructor Emeritus
    Star 3 Spinning Instructor
    Schwinn Certified Cycle Instructor
    AFAA Primary Certification

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast