Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Numb Hands

Question Numb Hands

Need some help here:

I took a 2.5 hour road ride this past Saturday, and ever since my wrists have been really sore. Yesterday I noticed that my right wrist in particular was starting to feel odd and I didn't want to apply pressure to anything with my right hand. Today both of my hands are feeling numb and tingly. Could all of this be a result of my ride on Saturday? I don't usually ride my road bike, and nothing else in my regular fitness or daily routines has really changed this week.

Any thoughts? Should I see a doctor???

Becca,

Did you have your bike setup done by a pro at a bike shop? I'd have the bike fit checked first to see if there is an issue there. And if not, see your doctor to have carpal tunnel ruled out. I have it in both wrists, but it is controlled with wearing wrist braces at night (that's when it get worse).

When riding, I try to change hand positions frequently. If it gets really bad, sometimes I'll rest one hand behind my back to take the pressure off and give it a break.

Good luck.

T

Quote Originally Posted by tdeckert View Post
    Becca,

Did you have your bike setup done by a pro at a bike shop? I'd have the bike fit checked first to see if there is an issue there. And if not, see your doctor to have carpal tunnel ruled out. I have it in both wrists, but it is controlled with wearing wrist braces at night (that's when it get worse).

When riding, I try to change hand positions frequently. If it gets really bad, sometimes I'll rest one hand behind my back to take the pressure off and give it a break.

Good luck.

T
    Hmmm...I got my road bike used from a friend of mine, and yeah, I took it over to a LBS and they said it seemed to fit me alright. I have another LBS that I can take it over to this weekend to get re-checked. This past weekend I felt pretty comfortable with my hands on the top of the handlebars, but riding on the drops or brake hoods was NOT comfortable at all, so I was pretty much on the tops of the handlebars the whole ride. Is that how it's supposed to be?

Thanks T!

Becca

It is extremly important to change hand positions. It is possible you are leaning to far forward. With your hands on the bars next the stem you should not be able to see the axle of the front wheel. You can adjust the stem length to achieve this position. maybe raising the bars slightly would help also. The width of the bars should also match the width of your shoulders.

MAX

raptor Guest

My road bike position puts too much of my weight on my hands. I know this because they often bug me with numbness when I ride it. That works as it's my signal to shake and/or move them.

As a computer professional for decades, I'm all over carpal tunnel syndrome. If your wrists are bent for any length of time it seems to invite CTS. On your bike & at your keyboard, keep your wrists naturally straight. And yes, that's very hard to do on a road bike.

I believe (no studies to cite but it makes sense) that training the muscles of your forearms will help you deal with or avoid CTS.

And of course you should see a doctor if the problem doesn't clear up soon.

Lynn

Quote Originally Posted by raptor View Post
    I believe (no studies to cite but it makes sense) that training the muscles of your forearms will help you deal with or avoid CTS.
    Lynn, unless you have hard studies to cite that training the muscles of your forearms will help you with CTS, then I would not engage in that type training!
    "If Ida seed youa comin Ida knowed what to do, Ida riz both arms and wove at you" ……….Ernest T Bass

Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by raptor View Post
    I believe (no studies to cite but it makes sense) that training the muscles of your forearms will help you deal with or avoid CTS.Lynn
    Lynn, I'm currently back in therapy for my bum arm...we are currently working on strengthening my forearm to help support my pathetic wrist.
    “euphoric fitness – a state where every fiber of your being is awake, aware, alive but within it all, you find calm."

I have 1 simple cue for CTS at the desk....keep the elbow even with the wrist. I put a return on the side of my desk so my arm has a place to rest.
    AC - Due to extreme high call volume, you may experience delays.

If you do a Google or Yahoo search for "handlebar palsy" you will see that this is similar to, but not the same as, carpal tunnel. You are pressing on various parts and nerves of your hand by maintaining one hand position on the handlebars. I was diagnosed with this last winter and told to use gel or padded gloves both indoors and out. It's not correctable (since you are basically crushing nerves) and will get progressively worse if you don't do something about it now. You have to be careful too because the ulnar nerve (which was my problem) runs up your arm to your trapezius and can give you all sorts of related back issues as well.

I, too, purchased a used bike several months ago. I'm having finger numbness and waking-up at night with stiff elbows. Apparently, my bike doesn't fit my body type. I have a long torso. I'm forced to stretch. Not only does it have a tendency to lock my elbows, but forces me to ride toward the tip of the saddle. I had my handlebar stem replaced, but it's still too long. Shaking-out my hands and routinely changing handbar positions provides some relief.

When I purchase my new bike next riding season, I will be measured from head to toe. That's for sure.

001cy2-300x300
    I also forgot double wrapping the handle bars with tape is a trick the pros use like Paris to Roubiax. They have to race over extremely rough cobble stone sections. Yes bike fit is important the last thing we do is have the person sit on the bike with their hands on the top of the bars and look for the front axle. The handle bars should hide the axle. This is the final process in the fit.

MAX