Head1500

Thread: Embarassing Question

Fletcher Guest

Default Embarassing Question

Ok, this is embarassing, but I'm hoping someone has a good solution. How do you get the stink out of your cycling shorts? No matter what I do, it's hard to get the chamois, um, fresh. I do shower on a regular basis, and I'm not unusually smelly, but I'm at my wit's end. I have some very nice shorts, and I don't want to have to trash them. Any thoughts?

2. Default

I would say wash them with detergent.

dlr Guest

If you've had them for a while, and you've been using them on a regular basis, you may have to trash them anyway. The more you use them, the more worn they get, and the harder it is to get the stink out.

If it hasn't been a while, try adding about a half cup of vinegar to your wash before you start the wash cycle. That always worked for my most challenging odor issues. However, you will need to wash with vinegar all the time. By the way, it's white vinegar to be used, ok?

Whenever you finish your ride, fill the sink with cold water and detergent, and throw your cycling clothes in there. Leave them soaking for about an hour, then be sure to do your laundry at least every few days. Don't let funky clothes sit around festering.

Good luck!

dlr
    in Chicago

I have found that putting my shorts in the dryer (on a high setting) after washing helps get the funk out of older shorts. dlr is right sometimes you just have to say goodbye to even the best of shorts.... it's hard, but just start a fire, say a few choice words and then say "goodbye." by cerimoniously burning them.

Fletcher Guest

Thanks, guys. I always wash them right away, but I'll try the vinegar!

dlr Guest

Yes, and also, I would definitely NOT dry them in a hot dryer. After you thoroughly wash them, allow them to hang dry. Heat will always set a stain and set a smell too, and you don't want that. As my clothes get older, I tend to hang them dry rather than put them in the dryer. They last longer that way.

dlr
    in Chicago

7. Default

I put then on "hot" cycle and used detergent with a scoop of Oxyclean. I let them soak overnight and run the rest of the cycle in the morning. It seems to work. I've also heard of taking a solid deodorant and rubbing that directly onto your shorts (where you need it).

8. Default

Febreeze works well also!

After I wash them, I spray that area with Febreeze. Helps a lot.

MitchNY Guest

001cy2-300x300
    I would try tomato Juice. At least I heard it works for skunk spay.

I found this link on removing odors .

http://www.humboldt.edu/~wfw2/deodorize.shtml